Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TheXlog: Will Vince Young be Mike Shanahan’s New Jake Plummer?

PeterC042

How many here were totally against signing Vick prior to the Eagles picking him up? ***Slowly Raising my hand*** How many people would love to have Vick as their QB right now? ***Quickly Raising my hand***

I'm a Vick homer and have idolized him since he was at VT. I can honestly say I wouldn't want him as our QB right now. I think he necessitates having a stud backup QB to sustain a playoff run. He's too old, too small, and too injury prone. He'll get you to the playoffs but he's broken down by the time he gets there. This isn't the 19 year old stud slipping through defenses like a magician every play any more.

There are a lot of players ahead of Vick that I prefer if I had the choice. I'd take Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan, Bradford, Cutler, Gabbert, Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Luck, etc. among other talented young QBs. I prefer the pocket passer who operates quickly and doesn't take so many hits.

To bring VY in on a modest contract, with the opportunity to earn some playing time is fine. I think VYs mentality will be a little better if he comes in knowing that he's number 2 or 3 on the depth chart. Then if the Beck experiment fails, we can try QB experiment #2.

And for the record, you can still count me as a guy who would NOT raise his hand for Vick.

Young is a better QB prospect than Beck or Grossman, BUT...

Young = Expectations

Expectations with the current roster = Hype, then disappointment, then despair

Beck = No expectations

No expectations = No disappointment, and maybe even pleasant surprise

If you win a few games, great. If you don't, land a young QB in the draft in 2012

I respect your opinion but how do you KNOW this?!?! I mean most that make it can play in this game. They also need to be coached up.

The article is just saying look at it the way like Jake Plummer. I bet Bronco fans were saying the same thing as you. The Snake leaves Arizona with a 30-52 W/L record. Goes to Denver and has a 39-15 W/L record.

Is that no improvement and a waste of money? Took a chance on a guy and made him into a decent QB. Did they win a SB, no of course not. But they had a chance to win most games. It takes more then just a QB.

If they go in this direction, I will trust their judgement, but you can't possibly KNOW it will be a season in the tank. We are a below average team right now, we need all the players we could get to help this team win.

Well, I do not 100% positively absolutely know, but you could make the same case for Peyton, Brady, or Brees for that matter; I couldn't say that either of them would actually turn things around,but you could almost assume, given their track record.

Of course, the winning % thingy can't be taken totally as a result of VY, being this RB named Johnson C2K was in the backfield; if so, you could make a case for McNabb having a stellar season last year with C2K as his RB.

VY is another player with more negative than positive attributes on his sheet; he is damaged goods, and I doubt he could even be in the same room as Kyle for more than a month; look at how great Kyle and McNabb worked out. Do you believe VY will be better than that? I sure don't...

With all due respect, naturally

Bring in VY would allow us to get rid of Haynesworth.

In addition, who's to say we don't do what Shanahan did in Denver? Bring in VY, and then draft the next Cutler. Maybe have him sit on the bench for a year or two behind VY.

I'm on record for NOT bringing in VY. Still not fully on board at this point...but this guy makes a compelling case. mmmm

He makes a compelling case. But Young's physical tools are not the issue. It's his mental state. He is ENTIRELY too thin-skinned to succeed here...

Well we do have a recent history of paying players with questionable mental attributes...so nothing would surprise me with this team. That being said, I hope we never have to see VY in B&G.

---------- Post added July-20th-2011 at 09:43 AM ----------

The 2012 draft can't get here fast enough IMO.

Tell me about it.

He makes a compelling case. But Young's physical tools are not the issue. It's his mental state. He is ENTIRELY too thin-skinned to succeed here...

I agree with you 100%. And is a concern of mine as well. If he couldn't deal with the scutiny in Tenn, then I don't know what he'll do with this "thirsty for blood" media in DC. Hopefully he has matured. But that remains to be seen.

Yeah I considered this for a moment until I remembered that Jeff Fisher is one of the best coaches of his generation. If VY couldn't find consistency playing for him, in a small media market in Nashville, in an offense perfectly tailored to his talents, behind one of the best offensive lines in the league, with the best running game in the league, and one of the best defenses in the league behind him, I don't know why we could reasonably expect him to improve here. We have a comparably skilled HC, but none of those other things apply to us.

