Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LAT: San Francisco considers banning the sale of all pets

China

For the record, I have no problem with outlawing the sale of animals. Want a pet? Go to a shelter.

If you want a specific breed with papers going back to the King of Norway in 1754.....kill yourself.

Of course, despite the fact I just told people to kill themselves, I'm not a radical. And like all legislation in San Francisco this is going to be pushed into the human fake tofu quasi-meat grinder that is identity politics and come up with something unpleasant.

But I like the overall idea.

No zoony. San Francisco did not ban foie gras. The supervisors passed a resolution commending restaurants that did not choose to serve foie gras, but you can still get it if you want it.

Since foie gras is disgusting as well as cruel, I wouldn't care if they banned it. But they didn't.

For the record' date=' I have no problem with outlawing the sale of animals. Want a pet? Go to a shelter.[/quote']

We've gotten our last two dogs and cat from a shelter. Definitely won't do a dog from a shelter again. There's a reason they are there from my experience. I don't like most breeders either, so I guess the solution will be no more @#%^#! pets. I'll put a bird feeder outside if I feel I need somethign destroyed (squirrels).

Most importantly, will people still be able to get live bait? Don't mess with fishing!

so what's progress if not that?

Progress is an illusion. People will always be people, broken and failing, generation upon generation have tried to create the Utopian (read progressed) society, and every time they have failed, because they fail to take into account the failing of humanity.

but whatever, we're gonna be eating meat, and having puppy mills for a LONG time

I don't mind the former at all,or that latter THAT much

I eat meat and have no problem with it, nor have our ancestors throughout all of human history. And I do have a problem with puppy mills, but legislation to eliminate the sale of all animals for pets...:doh: that's not progress that's idiocracy.

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 12:39 PM ----------

For the record' date=' I have no problem with outlawing the sale of animals. Want a pet? Go to a shelter.

If you want a specific breed with papers going back to the King of Norway in 1754.....kill yourself.

Of course, despite the fact I just told people to kill themselves, I'm not a radical. And like all legislation in San Francisco this is going to be pushed into the human fake tofu quasi-meat grinder that is identity politics and come up with something unpleasant.

But I like the overall idea.[/quote']

I've got an AKC registered black lab, full blodded, and I plan in the future to have more AKC registered black labs sired by him...and I'm not going to kill myself nor am I going to endorse puppy mills. Your logic that one equals the other is failed.

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 12:41 PM ----------

We've gotten our last two dogs and cat from a shelter. Definitely won't do a dog from a shelter again. There's a reason they are there from my experience. I don't like most breeders either, so I guess the solution will be no more @#%^#! pets.

We did the same thing and not just once, we've adopted 6 dogs from shelters over the years and each time we've had trouble, to the point that two of them bit someone and once my daughter. This time we chose to go with a registered full stock lab, and the difference is noticeable. I'm not saying that people shouldn't adopt, in fact I encourage it, but my experience with adoption has been overwhelmingly negative.

Not trying to be a dick - but you do realize that your AKC papers mean virtually nothing, right?

Even if your dog has AKC papers it can still have a ton of genetic issues and it definitely doesn't mean you should breed your dog. It's not nearly as bad as "puppy mills" but irresponsible breeding of dogs with "papers" is a big problem as well.

I'm quite sure you'll blast me for this but it's the truth - I have the greatest dog in the world - yellow lab with AKC papers and all, but I would never think of breeding him - if for no other reason than the fact that I don't feel like spending the thousands of dollars to get genetic tests done. Also, we've fostered quite a few dogs from the local lab rescue and there are a ton of great dogs out there needing homes. I plan to adopt in the future but wouldn't leave out going to a responsible breeder again someday.

I'm sure you'll blast me for this but I feel it needed to be said.

Progress is an illusion. People will always be people, broken and failing, generation upon generation have tried to create the Utopian (read progressed) society, and every time they have failed, because they fail to take into account the failing of humanity.

This is heretical.

But it's also just really wrong.

Since foie gras is disgusting as well as cruel, I wouldn't care if they banned it. But they didn't.

It is absolutely delicious. I suspect you've never tasted it, as that is the common reaction from people who think it will taste like liver. I've been around too many first-time eaters for you to convince me differently, so go ahead and tell me you've tried it. Don't worry I won't believe you. :P

And it's not cruel. Ducks and geese flock to the farmer with the funnel and fight over who gets to go next. No more cruel than say, any average fattie at Wal Mart stocking up on twinkies.

Besides, geese have brains the size of LKB's manhood anyways. They are here to make us delicious meals.

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 01:54 PM ----------

For the record' date=' I have no problem with outlawing the sale of animals. Want a pet? Go to a shelter.

