Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TheXlog: Will Vince Young be Mike Shanahan’s New Jake Plummer?

PeterC042

on further notice i do not want vy anymore cuz there is something to say about bringing in character guys without attitude. i would rather watch beck stink it up without the drama then watch vy have an average season then get all mad and start problems.

I would add that Rodgers, Young and even Schaub as we saw in our game this year are all play-makers as well, and VY does have that in common with them.

I'll buy that.

I still think accuracy and the ability to make complex reads are more important. But we are just splitting hairs at this point, and rehashing arguments that were made months ago in the 100 page original VY thread. None of this articles arguments make any more a compelling case than those made comparing McNabb to Elway.

Has anyone brought up that Shanny got a guy like Plummer to play above his level and was STILL able to put together one of the best up and coming offenses in the game? Imagine a team with Brandon Marshall, Jay Cutler, and Peyton Hillis right now? With the Bronoc's ZBS OL (IE: Pre-McDaniels)

Well I am of the believer that if Grossman leaves, which I think he will, then I see Shanahan bringing in VY.

And I also have the utmost trust in Shanahan, and if he feels he is worth a chance, then I am down with that.

Maybe I'm jaded, but I have full trust in no one. And given some of the moves Shanahan has made, I definitely don't have utmost trust in him,

That said, I still think he can transform this franchise.

No No No is all I read when Vick was available and now look at him and look at us... Bring in Young I think he has something to prove just like Vick however I'm sure all the couch coaches prefer Beck.. LOL and SMH sheez.....

No No No is all I read when Vick was available and now look at him and look at us... Bring in Young I think he has something to prove just like Vick however I'm sure all the couch coaches prefer Beck.. LOL and SMH sheez.....

I'll play the game...

What are the positives and negatives to starting Beck/Grossman?

What are the positives and negatives to signing and starting Young?

I'm unable to come up with a plausible explanation for why Mike Shanahan thought Donovan McNabb would fit his scheme, but I'm willing to let that pass because everything else in his history suggests that he excels at evaluating QBs. But, if Mike brings Vince Young in, I'll be convinced the man has **** for brains.

Vince doesn't fit.

The reasons he doesn't fit have already been listed by other posters.

I'm unable to come up with a plausible explanation for why Mike Shanahan thought Donovan McNabb would fit his scheme, but I'm willing to let that pass because everything else in his history suggests that he excels at evaluating QBs. But, if Mike brings Vince Young in, I'll be convinced the man has **** for brains.

Vince doesn't fit.

Technically.. Shanahan has prefered gun slingers with accurate long balls that are quick with their feet. At first glance you would think that McNabb matches that description well. I think 2 foul ups happened...

1) McNabb hurt his hammy and lost a lot of mobility

2) McNabb's accuracy on the quick boot leg style plays was horrible... which he was never great at.. but I think the hammy was also causing it to be worse.

So we ended up with an inconsistent offense that could catch a deep ball now and then.. but driving the field and eating clock we just couldn't do.

Technically.. Shanahan has prefered gun slingers with accurate long balls that are quick with their feet. At first glance you would think that McNabb matches that description well. I think 2 foul ups happened...

1) McNabb hurt his hammy and lost a lot of mobility

2) McNabb's accuracy on the quick boot leg style plays was horrible... which he was never great at.. but I think the hammy was also causing it to be worse.

So we ended up with an inconsistent offense that could catch a deep ball now and then.. but driving the field and eating clock we just couldn't do.

McNabb's forte was being able to extend plays and throw deep. Andy Reid built a scheme around that for a young player who could also run.

His weakness has always been inconsistency on the short-to-medium passes. No coach, not Shanahan or anybody else, designs a scheme for old, inconsistent QBs. McNabb doesn't fit anybody's scheme today. Neither does Vince Young, but for different reasons that others have already listed.

Not everyone was against signing Vick; even back then I maintained that Vick was one of the most talented QBs in the league.

And although I don't think Vince is on Mike's level(talent) I think Vince can still be a good QB in this league and hasn't reached his potential yet.

But, imo there are clear distinctions between Mike and Kyle's playcalling styles.

Short of a major paradigm shift in Kyle's playcalling style I don't think Vince Young would succeed w/ Kyle as his OC.

Why are we even discussing this?

Young still belongs to Tennessee

Tennessee still needs a QB because Kerry Collins just retired

Young is under contract with Tennessee

The media are the ones who are saying Young will be cut, the teams said nothing

The media is wrong all the time

If Young was availible I'd think differently but he's not, not yet.

A little early imo

I like the article. He wont get big money so I dont dislike it. I was a Vince hater when he came to the league, because I dont like quarterbacks that relie on their rushing and give up on the extending the play for down field. Ben Rothlesburger isnt really a rushing quarterback but extends the play. Like Vick working with Andy Reid making him a better passer and becoming one of the best players last year. Sometimes people have to hit rock bottom to realize what the opportunity is and what type of work it takes to achieve.

tris, so many reasons why i should be against young coming here. but, after watching how he played last year, its very tempting. he looked pretty good last year.

and i would be hoping that he would have some sort of epiphany when it came to his life decisions, partly cuz he might want to play for kyle. maybe cuz he wants to prove what he can do. or cuz he just could use a change of scenery.

i admit i thought he sucked (not having seen him play much at all), but based on what he did last year, he may be entering his prime.

of course, this is all basically alot of hope, but what else do we have, right? :)

Why are we even discussing this?