Not only that, we run Kyle's offense, not Mike's. VY is not a good fit for the offense we tried to run last season.

Hook 'Em.

Do it. It would be fun to go to the bars here and have everyone pulling for the Skins. :ols:

Haha, too true!

Seriously though. Does ayone really think that bringing him in cheaply as depth/competition will really destroy our team? I guess I could see it if he claimed the starting role and then had a major breakdown, but guess what? 1) so we move on, shouldn't be a big deal and 2) is our team really that good that he could ruin it with his issues?

I'd be fine with a 2 yr contract (hard for him to compete in a new system the first year). I'd also be fine with Beck or whoever as a starter...it's a gamble either way.

The most important stat that is missing from his article, is the Titan's win percentage with VY starting, vs, when he didn't. He made that team (much) better!

I'm kind of tired of hearing this. While he was 30-19 as a starter, he played on some good Titans teams. The Titans problem when he didn't play was, Kerry "old as dirt" Collins. It's not like Kurt Warner was backing him up. I wouldn't exactly call Collins anything to write home about, so you'd expect a dropoff in wins with Collins under center.

Also, it's not the won/lost record that I look at for QBs. I mean Archie Manning was a very good QB on terrible teams. I'm concerned about VY's QB stats. I'm not impressed with his TD/INT ratiio. He completion percentage is OK, nothing great. I think we need a difference maker state wise in order for us to get more wins, and I'm not sure he's that guy in this offense.

Young is a better QB prospect than Beck or Grossman, BUT...

Young = Expectations

Expectations with the current roster = Hype, then disappointment, then despair

Beck = No expectations

No expectations = No disappointment, and maybe even pleasant surprise

If you win a few games, great. If you don't, land a young QB in the draft in 2012

This x 1 million

Sig worthy quote right here.

I've never been thrilled about the idea of VY here simply because as others have stated, I don't think he has thick enough skin to handle the pressures of being a QB in Washington. That being said, I will say that this is at least the most convincing argument I've read on why it could be beneficial to take a flier on him.

He couldn't take the pressure in Tennessee, exactly like you said, how would he fare in the DC market? I'd say badly.

I'm a Vick homer and have idolized him since he was at VT. I can honestly say I wouldn't want him as our QB right now. I think he necessitates having a stud backup QB to sustain a playoff run. He's too old, too small, and too injury prone. He'll get you to the playoffs but he's broken down by the time he gets there. This isn't the 19 year old stud slipping through defenses like a magician every play any more.

There are a lot of players ahead of Vick that I prefer if I had the choice. I'd take Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan, Bradford, Cutler, Gabbert, Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Luck, etc. among other talented young QBs. I prefer the pocket passer who operates quickly and doesn't take so many hits.

Well of course if we had our choice we would pick those guys. But we don't. VY is the one that is the FA. At this point we are looking through the scrap heap seeing if we can find a hidden treasure. (See the possible starting of Grossman or Beck). Our QB situation is pretty bad, I just don't see how we can act like we are too good for any QB with talent.

And this is from Jeff Fisher:

"Keep in mind, he won a lot of games for our organization and led us to the playoffs," Fisher said on NFL Network's NFL Total Access on Monday night. "He's a tremendous player.

"He's certainly got a great deal of ability, and he's a rare athlete, and he's a good teammate. And hopefully he can learn from this experience and get that (next) opportunity."

"A lot of the really good quarterbacks had a defining moment, you know where it just got hard on 'em -- it just gets hard -- and I think that's what happened with Vince," said Fisher.

"I think he had a defining moment, and it just became overwhelming to him. And I know he's had a chance to step away from it now, and I know he's one that learns from mistakes. If given the opportunity, he'll learn from this past one."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/07/former-titans-coach-jeff-fisher-believes-qb-vince-young-will-learn-from-mistakes/1

Shanahan's Elway vs Shanahan's Plummer are 2 completely different things. Young is a lot closer to Plummer than McNabb is to Elway.

