Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UPDATE: Via Twitter(according to Stokely's agent) Stokely will not sign with Redskins

AboveLegit

Gaffney and Stokley are professionals. They're veterans who have been around the league. They've been on bad teams and they've been on good teams. They've always been content with playing their role, even if that's the 3rd or 4th WR. And they always produce. That's what we need. Enough of guys with "potential" who come in and think they are stars who will be our top WR soon. These guys never work out, at least not for us. We need veterans who are class acts.

When you have a locker room filled with veteran professionals, you can then bring in "potential" young guys. The young guys learn from those professionals, and if they don't, they'll get cut and we can save ourselves the headache. Or they learn the "right way" and they start playing up to their potential.

I agree!!! great post...I believe our front office has been trying to get rid of the bling prima donnas ...and add our roster with professional vets...so for the future ...when we go after serious proven pro vets will pick up on this...and want to play with a team who wants to win...vs players who brag about bling and just want to party...jmho

I bet Shanny and Allen are sitting at a computer right now and laughing their asses off.

Allen: Let's keep ****ing with them, who do you want to sign next?

Shanny: I know, I know, lets sign Fatass to a new signing bonus. That will make them go over the edge.

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

Yes, Larry Johnson and his 5 carries in 2 games was very traumatic.

Not really, but we would have been better off just going with the young RBs from the get go last year.

Just like we will be better off just going with the young WRs from the get go this year.

At least we're not giving these guys ridiculous contracts. Do we even know the prices on any of these WRs other than Gaffney (because of trade) and Moss (pretty reasonable deal)? I expect they're very small deals. We know not all of these guys are actually going to make the 53 man roster. So essentially some of these are nothing more than camp invites. If they have some talent, we keep them and don't have to pay them much. If they don't have it anymore, we cut them and lose nothing. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

These deals aren't stopping us from getting other positions of need. When we sign big free agents to big contracts that's when it hinders our other free agent signings because we have less money to spend. This isn't the case here. Complain when we sign a slightly above average WR to a huge contract. Not now.

Our team is garbage at the moment. It's time to rebuild. We're not going to find our future core players on the free agent market for cheap contracts. Get real guys.

I know we're used to winning the offseason Superbowl, and it's something we all have learned to look forward to, but just sit back, relax, and realize that it's okay that we're not making huge moves right now.

Do you see any of the top playoff teams making big moves right now? Be patient. We'll be okay.

Brandon Stokley, Jabbar Gaffney, etc = Training Camp/season mentors. My thoughts are that due to the lockout and the accelerated pace these rookies will be on once camp opens up they will need vets to guide them.

Isn't that what coaches are for?

And don't you think that due to the excellerated pace, the rookies could benefit from MORE practice reps instead of less?

Understand that Shanahan wants to create competition for jobs in camp, but #Redskins bringing in older talent at WR isn't a solution.

The Skins fanbase is lost and confused.

Yeah not stockpiling o linemen and having Roydell and Galloway flashbacks from the waste of roster space POV is confusing. Why not bring in Arizona's Free Agent WR to learn from and provide credible competition?

Brandon Stokley, Jabbar Gaffney, etc = Training Camp/season mentors. My thoughts are that due to the lockout and the accelerated pace these rookies will be on once camp opens up they will need vets to guide them.
Isn't that what coaches are for?

And don't you think that due to the excellerated pace, the rookies could benefit from MORE practice reps instead of less?

Yes but good locker room vets are invaluable. Good vets and can be coaches too.

We need 90 guys for camp, but not 75 WRs.

Would you honestly prefer we entered camp with Moss, Armstrong, Kelly, Banks, and Hankerson as our WRs again?

We all knew our receiving corps sucked going into free agency. It might not be that much better after these signings, but at least we're not completely standing pat.

Yeah not stockpiling o linemen and having Roydell and Galloway flashbacks from the waste of roster space POV is confusing. Why not bring in Arizona's Free Agent WR to learn from and provide credible competition?

Because then you'd actually have to pay him when you cut him?

The idea of "camp bodies" is like buying 20 different cheap printers to figure out which would work for your office instead of getting off your butt and doing research for the 1 or 2 actual quality ones. And hey if the 20 printers all suck and don't work then OH WELL it was cheap so no problem just throw them in the trash and buy 20 more.

This team has 2 signed cornerbacks and 14 signed wide receivers. If this team really cares about "camp bodies" then they bring in about 15 OL, 8 corners, 5 linebackers, 10 defensive linemen, and 3 more quarterbacks.

^ Maybe we did our "research" and found out that these guys were just as good as the more expensive options, and we could get these guys dirt cheap. Have a little faith.

Maybe we know that there are some more talented options out there, but they're going to get severely overpaid, and they won't be worth their price tag.

This is free agency. For the most part, players are going to go to the team that gives them the most money. Meaning that team is willing to pay that player more than every other team in the NFL. Meaning that player is probably overpaid.

Don't be stupid.

is it me ...

or do people ****ing freak out way toooooooo much???? :(

some of these posts are almost assuming the season IS LOST because of this signing ... jesus.

don't you need a lot of WR's in camp to keep everyone fresh and to give QB's alot of targets to practice with ... holy **** people, chill.

hahaa.. where's all the "camp fodder" people now?? lol

It's now looking like Hankerson might be the only young guy on the roster... and banks is probably going to get bumped off.. if not.. he's competing with Malcomb Kelly, Niles Paul, Terrance Austin, Roydell Williams, and Aldrick Robinson for a 6th spot.

---------- Post added July-27th-2011 at 05:28 PM ----------

Stallworth, Gaffney and Stokley. None are much to look at :). Stallworth still has speed, so you can envision him in some situations. Gaffney had a productive season and could step up to be a No. 2 receiver. Stokley's best days are behind him and they weren't that great :). I imagine these guys are there to help some young guys along in their development and push each other to emerge in a No. 2 role. I would expect only one to make the roster. Maybe two if Stallworth can play special teams well.

I love you art..

but if Gaffney and either Stallworth or Stokley make the team... that would be;

Moss

Armstrong

Gaffney

Stallworth/Stokley

Hankerson (most likely)

and MAYBE one spot for;

Malcomb Kelly

Brandon Banks

Terrence Austin

Niles Paul

Aldrick Robinson

Roydell Williams

we'd have 1 or maybe 2 young guys at WR on the active Roster. That just screams of last year's piss poor WR core.

Archived