Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com:Redskins prepared to make run on big free agents after lockout

ChillSkinzFan84

I see your counter, and raise you the starting CB of the Indianapolis Colts, Justin Tryon.

The numbers don't lie. Barnes is already a good NB, and his potential as a CB is frankly unknown.

your optimism is rubbing off on me. Id like to be cautiously optimistic. I think if Hall were better in coverage Id have no issue with Barnes being the #2 guy. I just don't have the confidence that this is a position he can handle full time.

your optimism is rubbing off on me. Id like to be cautiously optimistic. I think if Hall were better in coverage Id have no issue with Barnes being the #2 guy. I just don't have the confidence that this is a position he can handle full time.

I'm not guaranteeing he's good.

I'm just saying that on any other team in the league, option #1 would be starting Barnes, option #2 would be looking for help outside the team.

And I am saying that he has passed all the tests up to this point. For a team not winning the SB this year, there is no reason to promote him to the final exam.

(Also, having 1) a better pass rush, and 2) a very good FS over the top, will take a lot of the pressure off our DBs from last season)

What we don't need is another WR. Re-sign Moss and go with Moss, Armstrong, and the rest of the pups. Let someone emerge. Between Moss, Armstrong, Cooley, and Davis you have targets and if someone from Hankerson, Paul, Kelly, Austin and Banks emerges then you're set.
I agree with quote 100%. Although our team is just plain bad as a whole, I believe that our offense is closer to being fixed than our defense.

We must must replace Rabach and maybe sign a LG. IMHO those two simple moves, combined with the return of healthy vets and what we did in the draft, would make a significant change for the better in our offense.

I am just in love with the idea of the bro´s Jenkins...our line would look like this, Jenkins, Jenkins and Jenkins. The Triple Threat Jenkins in da house.

Eli Manning is under center, watch out for Jenkins...keep Jenkins out of the backfield. And the o-line turns around and looks at him like wtf, which one?

Not gonna lie, I'm now hoping that we sign the Jenkins brothers just so this can happen. :ols:

I see your counter, and raise you the starting CB of the Indianapolis Colts, Justin Tryon.

The numbers don't lie. Barnes is already a good NB, and his potential as a CB is frankly unknown.

I certainly was not arguing against Barnes being given the chance to be a starter. He clearly showed talent and promise.

As for Tryon, I'll match and raise you...he played quite bit of nickel back for us. And the secondary for the Colts is far worse than ours was at the time. So no surprise that Tryon fit in. But the fact that Tryon was successful (in one year, lets remember) suggests he was developed OK by us, but we failed to identify the talent and ability he had to keep him in DC. The Colts didn't "develop" him; we did. Polian "identified" talent that could help his team; apparently we did not.

If we were playing chess....that would be checkmate! :D

The fact that we gave away a CB who, despite where he started on the depth chart, finished the year as a highly effective starter for nothing should tell you that our organizations eye for young talent have been woefully off.

Tryon has proven himself to be a starting caliber CB, despite years of people, including many posters on this board, saying he was not NFL material. We simply had neither the patience or desire to properly develop him.

The question was, are our draft picks poorly developed, or are they simply not NFL caliber players. The answer in this case is the former.

So, instead of passing over another talented young NB in favor of an expensive FA option, how about we promote the talented young NB?

Honestly we are the doormat of the NFC east. We are pretty terrible at most positions. Why are people so pissy about this? What team have you been watching? I think signing S. Holmes to a big contract would be a mistake. I think he is awesome, but I think he also had a chip on his shoulder after being shipped out for a 5th rounder. He is a little mentally unstable, I see him slacking after the contract. I am all for taking ravens players for two reasons; The ravens have a very good scouting department, and do very well with their picks. 2, I hate the ravens, so if the move helps us and pisses them off at the same time, I love it.

Tryon has proven himself to be a starting caliber CB, despite years of people, including many posters on this board, saying he was not NFL material. We simply had neither the patience or desire to properly develop him.
I thought Tyron filled in, at Indy, due to other player's injuries?