For someone who spent hours trying to determine if Shanahan really saw Elway in McNabb, I can say they are closer than you think.

(My mental gymnastics begin here, and go on for several pages here, and most importantly, here . I thought it was a pretty convincing case at the time, and help justify a trade that stupified me).

And now when I read this article, I see many of the same attempts I made comparing Elway and McNabb being made to compare Plummer and Young. AKA, much of the argument is made upon statistical similarities.

The issue with that is the massive other elements that go into being a QB. McNabb and Elway had similar stats, but McNabb was not Elway. Likewise, Plummer and Young have much in common - this does not necessarily mean Young will be the Snake 2.0.

To bring VY in on a modest contract, with the opportunity to earn some playing time is fine. I think VYs mentality will be a little better if he comes in knowing that he's number 2 or 3 on the depth chart. Then if the Beck experiment fails, we can try QB experiment #2.

And for the record, you can still count me as a guy who would NOT raise his hand for Vick.

So wait a minute. Your saying if we had an opportunity to get Vick you would NOT want him on this team? The guy had a great season. Meanwhile we are dealing with a hand of two castoffs and a washed up ex-Probowler. Yeah I know I will get the argument of "I would rather have a young stud QB then Vick". Well we don't and we don't even know if we'll be able to get one in 2012.

We got to stop playing Madden people it is ruining our grip on reality. I feel like people equate success in college with success in the NFL. Yes Luck is a great prospect but we don't know what he can do in the NFL. Vick on the other hand has played for two different NFL teams and has been successful on both teams. This is after doing a bid in prison! Yet you would still go with the unknown prospect that we may or may not be able to get.

Was I the only one that saw what he did to us at FedEx? Sorry I'm derailing the thread. I apologize.

Back to VY, I just don't see the problem with bringing him in with the rest of the castoffs to compete. Doesn't our chances get better with numbers?

Yeah I considered this for a moment until I remembered that Jeff Fisher is one of the best coaches of his generation. If VY couldn't find consistency playing for him, in a small media market in Nashville, in an offense perfectly tailored to his talents, behind one of the best offensive lines in the league, with the best running game in the league, and one of the best defenses in the league behind him, I don't know why we could reasonably expect him to improve here. We have a comparably skilled HC, but none of those other things apply to us.

Not only that, we run Kyle's offense, not Mike's. VY is not a good fit for the offense we tried to run last season.

A superb post Steve.

I really hate reading articles that emphasis a lot of statistics. I don't get the feel for how a QB like Young thinks, what his convictions are; will he make a good team mate. Until there is some genuine conversation between Vince and a probing sports reporter, I find it difficult to get behind signing a guy like Young.

But what this article does say to me is that guys like Vince Young, Mike Vick, Pryor are going to be given a chance by some team to be that franchise QB that coaches will take a chance on. Vick has fulfilled that aspect of his game with the Eagles. Bringing in Young or Pryor to sit and learn this offense would be a wise move. These 3 guys have the ability to take this game to a different level. In Pryor's case, you can see the athleticism in its early infancy, that reminds you of Vick and Young. But, each of these guys is unique in his own right.

I believe Mike Shanahan will make the right call when it comes to selecting a third QB. What this article points out is be prepared for the surprise signing of a QB. Unlike others, I don't mind Beck making a run at being the guy to hold down the QB position if he deserves it as Shanahan thinks. If Mike brings in Young or drafts someone like Pryor, so be it. He must see something that tells him he can work with this guy. I really like the idea of a mobile QB. Stocking the team with a better offensive line and decent WRs would only make whoever the QB is that much better.

Yeah I considered this for a moment until I remembered that Jeff Fisher is one of the best coaches of his generation. If VY couldn't find consistency playing for him, in a small media market in Nashville, in an offense perfectly tailored to his talents, ......

You nailed it. I'd like to see Vince do well because I like his talent/skillset. but he has issues/headcase. If he couldn't succeed with all of that around him he'll be out of the NFL soon if he came here.

Archived