Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis to be on rome 7-20-11

turtle

Will be looking forward to it. Hopefully we bring him back so he can rightfully retire here where he should.

Portis was only just the greatest running back for the skins that ever carried the rock. He is to Washington what Barry Sanders was to the Lions-Walter Payton to the Bears-Shaun Alexander to the Seahawks.

A Legend

Doesn't sound as up beat as usual. Said needed lockout needed for injury rehab. Talked about injuries and was time to go. Said true fans know he gave his all and will be missed, bandwagoners and negative people wont. Said time in washington was bittersweet. Felt he wasnt given the full respect he deserved. said coaching changes messed up his game. Said skins org made him practice more and set him up to fail. will share laod of a game as needed. loves blocking did that to stay part of game, still wants to do it. doesnt know where he will end up after lock out, open to all teams. best times in nfl 05-06 season. loved miami teammates, moss and taylor. up to team he goes to, if he will wear customs again. said skins dont promote players for being individuals. dononvan banner was first time. doesnt like confomity, wants to be free to show his personality. said nfl doesnt let players be themselves.

rough recap, but generally what was said

Will be looking forward to it. Hopefully we bring him back so he can rightfully retire here where he should.

Portis was only just the greatest running back for the skins that ever carried the rock. He is to Washington what Barry Sanders was to the Lions-Walter Payton to the Bears-Shaun Alexander to the Seahawks.

A Legend

is this a joke? Better then Riggins?

i love Portis, and not just because of how he helped to show what an embarrassment The Washington Redskins franchise is.......but for the way he is just being himself and doesn't really care what people think of him.......His whole costume act was so dumb, and so out of control............he was like a circus clown at times, but damn he sure could play this game and play it well......Hellova talented player, and i think he does have some left...not much, but enough to be a big part of a teams success in the next 2-3 years.

While CP had a great career with us and is probably better at blocking then Riggins, Riggins single handedly carried the team to a SB win in 1983. Portis was a gamer. He changed his style a couple of times for coaches and had a great small run in the 2007 run to the playoffs, but for all of what CP did for us, he really lacked breaking long runs. That was the main reason we brought him in was to hit the homerun and he didn't do that very often.

I think Riggins gets overlooked for his all around skill, even by Redskin fans. They think of him as an inside runner only. He had deceptive speed (ran track at Kansas), had good hands to catch the ball (better than CP IMO) and was a good (not as good as CP) blocker. Like I said, the 83 playoff run alone, puts him on top, not to mention he's still our leading career rusher.

While CP had a great career with us and is probably better at blocking then Riggins, Riggins single handedly carried the team to a SB win in 1983. Portis was a gamer. He changed his style a couple of times for coaches and had a great small run in the 2007 run to the playoffs, but for all of what CP did for us, he really lacked breaking long runs. That was the main reason we brought him in was to hit the homerun and he didn't do that very often.

I think Riggins gets overlooked for his all around skill, even by Redskin fans. They think of him as an inside runner only. He had deceptive speed (ran track at Kansas), had good hands to catch the ball (better than CP IMO) and was a good (not as good as CP) blocker. Like I said, the 83 playoff run alone, puts him on top, not to mention he's still our leading career rusher.

Look who Riggins had around him. lol

What Riggins be "carrying" todays Redskins team to?

It's unfair to compare eras, but again, he single handedly took the team to the SB and won it for them. The year before the team was 8-8 and at the beginning of the 1982 season, no one saw the Redskins as a SB team, especially with the strike shortened season. We skated by most of that season on the toe of Mark Mosley. Riggins took the team on his back (actually asked Gibbs to give him the ball) and brought them a Lombardi.

If you want me to flip it around, would CP been able to carry that 1982 team on his back? While I liked CP, some of his comments on the Rome show, show that he was (how do I put this lightly?), a prima donna. Riggins was quirky, but he never put himself above the team.

A Legend

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's some funny shiznit right there! Comparing him to Barry Sanders and Walter Payton... :rotflmao:

Portis isn't qualified to carry Riggins jock strap. If he tried he would probably trip over his own feet 3 yards after he picked it up. I suggest you look at some film of Riggins then get back to me.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801305a7/John-Riggins-Feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUtfX2IMetY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STB2kb9BlDQ&feature=related

Note the number of times there isn't a single "hog" in the picture. Just Riggins plowing over and through defenders all by himself. There is a reason RIggo is in the hall of fame and Portis never will be.

But thanks for the laugh. I needed that. :ols:

Oh yeah, and not once did Riggins (or any other NFL running back in the history of the game) slide down like a punk *** coward without being touched.

..."A Legend"... :rotflmao:

A Legend

I loved Portis when he was here, but CP is no Riggins. Also comparing him to Walter and Barry? Wow.

I loved Portis when he was here, but CP is no Riggins. Also comparing him to Walter and Barry? Wow.