Young still belongs to Tennessee

Tennessee still needs a QB because Kerry Collins just retired

Young is under contract with Tennessee

The media are the ones who are saying Young will be cut, the teams said nothing

The media is wrong all the time

If Young was availible I'd think differently but he's not, not yet.

A little early imo

Um, the head coach is the one who said it....

But Mike Munchak, Fisher’s successor as the Titans’ head coach, has reiterated that Young is gone, and that’s not going to change.

“That was a decision made months ago and nothing that is going to happen personnel-wise, or how the draft goes, is going to change that,” Munchak said, per Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “It wasn’t just a Jeff Fisher decision — I think people kind of have that feeling because it happened back then we could change our decision.”

SOURCE

Um, the head coach is the one who said it....

so, shanny convinces everyone that beck is his guy, only to pounce on VY when he gets released. i'd ship fat al to TENN for VY, but if he can get him for free, what the heck.

PlummerAZ.jpg

Plummer had 90 TDs in 2002!!!...Sweet Jesus on a cracker.

Yeah i saw those same things. Hopefully he's a lot better scout than a stat compiler. Usually when you are trying to make a point I think you'd be more careful and catch that, lol.

...But, imo there are clear distinctions between Mike and Kyle's playcalling styles.

Short of a major paradigm shift in Kyle's playcalling style I don't think Vince Young would succeed w/ Kyle as his OC.

I find myself in agreement with most of your opinions in this forum. But, I don't know how you could possibly have enough evidence to compare the playcalling styles of Mike and Kyle. And, Mike's personality alone makes to tough for me to imagine that he would accept losing football games as the price for letting Kyle go his own 'incompetent' way. After all, he can only help Kyle's career by making him a better coach and winning games.

Well, if Vince Young is such a poor fit for our offense, then why are we interested in bringing him to DC? Surely you would think Mike & Kyle would have put some thought into it considering the McNabb debacle.
I doubt that Mike is interested in Vince Young. I think this is just the usual speculation arrived at by connecting Dan Snyder's Skins to every big name player available.

I'm not offering this a substantial evidence, but it's worth remembering that Vince Young wasn't the QB Mike was enamored with in the 2006 draft. Jay Cutler and Vince Young are not alike in skillsets.

I doubt that Mike is interested in Vince Young. I think this is just the usual speculation arrived at by connecting Dan Snyder's Skins to every big name player available.

This comes from TK though OF and he said the interest was real. I'm just trying to see if anyone could offer an opinion as to why. Maybe there's more to his game than we can see. VY is capable of extending plays and obviously can run, but maybe they feel he can become an accurate passer too. He's got an arm. Maybe they're willing to work with him and consider he's still raw is some aspects. I believe Beck is the guy, but I cannot completely write this rumor off as the usual agent chatter of injecting our name as a negotiating tactic.

This comes from TK though OF and he said the interest was real. I'm just trying to see if anyone could offer an opinion as to why. Maybe there's more to his game than we can see. VY is capable of extending plays and obviously can run, but maybe they feel he can become an accurate passer too. He's got an arm. Maybe they're willing to work with him and consider he's still raw is some aspects. I believe Beck is the guy, but I cannot completely write this rumor off as the usual agent chatter of injecting our name as a negotiating tactic.
If these leaks that we're getting are more than just speculation, Bruce and Mike are not running a tight ship with regard to security. Bruce Allen said the same thing as quoted in a recent WP/Steinberg column. He said, in effect, if they aren't speculation, we have a problem.

Young's talent level is enticing -- but he comes with red-flags. It would be a gamble.

I see the payoff being the possibilty that Vince comes here mentally ready to 'fit in' -- and the Skins successfully harness his high level of talent. Vince blooms here, and gives Shanahan that 'roll-out' threat QB, in addtition to being able to make the passes needed in Kyle's offense. Basically, you get Jake Locker with NFL experience and seasoning, and Vince would be entering his prime years as a QB. (I'm still an advocate of the cliche that most QBs take 5 years to 'click' in the NFL, assuming they ever 'click.')

But there are many potential drawbacks: the publicity rollercoaster; QB controversies; impact on team chemistry; the possibility that Vince can't adapt to the Skins offensive schemes; or that Vince doesn't rein in his emotions enough to handle the media-glare of DC. Maybe Young's short-to-medium passing does't improve any further -- do the Skins change all their schemes for him?

One thing for sure -- finding out whether the gamble pays off, would likely be a bumpy ride. It doesn't seem like a great match-- a sensitve, demanding QB coupled with a somewhat rigid, none-too-accomodating coaching staff who want things run 'their way.'

OF, I think the staff is aware of our insiders. By allowing them to break accurate news most of the time, they can also be used to throw a few knuckleballs if/when needed. (To the insiders, this post is not intended to question your info or intent, but to further validate it) A least that's how it works in my little brain

Archived