Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com:Redskins prepared to make run on big free agents after lockout

ChillSkinzFan84

Didnt see this posted when i did the search. I apologize if i missed it. Im new to starting threads so bare with me. If it belongs in another thread then just merge it.

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network NFL Network Insider

The Washington Redskins, who largely sat out of the free-agent market in 2010, are prepared to make a splash this year, numerous sources familiar with the team's offseason plans said Tuesday.

Facing a serious lack of talent at crucial positions, the longtime NFC East doormats have put together a list of high-end free agents they want and will be very aggressive in pursuing them as soon as the NFL lockout is lifted, according to the sources.

Signing New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes reportedly is the primary objective of Redskins coach and chief decision maker Mike Shanahan. Guard Marshal Yanda, a player whom the Baltimore Ravens will vigorously fight to retain -- just as the Jets will make a concerted effort to retain Holmes -- also is coveted in Washington.

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins and brother Kris, who's oft-injured but was very effective for the Jets when healthy, also are key targets for the Redskins, and league sources would be surprised if the team didn't land both, with competition for those two players not likely to be as steep as for Holmes and Yanda.

New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield, despite being a 4-3 player to this point, also has been the subject of offseason planning by the Redskins, who operate a 3-4 defense.

The sources said the Redskins also will work hard to retain some of their own free agents, with wide receiver Santana Moss still in their plans, though it will be tricky to sign him and Holmes. Right tackle Jammal Brown, despite his checkered injury history, also remains in Washington's plans, and the team is optimistic about re-signing him.

Backup quarterback Rex Grossman will be re-signed (Shanahan remains dedicated to John Beck being his starter, team sources said); cornerback Phillip Buchanon will be pursued, given the woeful state of the team's corners; and the Redskins' staff has wavered on the merits of retaining linebacker Rocky McIntosh, who didn't fare well in 2010 evaluations and seemed ill-fitted to the team's scheme.

Clink the link for the whole article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820be464/article/redskins-prepared-to-make-run-on-big-free-agents-after-lockout

Im pretty sure i did this wrong...my apologies if so. Just thought it was an interesting article by the hated JLC. So who knows how much of it is true. Would love to get Santonio Holmes though along with the Jenkins brothers. Would Colfield be a DE or NT?

That'd be one hell of a FA class.

I think Santonio would demand the big bucks though. This team has the potential to look totally different this year.

I agree, maybe they dont mind paying Santonio because they have to spend big bucks regardless. They will have to overpay to pry him away from the Jets...so if he truly is their #1 target I think they know this and may be prepared to overpay.

Like you said if they really want to make all of these moves this team can look completeley different...and we're not even factoring in the moves that we dont know about yet. Thats why i said yesterday in another thread that it may be possible to turn this thing around in 1 offseason, or atleast change the expectations that most of us fans have right now.

Forgetting whether or not this is accurate. The open here is the reason why this guy is such a douche.

He makes a statement of fact apparently based on his opinion that the Redskins are "facing a serious lack of talent at key positions". According to who? Nobody cares what your opinion is, you have about as much knowledge about this than just a fan. If this sentiment was expressed to you by someone in the Redskins or even in the sport, then cite that fact.

Right now that line comes across as a personal shot at the Redskins coupled with the next line which, while true, is uncalled for if one fancies themselves a real grownup professional reporter.

As for the main thrust of this piece, if one can't trust the "reporter" who has been wrong so often, then there is no point in speculating on the specifics of the piece.

...As for the main thrust of this piece, if one can't trust the "reporter" who has been wrong so often, then there is no point in speculating on the specifics of the piece.
That's true, but the real shame is that this garbage is only believable because it's about Snyder's Redskins. No other team could afford to go after so many big names and be stupid enough to try.

I am just in love with the idea of the bro´s Jenkins...our line would look like this, Jenkins, Jenkins and Jenkins. The Triple Threat Jenkins in da house.

Eli Manning is under center, watch out for Jenkins...keep Jenkins out of the backfield. And the o-line turns around and looks at him like wtf, which one?

Lol wilco. I like that.

That complete charlatan and disgrace to his profession JLC aside, this is sadly something we're not gona' escape for a LONG time yet due to our past history under this ownership. It's easy work for lazy ass morons like JLC to just add the Redskins name to A N Other big name FA because we all know Snyder pays the money. (Yawn.).

On the flip side, if this is our policy again this year, I totally and utterly despair with this organization and would lose all faith in Shanahan and Allen.

Hail.

I would want no part of Santonio Holmes. He is a headcase and a big pay bonus would bring out the lazy me first attitude - he is also a drug suspension waiting to happen.

Bring back Santana Moss or if you want to bring in new blood Sidney Rice.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 07:12 AM ----------

I think it's time by pass FA until next season.

If there is one year to get involved in free agency its this year. Its the largest class probably ever and becuase of the CBA situation and the uncapped year there are lots of 26 to 28 year old free agents with 4 years experience and good starting experience.

We need to be very active in free agency but with targets in the right age bracket and for reasonable contracts who can be part of a developing core over a number of years. If we pay big bucks for ageing vets who are realistcally 2 or 3 year options we have clearly learned nothing and are stuck in the same holding pattern.

We need to be very active in free agency but with targets in the right age bracket and for reasonable contracts who can be part of a developing core over a number of years. If we pay big bucks for ageing vets who are realistcally 2 or 3 year options we have clearly learned nothing and are stuck in the same holding pattern.

I agree. We should not sign anyone over the age of 28 with the exception of NT.

...If there is one year to get involved in free agency its this year. Its the largest class probably ever and becuase of the CBA situation and the uncapped year there are lots of 26 to 28 year old free agents with 4 years experience and good starting experience...
Agreed that the team has a great opportunity to advance. I'm betting that they blow it. What do you think?

You guys can have Santonio, just keep the trees away from him or else he's gone for a full season.

I'll take re-signing Edwards, a better run-blocker for our run first attack, and signing Plaxico Burress. Add in returnees like Jerricho Cotchery and Dustin Keller and we're still set at the WR position.

Vinny Cerrato no longer resides here,so I'm not worried.

If the rest of you want to run around like your hair's on fire..have at it. :)

I think just about all of us feel better that Vinny is no longer around and we are in better hands. But the only way was up from Vinny to be fair. It remains to be seen exactly what approach the new regime is taking but the next few weeks should give us pretty good idea if we are following the same model we have had around here for the last 20 years just with more competent management or if we are taking a longer term view to developing a roster.

Archived