Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSNwashington.com: Redskins: Changing of the guards in 2011?

Chump Bailey

http://www.csnwashington.com/06/30/11/Redskins-Changing-of-the-guards-in-2011/landing_redskins_loud3r.html?blockID=538383&feedID=272

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:15 a.m.

By Rich Tandler

Redskins Blogger

CSNwashington.com

When free agency starts, Roger Goodell, DeMaurice Smith and company permitting, one of the biggest questions the Washington Redskins have to answer is what to do at the guard spots. Should they start out the way they finished last season and stick with Kory Lichtensteiger on the left side and Will Montgomery on the right? Or should they bring in free agents to challenge one or both of them? Lichtensteiger came in a year ago and was expected to back up Derrick Dockery, the starter at left guard since 2003 (except for a stint with the Bills in 2007-2008). But when the regular season started, Lichtensteiger began to line up in Dockery’s spot for a series here and a series there. Lichtensteiger started the third game of the season and the rest of the year after that. Dockery played sparingly after that and he was inactive for 10 of the final 12 games.

The reason Mike Shanahan made the switch was the zone-blocking scheme. It emphasizes agility and quickness over size and power. At 6-foot-2, 292, Lichtensteiger was a good fit; at 6-foot-6, 345 Dockery was not. Dockery was released prior to the NFL lockout. Montgomery was inactive for the first four games and gradually worked his way into the lineup. He filled in for injured starter Artis Hicks in Week 10 against the Eagles and then overtook a healthy Hicks for the starting job in Week 12. Moving up to the here and now, the Redskins need to decide whether or not the two are good enough to keep their jobs in 2011 or if one or both should be replaced.

Are they guys with whom the Redskins can win? Or should they expend some of their cap space to bring in one or two free agents who might upgrade the position?

---------- Post added June-30th-2011 at 07:08 AM ----------

I agree with stevemcqueen1 in that Davin Joseph would be a poor fit for us.

---------- Post added June-30th-2011 at 07:11 AM ----------

I'd like to trade with the Bronco's for their OG draft selection Orlando Franklin.

This article put good perspective on the guard position. I definatly think some type of competition should be brought in. Even if Eric Cook is looking good on the practice squad. Maybe Heyer should be brought back and given a shot at guard. I'm more worried about Right Tackle though. Heyer if resigned, Capers... Jamal Brown would be alright but I wasn't impressed with him either.

I have to believe that Shanahan is: a) pleased with the progress of the current players we have at G or B) he has plans to bring in some veteran help as evidenced by his disinterest in drafting O-line in the early rounds when players like Wisniewski, Hudson were available in the 2nd round. I really thought they would spend the 2nd pick on one of these guys.

I really hope Ryan Harris is in their sights once the season gets started.

Edit: Oh yeah, Rabach must go! But I have to believe if he had some help at the guard position, we would be able to hide his deficiencies.

I have to believe that Shanahan is: a) pleased with the progress of the current players we have at G or B) he has plans to bring in some veteran help as evidenced by his disinterest in drafting O-line in the early rounds when players like Wisniewski, Hudson were available in the 2nd round. I really thought they would spend the 2nd pick on one of these guys.

I really hope Ryan Harris is in their sights once the season gets started.

Yeah, I thought the position would have been addressed earlier too and I don't care for the Maurice Hurt selection. I have mixed feelings about Harris, but I suppose Mike knows what he'll be getting with him better than anyone else. For the record, I happen to like Montgomery and Kory too. My guy early would have been Orlando Franklin.

It's just maddening to me and many others why the center position (Rabach) is not being replaced. His play certainly deserves immediate replacement attention.

I've said this in most other threads involving the o-line: we have the worst starting center in the league if not bottom 5 at the very least.

He both allows inside push by DTs right in our QB's faces, while at the same time providing only minimal push in the running game....what gives??

Oh yeah, Rabach must go! But I have to believe if he had some help at the guard position, we would be able to hide his deficiencies.

You can't hide deficiencies in the NFL. They can and will be exploited.

---------- Post added June-30th-2011 at 05:23 AM ----------

Our most glaring weakness--it seems obvious to me anyway-- team-wide over the last few years has been our OL play, especially the interior, and especially last year. I think it had a very negative impact on McNabb's performance, to the point now it's spread to us having an additional uncertainty at the QB position. I think they really need to get a handle on the OL problem before the QB situation will ever settle down. I'm of the opinion a dominant OL makes every other position work better, including the defense that doesn't have to be constantly worn down by the end of the 3rd quarter.

I would be happy with harris or brown. At the end of the year Brown was playing better. Would I love to see an upgrade at guard? Sure. On the flip side, letting this unit play together for a 2nd season (with minor tweeks) and we might see a big jump in cohesion. I can live either way. I still want to see another big time DL signed to shore up that side of the ball.

I've been more concerned about the interior of our line for a while. It seems that most of the pressure has been coming straight up the middle for a long time. A quarterback might have some chance to avoid or make a play when the pressure is coming off the edge, but the constand jailbreaks coming right at him really limit options. More, we've been such a bad third or fourth and short team. That must speak about our lack of push and strength in the middle. We fail at third and inches more than any other team.

Yeah, I thought the position would have been addressed earlier too and I don't care for the Maurice Hurt selection. I have mixed feelings about Harris, but I suppose Mike knows what he'll be getting with him better than anyone else. For the record, I happen to like Montgomery and Kory too. My guy early would have been Orlando Franklin.

Am I alone in thinking that we're keeping Rabach to be a backup and moving Monty or Lich over to Center?

Am I alone in thinking that we're keeping Rabach to be a backup and moving Monty or Lich over to Center?

I think so Hitman. I hope you're right, but I think Mike and Kyle are content in having Rabach remain at C for the foreseeable future. Unless Cook or Kory make a very compelling case in the preseason, I expect to see Casey there.

I think so Hitman. I hope you're right, but I think Mike and Kyle are content in having Rabach remain at C for the foreseeable future. Unless Cook or Kory make a very compelling case in the preseason, I expect to see Casey there.

God I hope not. When Rabach went down in the Titans game, the improvement on our O Line was immediate, noticable, and drastic.

It's just maddening to me and many others why the center position (Rabach) is not being replaced. His play certainly deserves immediate replacement attention.

Both Montgomery and Kory L are naturally C's or can play C, acquiring another G might signal the departure of Rabach as well, and one of these guys will slide in.

I've said this in most other threads involving the o-line: we have the worst starting center in the league if not bottom 5 at the very least.

He both allows inside push by DTs right in our QB's faces, while at the same time providing only minimal push in the running game....what gives??

Exactly I've been saying it for a couple years too. Casey is horrible at this point in his career. Absolutely terrible.

He is "Super Smart"?

No you're not - I was thinking the same, or that Shanny has a C somewhere in the wings he thinks can do the job. He's not a good policy, but Rabach is a bit of insurance.

I'll be very disappointed if he's the starter.

No you're not - I was thinking the same, or that Shanny has a C somewhere in the wings he thinks can do the job. He's not a good policy, but Rabach is a bit of insurance.

I'll be very disappointed if he's the starter.

Agreed. I think Shanny making him a Captain for the last part of the season was his swan song as a starter. Kind of a "thanks for the memories" before he sits the bench.

Agreed. I think Shanny making him a Captain for the last part of the season was his swan song as a starter. Kind of a "thanks for the memories" before he sits the bench.

You know - I hadn't thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. It also sets him up as a bit of an elder statesman and that facilitates a mentorship role. God I hope this is the case...

Archived