Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Somebody's blog): Are you listening, Steve Jobs?

Larry

Link.

The Western news media is replete with pithy descriptions of the rapid changes taking place in China: China has the world’s fastest growing economy. China is undergoing remarkable and rapid change. This represents a unique moment for a society changing as quickly as China.

. . .

So when we strolled down a street a few blocks from our house a couple weeks ago, I was only sort of surprised to see this new place, one that any American of my generation can probably recognize instantaneously:

It’s an Apple store!

Or is it?

RP and I went inside and poked around. They looked like Apple products. It looked like an Apple store. It had the classic Apple store winding staircase and weird upstairs sitting area. The employees were even wearing those blue t-shirts with the chunky Apple name tags around their necks.

To make the story short, no, it's not an Apple store. (Although apparently the employees honestly believe that it is.)

Nor are the other two, located a few minutes away.

----------

I'm not certain that I have a point. Just thought it might be an interesting story.

When asked, the manager said... Oh no, this isn't the apple store. This is the pear store. People get confused all the time. In China we have Apple Store, Pear Store, Orange Store, Tangerine Store, Tangello Store. All very different.

My cousin worked in China for 2+ years. He said EVERYTHING was a knockoff. He couldn't trust anything he purchased. He is a big Jack Daniels drinker, he said they even sold horrible JD imitations. It's hard to compete with them with no labor laws and no wage controls for one, throw on blatant skirting of trademark/copyright/patent infringement and there is no competing.

Archived