Now see... I lost my fandom for him some time back, but yours is an opinion of him I can respect. He did do some good things and he deserves credit for that. But Legend? :ols:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

That's some funny shiznit right there! Comparing him to Barry Sanders and Walter Payton... :rotflmao:

Portis isn't qualified to carry Riggins jock strap. If he tried he would probably trip over his own feet 3 yards after he picked it up. I suggest you look at some film of Riggins then get back to me.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801305a7/John-Riggins-Feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUtfX2IMetY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STB2kb9BlDQ&feature=related

Note the number of times there isn't a single "hog" in the picture. Just Riggins plowing over and through defenders all by himself. There is a reason RIggo is in the hall of fame and Portis never will be.

But thanks for the laugh. I needed that. :ols:

Oh yeah, and not once did Riggins (or any other NFL running back in the history of the game) slide down like a punk *** coward without being touched.

..."A Legend"... :rotflmao:

Whatever "Riggins Homer" lol. Portis was a coward? lol, ok, how many defensive ends/linebackers did he shy away from while blocking them?

Portis has videos too. Only need one to show his greatness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GNPmwhQZy8

Portis will forever be underrated by a sizable number of Skins fans, unfortunately. I'm not gonna get into a Portis vs. Riggins debate because there are valid arguments to be made by both sides. But regardless of what either player has done in the past that I might not have liked or agreed with, I loved having both players on my favorite team.

Portis was very good for this team, but you'll lost most reasonable people when you say he meant as much to this team as Barry Sanders did to the Lions or Walter Payton meant to the Bears. Two of the greatest of all time of any era or team.

I think a case can be made for being the best 'Skins back of all time, just don't throw those two names around when making comparisons though.

CP was great. And I wouldn't hold "not breaking long runs" against him, since we forced him to play more smashmouth than slashing. I don't think it's a fluke that his first run, he actually treated what was supposed to be an oldschool "student body left" play, as a ZBS play where he found the open hole ahead of him and hit it. CP just wasn't given as many opportunities to do that here like he was in Denver.

But Riggins you could feed the ball 30 times a game, really rely on him more than any back we've had. He has the alltime rushing record. And the ring. I was rooting for CP to get the record, but he's still #2. Still great.

A Legend

You're kidding, right?

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 02:38 AM ----------

Add in Portis' amazing blocking abilities, so yes, he was better than Riggins.

Um, no.

---------- Post added July-21st-2011 at 02:39 AM ----------

You even talk like Portis.

Portis will forever be underrated by a sizable number of Skins fans, unfortunately. I'm not gonna get into a Portis vs. Riggins debate because there are valid arguments to be made by both sides. But regardless of what either player has done in the past that I might not have liked or agreed with, I loved having both players on my favorite team.

I liked having both too, but mileellie111's only argument for Portis being better is his blocking ability. So what? Doesn't make him the better RB being a good blocker.

Add in Portis' amazing blocking abilities, so yes, he was better than Riggins.

You realize that Riggins was used as a blocking fullback by George Allen and he was very good at it, right? I do believe that Portis is underrated by many Skins fans but Riggins was better. I can only assume that you were too young to actually watch Riggins if you feel that Portis was better. Don't get me wrong, I think Portis was very, very good but he's not the best running back to play for the Skins. Heck, an argument can be made that he wasn't even second (Stephen Davis, Larry Brown, Terry Allen, Ernest Byner).

You realize that Riggins was used as a blocking fullback by George Allen and he was very good at it, right? I do believe that Portis is underrated by many Skins fans but Riggins was better. I can only assume that you were too young to actually watch Riggins if you feel that Portis was better. Don't get me wrong, I think Portis was very, very good but he's not the best running back to play for the Skins. Heck, an argument can be made that he wasn't even second (Stephen Davis, Larry Brown, Terry Allen, Ernest Byner).

Riggins is the best 'Skins back ever, and I don't even think it's close. I think Bobby Mitchell might have been if he hadn't been moved to flanker....tough to complain about the move, the guy is a hall of famer, but i wonder how he would have fared as a RB...

Riggins is the best 'Skins back ever, and I don't even think it's close. I think Bobby Mitchell might have been if he hadn't been moved to flanker....tough to complain about the move, the guy is a hall of famer, but i wonder how he would have fared as a RB...

what he said

Riggins and its not even close or debatable......sad that two die hard Dallas fans would have to point that out to anyone...but to the defense of most of ya'll, i see there truly is only one fan saying CP was better then Riggo...and hate to be too harsh, but he aught to turn in his fan card.

Riggo aint just the Skins best RB of all time, he is on a very short list of greatest of all time in the NFL......

1 Jim Brown

2.Barry Sanders

3.Gayle Sayers

4. 22

5.Walter Payton

6.Eric Dickerson

7.Riggo

IMO

Archived