Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Depth on the o-line?

Leopard11

There are some good vets out there. O'hara and Seubert from the giants. Seubert would be a nice fit I think. A bit old yeah but you arent going to find a gem 5-6 year starter out there. Just dont want to see our line crumble like last year. Maybe we dont need them (wishful thinking). Maybe a few younger guys like Capers can step in.

The pickings are slim out there for OG's. I wish we would have addressed the OL more in this past draft. Dahl is the best available it seems. I wish we would have landed Yanda.

Boy you aren't kidding. I loved a lot about our draft but was very disappointed when I didn't see a guard in the middle rounds. You can find a ton of talented OL in the middle rounds.

Boy you aren't kidding. I loved a lot about our draft but was very disappointed when I didn't see a guard in the middle rounds. You can find a ton of talented OL in the middle rounds.

I didn't quite understand it either. I really think we whiffed on some good OL prospects in the mid to late rounds. I think we missed some good 34 DE prospects in the 6th and 7th rounds too. Aside from Neild, I really did not care for the selections we made after Helu.

Don't like the idea of picking up a lot of ex-Giants. I would take a hard look at:

Jared Gaither, but probally to expensive and not a great fit.

Justin Blalock (who I like comming out of college)

Lyle Sendlein, again a more power blocker but he looked great sometimes for Arizona.

Samson Satele, don't think he is a great player but his name. Samson from Samson and Gert, and Sate from the Chinees.

Well we have drafted 4 O-linemen the first 2 drafts of this regime, so that's a step in the right direction along with the two rooks on the D-line. There's only so much you can do with so man holes right across the board, but the plethora of receivers did surprise me this past draft.

I'm really hoping we go in hard for Harris and Yander to start, let alone depth. That, along with Lichtensteiger and both years draftees, would leave 7 on the OL 26 or under. Throw in Montgomery hopefully getting his chance at 28, and the whole line dynamic is significantly changed going forward.

Whether they do that of course is another thing again.

Hail.

Don't like the idea of picking up a lot of ex-Giants. I would take a hard look at:

Jared Gaither, but probally to expensive and not a great fit.

I'm really hoping we go in hard for Harris and Yander to start, let alone depth.

Well, Gaither isn't going to happen it looks like at this point. As for "Yander", Marshal Yanda already agreed to terms to stay in B-More. I'm still hoping to see Harvey Dahl (OG) and another RT brought in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/42092/raiders-pursuing-ot-jared-gaither

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/26/yanda-lands-five-year-32m-deal-to-stay-a-raven/

Well, Gaither isn't going to happen it looks like at this point. As for "Yander", Marshal Yanda already agreed to terms to stay in B-More. I'm still hoping to see Harvey Dahl (OG) and another RT brought in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/42092/raiders-pursuing-ot-jared-gaither

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/26/yanda-lands-five-year-32m-deal-to-stay-a-raven/

Meh, Yander/ Yanda. Sounds the same when I say it aloud. *Hangs head laughing.

Darn, there's another good age, good quality one gone. I'd personally pass on Dahl due to his age and our position. But the Redskins may not.

Hail.

Well we have drafted 4 O-linemen the first 2 drafts of this regime, so that's a step in the right direction along with the two rooks on the D-line. There's only so much you can do with so man holes right across the board, but the plethora of receivers did surprise me this past draft.

That may be, but we really need talented interior OL that can start from day one.

The OL you are referencing (other than the obvious) were all taken in the later part of the draft and are projects that may or may not ever see the field.

Next year, we need to make a committment to the OL in the draft.

---------- Post added July-27th-2011 at 09:37 AM ----------

Lennord Davis

To big, dumb, and slow. Plus he is ex-Dallas.

Pass.

Well, I agree and disagree with this philosophy. Believe me, I am thrilled we are drafting OL at a much higher rate than before... but I still feel like the coaches and front office are not recognizing just how much of a deep, deep disaster the OL they inherited really is. We seem to be willing to throw billions of mid-to-late round prospects at WR and RB despite already having millions of the same type of prospect at those positions... and WR and RB combined account for 3 starting spots. Meanwhile, we just throw a couple prospects at OL despite being a MUCH weaker starting unit with MUCH less depth and which accounts for 5 starting positions.

Not that I think he's THE solution to our OL problems, but I'm curious to know if anyone has heard recent news about BMW. Anyone?

I doubt he ever comes back. I would think he's still using blood thinning medication and would not be eligible for contact sports.

Just my opinion, though.

Shanahan likes guys that can play in the ZBS. That's why we aren't going after every single OL out there. There's only a few that have experience in a ZBS. So those will be the ones we go after. Plus, we need younger guyson the OL, not guys that are in their 30s

Shanahan likes guys that can play in the ZBS. That's why we aren't going after every single OL out there. There's only a few that have experience in a ZBS. So those will be the ones we go after.

This might be the most disturbing thing. We have lacked talent and depth on the OLine for sure... but we also seem to be making some questionable choices over who the starters are based on this love of the zone blocking prototype. Guys like Dockery, Edwin Williams, Stephon Heyer at G, and Montgomery at C all seemed to do quite well and did not instantaneously get pushed 10 yards back on absolutely every single snap (unlike Rabach and Lichtenstieger)... but get shown the door or used at different positions.

Shanahan likes guys that can play in the ZBS. That's why we aren't going after every single OL out there. There's only a few that have experience in a ZBS. So those will be the ones we go after. Plus, we need younger guyson the OL, not guys that are in their 30s

Wrong. We need guys who can keep the pressure off of our QB on the OL, not guys who can't block (ie, the guys who currently play on our OL).

I'd like to get some competent starters before we worry about backups. Who do we have other than Trent Williams that is even considered an average starter in this league?

Edit: BTW, what happened to all the guys right after the draft who assured us that the o-line would be "taken care of" in free agency, and that deals were "already in place" despite the lockout. I'm still waiting and hoping.

'

Right now, I'd give the Skins talent acquisitions a low grade for what they've picked up for the offensive line.

With no center in the fold (Cook's not the answer, and Montgomery and Lichtensteiger are essentially Guards playing center) -- this is a gap that was not addressed in the 2011 draft, nor the 2011 UFDA signings. And there isn't that much in the way of centers available in FA either.

So, we've got Williams at LT, Lichty at LG, Rabach at Center, ???? at RG, and m-a-y-b-e Jammal at RT. In the wings, we've got PS'ers Capers and Cook; cast-off Hicks, the ever-present Heyer -- and developmental projects Hurt (7th rounder) and Smith (an unranked UFDA, not even listed in the top 150). Oh yes, we've also got two folks from Injured reserve, "Big" Mike Williams (who's probably not well suited to ZBS) and Xavier Fulton (?).

I just want to hear how people feel that this crew convinces them that the Redskins have taken steps to ensure adequate depth for an NFL offensive line.

While you're at it explain why we should be excited about the "N"-th new WR prospect, or RB prospect, or QB 'camp arm.' And just how many more D-linemen do the Skins need to sign to find someone who might fit into the Haslett plans for just three down line-men? The defensive front three seem almost overloaded with folks who don't quite fit, but who might someday. Meanwhile, the O-line remains the same.

I know it's still early -- but it's starting to look like the Skins are going to 'settle' for what they've already got on the O-line ...again. Unless they get lucky at waiver-wire time, the way they've ignored the offensive line is going to cost them during this season.

Archived