Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bathroom etiquette with young kids

SkinInsite

My 2 and 4 year old nieces are staying with me for the week while their parents runs away from home (2nd honeymoon). What's the rule on using the ladies room when nature calls in public, usually I just have the GF take them but she's out of town for the weekend leaving me with 3 small/messy/smelly dependents (2 kids and a puppy).

My sister said she prefer for me to use the ladies room but if I'm uncomfortable I can use the Men's once I make sure it's empty. Personally I just don't want get arrested for being a perv.

I think generally, your gender rules the day in these situations. Taking them into the men's room and having them use the stall is going to be less of a hassle than trying to go into the ladies room as a grown man. Or you could just not go out and stay in a house with all three of them for the entire weekend.

It's been awhile since I had this issue but I never, I repeat NEVER took my daughters into the ladies room. Seems like trouble if you ask me.

I took my kids into the men's room, made sure the potty area was clean and placed them in the stall while I waited on the other side of the door.

It's always a tough spot to be in because I don't think there is a comfortable solution.

I'll add, I never checked the bathroom before we went in, seems like someone may be a tad overprotective (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I have 2 and 5 year old girls. I never take them in the ladies room, and I don't know anybody that does take kids of the opposite sex to the proper restroom w/ the adult entering with the kid. The 5 year old will use the bathroom by herself and has been for a while in most cases, and I just wait outside so that might work okay w/ the 4 year old. The 2 year old goes in the mens room. If I have to go, they both come in with me.

I don't even worry about the men's room being empty.

What kind of places will you be going to? Some have family restrooms which are nice if you have small kids.

It's not appropriate at all for you to go into the women's room though. I'd say go with what Kaos said above, and don't try to go to the bathroom at a Wal-Mart or some place like that where the bathrooms are generally crappy.

I'm seriously clueless when it comes to young kids, I didn't even consider this until my sister brought it up.

I'm surprise she even considered leaving me her spawn without GF supervision.

I had a panic attack when my brother left me his kids, I hired a childproof safety consultant when they were going to stay with me for 3 days and were 6 and 8.

The rule of thumb I use is 5yrs old. I have 2 girls, and took them in to the mens room with me until they were 5. Around 6 ish, they seemed old enough to try it alone, and it seems to work fine.

Taking a 9yr old girl in to the mens room would be strange for the child, and probably for most of the men.

Toddler girl in men's room = no problem. Adult man in ladies room = big problem. Take her into the men's room with a pack of disinfectant wipes. Clean up before she sits and supervise like you would any other kid.

This isn't even a question. Little girls go into the men's room when there's no female to take them. I'd agree in general with the 5-and-under rule, most kids by age 6 are old enough to go by themselves. When you have say a 7 and a 3, in something like a shopping mall, you might have the older child stay just inside the door to the men's rather than leave them alone outside for a few minutes. But under no circumstances does a man go into the ladies. Your sister has a husband, doesn't he ever take the kids out by himself?

Use the mens room if you have to go out and they have to use the bathroom.

I'd strongly suggest if you need to go out to get food, you use the drive thru. Going out with kids that age can be bad. Horrible if they're not your own.

I'm seriously clueless when it comes to young kids, I didn't even consider this until my sister brought it up.

I'm surprise she even considered leaving me her spawn without GF supervision.

I had a panic attack when my brother left me his kids, I hired a childproof safety consultant when they were going to stay with me for 3 days and were 6 and 8.

You are 28 years old. You should not be this worried about taking care of kids!

LOL at seeing you walk into the ladies room with two young girls. Where are they going to wait when you are being booked by local LE and have to register as a sex offender????

Here's a few real suggestions. First, NEVER let young girls (or even boys) go into a bathroom alone, even if you are just outside. Period.

Take them into the men's room with you. Try to get a big stall and make sure you clean it before letting them use it. If you aren't comfortable in the stall when they 'go', wait outside of the stall and help as needed. It's really not a big deal and most men have seen young girls in the bathroom before.

Lastly, don't let them touch anything in there. We all know how gross some guys can be in the bathroom.

Good luck.

Yeah the whole thing is just uncomfortable to me, maybe staying inside and letting them destroy the house is a better solution.

I can always hire a cleaning service.

Dude its not that big of a deal. Just go to Chuck E Cheese, and let them have a ball. When they have to go potty, just use the men's room. Screw what anyone else thinks. And hell, its not like most people haven't been in your shoes at one time or another.

And when you're at home, go to your local pool and let them swim. Or if you want to stay at home, let them play outside most of the weekend (if its not too hot). Maybe get one of those portable plastic swimming pools?

Archived