...The Colts didn't "develop" him; we did. Polian "identified" talent that could help his team; apparently we did not...
The Skins didn't do much "developing." I read that Darrell Green worked extensively with Tryon at the request of Tryon's mother.

The Skins didn't do much "developing."

What evidence do you have of this?

I read that Darrell Green worked extensively with Tryon at the request of Tryon's mother.

What evidence do you have of this, or this even having an impact.

Tryon made it on a team because of injuries he wasn't a day-1 starter, and he won't be a day-1 starter next year for the Colts.

I thought Tyron filled in, at Indy, due to other player's injuries?

Tyron worked his way up the depth chart due to injuries, but once there he played very, very well.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2010

Starting the final six games of the regular season, and the Colts playoff loss to the Jets (where he combined to limit Holmes and Edwards to a combined 90 yds), Tryon wound up ranking in the top ten of ALL CBs in many of football outsiders CBs stats.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 07:13 PM ----------

Tryon made it on a team because of injuries he wasn't a day-1 starter, and he won't be a day-1 starter next year for the Colts.

Most colts fans want him to start opposite Powers next season. He's a far better CB today than Hayden.

And of course he wasn't a day 1 starter, he was a depth acquisition that was worked into the line up over the course of the season and will probably get a shot to start at CB this season.

They sure as heck won't be signing a big name FA.

What evidence do you have of this?

What evidence do you have of this, or this even having an impact.

I told you what I read and it sounded believable. The article included quotes by Darrell on Tryon's progress and an opinion that the kid could start in the NFL.

I made the logical deduction that Tryon was in need of Darrell's help which suggests that he hadn't gotten what he needed at Redskins Park.

If you'd prefer not to accept this, that's fine with me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/10/AR2009081002781.html

Most colts fans want him to start opposite Powers next season. He's a far better CB today than Hayden.

That's meaningless.

And of course he wasn't a day 1 starter, he was a depth acquisition that was worked into the line up over the course of the season and will probably get a shot to start at CB this season.

Working your way into the lineup sounds like you got promoted for solid play, that wasn't the case for Tryon, he got a chance to start because of injury, he won't get a chance to start this year unless there is another injury.

They sure as heck won't be signing a big name FA.

That's because they don't have a hole at this position, they have starters and depth that has shown it can fill in if necessary.

The Redskins won't go after signing a big name FA TE this year.

I told you what I read and it sounded believable. The article included quotes by Darrell on Tryon's progress and an opinion that the kid could play in the NFL.

What's a mentor going to say?

I made the logical deduction that Tryon was in need of Darrell's help which suggests that he hadn't gotten what he needed at Redskins Park.

That's one hell of a logical deduction. Countless players in the NFL seek help from their alma mater or retired players from a given team, doesn't mean they don't get one they need at the park, in addition his mother inquired Darrell Green's services half-way through Tryon's first off-season, hardly enough time (for a mother) to judge how a team is developing a player.

Let's be realistic here, come on now.

If you'd prefer not to accept this, that's fine with me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/10/AR2009081002781.html

Accept what? That Darrell Green worked with him? I accept that, I just have no idea how much of an impact it had, and I certainly don't have any idea if he went there because he felt he wasn't getting satisfactory "development" from the coaches at Redskins park, and neither do you.

I think you are simply discounted the fact that Tryon played his way into an audition for a starting job. It would be the first time in the NFL that has happened due to injury.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 07:33 PM ----------

Can you support this opinion with some facts?

Colts had him all last-season he only started in games when a player was injured.

...Accept what? That Darrell Green worked with him? I accept that, I just have no idea how much of an impact it had, and I certainly don't have any idea if he went there because he felt he wasn't getting satisfactory "development" from the coaches at Redskins park, and neither do you.
I make the logical deduction that if Darrell spent six weeks with him, he probably got one-on-one training that helped him--training that he didn't get at Redskins Park. Why are you so reluctant to accept that?

I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to argue here.

We do a bad job developing and using young talent on our team. One example is Tryon.

Do you think you are roving we didn't do a bad job with Tryon by dismissing his accomplishments this season?

Archived