If you want a specific breed with papers going back to the King of Norway in 1754.....kill yourself.[/quote']

This shelter stuff is completely out of control. There are very good reasons why certain people want certain pets from certain breeders. They should not be vilified for it.

Personally, I think we should feed dogs to the homeless in an effort to solve our hunger problems.

It is absolutely delicious. I suspect you've never tasted it, as that is the common reaction from people who think it will taste like liver. I've been around too many first-time eaters for you to convince me differently, so go ahead and tell me you've tried it. Don't worry I won't believe you. :P

And it's not cruel. Ducks and geese flock to the farmer with the funnel and fight over who gets to go next. No more cruel than say, any average fattie at Wal Mart stocking up on twinkies.

Besides, geese have brains the size of LKB's manhood anyways. They are here to make us delicious meals.

The city of Chicago, not SF, banned foie gras a couple years ago. One less topping for their deep dish pizzas.

It is delicious. And apparently there are relatively humane ways of producing it besides shoving a metal funnel down the goose's neck.

The city of Chicago, not SF, banned foie gras a couple years ago. One less topping for their deep dish pizzas.

It is delicious. And apparently there are relatively humane ways of producing it besides shoving a metal funnel down the goose's neck.

I was eating with a co-worker at a swanky place last month. She's the type of person that orders the steak or chicken at every meal, always well done. She won't try anything. I ordered the pan-seered foi gras for an appetizer. She didn't know what it was, I think she thought it was a portabella mushroom or something. She was RAVING about it... "why haven't I ever tried this before???". I then told her it was distended goose liver.

This shelter stuff is completely out of control. There are very good reasons why certain people want certain pets from certain breeders. They should not be vilified for it.

Personally, I think we should feed dogs to the homeless in an effort to solve our hunger problems.

A. I'm packing.

B. I could be convinced of a compromise where there is a much more restrictive licensing practice for breeders and all pet store sales are abolished. But it absolutely drives me nuts to know that every major city has a rescue group for every breed you can imagine and people are giving thousands of dollars to breeders.

I was eating with a co-worker at a swanky place last month. She's the type of person that orders the steak or chicken at every meal, always well done. She won't try anything. I ordered the pan-seered foi gras for an appetizer. She didn't know what it was, I think she thought it was a portabella mushroom or something. She was RAVING about it... "why haven't I ever tried this before???". I then told her it was distended goose liver.

For as much as you mention him, it's never occurred to me that you have basically created your entire online persona around Anthony Bourdain. The gonzo redneck foodie.

This is heretical.

But it's also just really wrong.

Heretical? Against who's orthodoxy? Progressive Enlightenment Orthodoxy?

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 02:22 PM ----------

And the people of Chicago stood up and had the ban over-turned.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/14/chicago-overturns-foie-gras-ban/

Yes, I've had foie gras quite a few times. I'm sure you don't believe me. :P

I still order dishes that have foie gras as a small element of a larger entree, such as a quail or salmon preparation. But I find it way to rich for my liking, especially standing alone. I know people enjoy it, but then, some people enjoy brussel sprouts, lima beans, urchin, natto beans and sweetbreads, and aI'll pass on all of those as well. :)

B. I could be convinced of a compromise where there is a much more restrictive licensing practice for breeders and all pet store sales are abolished. But it absolutely drives me nuts to know that every major city has a rescue group for every breed you can imagine and people are giving thousands of dollars to breeders.

See again you're pretending that one equals the other' date=' i.e. that puppies people are paying thousands of dollars are the same puppies from puppy mills. If the consumer would do their homework and check out the breeder before they bought the dog then the puppy mills would evaporate, as it is they don't.

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 02:29 PM ----------

Not trying to be a dick - but you do realize that your AKC papers mean virtually nothing, right?

It means as much as it's supposed to mean, i.e. that the dog is of full blood of the particular breed. It's not supposed to mean that it's of superior genetic quality or a champion. But, it does register the dog as being full blood which means that it is suitable for breeding for other full blood dogs of that breed. Trying to make more out of it than what it is like trying to make more out of a carfax report than what it is or even what it presents itself as.

Yes, I've had foie gras quite a few times. I'm sure you don't believe me. :P

I still order dishes that have foie gras as a small element of a larger entree, such as a quail or salmon preparation. But I find it way to rich for my liking, especially standing alone. I know people enjoy it, but then, some people enjoy brussel sprouts, lima beans, urchin, natto beans and sweetbreads, and aI'll pass on all of those as well. :)

Ooohh....a punishing body blow from the stocky middleweight from the Golden State. How will the Tennessee Terror respond?

Archived