Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis to be on rome 7-20-11

turtle

homer :silly:

haha...Cowboy fans call me hater on my list LMAO!

truth is, i love Gayle Sayers over all of em, but you cannot discount what Jim Brown did in his career and how he ended it on top....etc.

Being a student of the game......there just has never been...not before and not after....a talent at the RB position like Gayle Sayers.The things that man can do with the ball and in space was unreal.....and his ability in special teams (kick off returns) man!!!!!!

anyway....those two are top of the heap. BUT........i always credit Barry for similar reasons of Jim Brown....that man left the game on top and could have easily had another 5-6 straight over 1200 yd seasons. And he played under some of the worst situations known to man....including the Fontes years LOL

Walter Payton and #22 were similar in some ways and so damn different in others.....both had good longevity for that position which shows in the career numbers (total yardage) ...the edge in my opinion goes to #22 .........but clearly not by much.......i mean that is the definition of splitting hairs...when talking about those two in comparison.

I would actually put Riggo ahead of Dickerson come to thank of it....Dickerson being a much better athlete and was way more "spectacular".....however, if there was a man in the NFL that you could say "its 4th and 2 and we need this 1st" and have confidence in him EVERY TIME........it was Riggo For real, ........and the O-line could call the play at the line and not stop him....EVEN if the line broke down and missed a block. (which rarely happened to the Hogs)...however if it did happen, Riggo would still get 2 yards.....LOL

Not sure of the verbiage used, but the play would be a counter call to one side or the other.......and 2-3 seconds later, it would be a 3 yard fain and a first down. HA!

Everyone knew what was coming and he would still get that ****.

that amongst many other reasons is why i respect #44 so much

EDIT: almost every GOOD wing Tee team in High school has an unstoppable play.....its called mid line. It is almost 100%v unstoppable.......the only reason that play gets stopped is because the off cord stops calling it. They get tired of just one play and they always want to be smarter then the rest of the world and call something else......HOWEVER.......i say that because.....the 1980's Skins had that in the form of "counter Trey" to Riggo.......and it was ran to perfection either side.....great combination of power down blocks and pulling lineman....both were skills that the Hogs had and the tough running by Riggo........

I for one, hated it so much as a kid that i would yell at the TV in disgust.........i say as a kid, but i was pere teen, but walked around my house on Sunday's ;like i was a NFL coach.....HA!

Hated that damn team so much, and that play so much......makes me sick.

Now i coach football and i come to appreciate it! LOL

I used to hate when Dan Dierdorf would call it "counter gap." It was "counter trey" you moron.

I have a college friend (I was best man at his wedding and vise-versa) that is a Dolphins fan. Whenever I want to shut him up all I have to say is "70 Chip on white" to him. He immediately shuts up.

Riggo aint just the Skins best RB of all time, he is on a very short list of greatest of all time in the NFL......

1 Jim Brown

2.Barry Sanders

3.Gayle Sayers

4. 22

5.Walter Payton

6.Eric Dickerson

7.Riggo

IMO

Good list but I'd replace Dickerson with Earl Campbell and move Sanders down a couple of slots. Campbell was the single most punishing runner I've ever seen. He and Sayers both had limited careers due to injuries but both had generational talent. Sayes was Sanders with more power. Dickerson was really good but I was never really afraid of him when the Skins played the Rams.

love portis and what he has done for this team early in his time here. but injuries has made him more of a burden than an asset. i wish him all the best wherever he goes. but to say that he is the best back the skins have had??? where is his ring? portis definitely wont be in the hall of fame. argument over. Riggins = Winning

Wasn't I arguing with you about Bo Jackson in the Tailgate the other week? Or was that someone else?

Anyway, a healthy, football-only Bo Jackson would've gone down as the GOAT imho.

Not that I recall.

If I did, I was blacked out.

I love Bo :ols:

BO KNOWS!

what he said

Riggins and its not even close or debatable......sad that two die hard Dallas fans would have to point that out to anyone...but to the defense of most of ya'll, i see there truly is only one fan saying CP was better then Riggo...and hate to be too harsh, but he aught to turn in his fan card.

Riggo aint just the Skins best RB of all time, he is on a very short list of greatest of all time in the NFL......

1 Jim Brown

2.Barry Sanders

3.Gayle Sayers

4. 22

5.Walter Payton

6.Eric Dickerson

7.Riggo

IMO

Flip 4 and 5 then add OJ in there somewhere and you have a pretty good list. I'm no OJ fan, in fact I think he is human scum, but he was one of the best running backs ever.

I honestly have never understood why people underrate Portis. Maybe he was too expensive for what he gave the team, but most of the time, he was the most talented all around football player on the field. I always appreciated his effort, and never really understood why others didn't.

I'm just going to throw this out there. Riggo's stats in the 82 playoffs.

25 for 119 in the wild card

37 for 185 and a td in the divisional round

36 for 140 and 2 tds against our arch rivals with the super bowl on the line

38 for 166 and one of the greatest tds in super bowl history

Portis has never even had a good playoff game in his career, here or in Denver. Portis was a very good running back but let's be real here, there is NO discussion, there are no logical arguments for saying Portis was equal or better. They're not on the same level. Portis was a top 5-10 of his contemporaries, towards the top 3 for short spurts of a couple seasons, lower for stretches in others. Riggins was a top ten back of all time. What the hell are we talking about? I loved Portis' game, I loved how hard he played, I loved watching him and having him as a Redskin but this is just ridiculous.

I really wish we could have seen a healthy Bo Jackson.

It would have been the kind of domination one only sees once every third or fourth generation. Bo Jackson was the late 20th century's answer to Jim Thorpe...or at least, he would have been if he stayed healthy.

Portis doesn't get half the recognition he deserves. Dude will be the least respected of all the 10,000 yard backs when it's all said and done, and he's not even 30. (he will hit that yardage milestone this year)

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 08:41 PM ----------

Portis played with ****ty lines and really ****ty QBs. Only Barry Sanders (the greatest ever) could overcome such a nightmare of a situation for a running back.

I honestly have never understood why people underrate Portis. Maybe he was too expensive for what he gave the team, but most of the time, he was the most talented all around football player on the field. I always appreciated his effort, and never really understood why others didn't.

Exactly. So many Portis haters

love portis and what he has done for this team early in his time here. but injuries has made him more of a burden than an asset. i wish him all the best wherever he goes. but to say that he is the best back the skins have had??? where is his ring? portis definitely wont be in the hall of fame. argument over. Riggins = Winning

The fact that he doesn't have a ring is irrelevant. Lots of great players don't have rings (Dan Marino). That isn't the sole reason why Riggins is the best Redskins RB of all time. Just one of the reasons.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 01:38 AM ----------

Not that I recall.

If I did, I was blacked out.

I love Bo :ols:

BO KNOWS!

Dude was a pretty exciting baseball player, too.

---------- Post added July-22nd-2011 at 01:41 AM ----------

One of my main beefs with the guy is he didn't seem to want to practice. That's BS. That, and all his bull**** drama, getting on talk shows and throwing teammates, coaches under the bus. I literally cringed every time the guy opened his mouth. Glad he's no longer here.

22? who's dat? :silly:
Ernie Nevers. TonyRomoProBowl made an impressive reach back in history for that one. And a guy who played pro football and baseball, before it was cool!

At least, I'll give him credit for that, than assume he even tried putting "sharp as a whistle" Emmitt Smith ahead of Sweetness. Who got practically all his yards while the Bears were horrible.

I just read every post in this thread and I didn't see much hating on Portis if any at all. What I did see is people try to put you in your place for comparing Portis to Riggins and making the claim that Portis was better. Well, I am with everybody else who says, that is a foolish notion.

I love what Clinton Portis sacrificed for this team. The playoff run in 05 when he ended the season with 5 straight 100 yard games, he did carry this team for that stretch. But what happened to him when we reached the playoffs? John Riggins had the luxury of a shortened season in 82, but his playoff run to a Super Bowl Championship was the stuff of legends, Super Bowl MVP! When he retired from football he was the 6th leading rusher in NFL History and he is in the Hall of Fame. Clinton Portis will never make the Hall.

Like I said, I am a fan of Clinton Portis on the field! Huge fan in fact, the hits he put on DE's and LB's and some of his runs are classic. If he would have shut his mouth, practiced hard and kept it all on the field, I believe he could have made the Hall himself. As for the team he had, the first 4 years on the Redskins, he had a very solid offensive line. They were no Hogs, but they were damned good. In fact, they helped Ladell Betts run for 1200 yards the first season CP went down! It wasn't until they aged and injuries took over that CP was stuck behind a sub par line.

Portis doesn't get half the recognition he deserves. Dude will be the least respected of all the 10,000 yard backs when it's all said and done, and he's not even 30. (he will hit that yardage milestone this year)

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 08:41 PM ----------

Portis played with ****ty lines and really ****ty QBs. Only Barry Sanders (the greatest ever) could overcome such a nightmare of a situation for a running back.

I don't see any Portis haters. Just making a point that Riggins is better. I'm glad we've been able to have both represent the B & G. I'm glad I got to see both of them in their prime. I just give the edge to Riggins. Don't use "Portis haters" as the basis for you argument. It doesn't make your case.

Archived