Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LAT: San Francisco considers banning the sale of all pets

China

San Francisco considers banning the sale of all pets

The proposal started with dogs and cats, expanded to birds and hamsters, and now includes any animal that walks, flies, swims, crawls or slithers — unless you plan to eat it.

Reporting from San Francisco—

The first vision was simple and straightforward: To curtail puppy mills and kitten factories, the sale of cats and dogs should be banned in San Francisco, where the loving guardians of animal companions come to regular blows — politically — with the loving parents of children.

The ban was put on hold last year after animal advocates broadened it to include anything with fur or feathers. Now it's back, with a new name and a new strategy: More is more. The Humane Pet Acquisition Proposal is on its way to the Board of Supervisors, and it hopes to protect everything from Great Danes to goldfish.

Yes, goldfish. And guppies, gobies, gouramies, glowlight tetras, German blue rams. No fish, no fowl, no reptiles, no amphibians, no cats, no dogs, no gerbils, no rats. If it flies, crawls, runs, swims or slithers, you would not be able to buy it in the city named for the patron saint of animals.

Representatives of the $45-billion to $50-billion-a-year pet industry call the San Francisco proposal "by far the most radical ban we've seen" nationwide and argue that it would force small operators to close. Animal activists say it will save small but important lives, along with taxpayer money, and end needless suffering.

"Why fish? Why not fish?" said Philip Gerrie, a member of the city's Commission of Animal Control and Welfare and a coauthor of the proposal. "From Descartes on up, in the Western mindset, fish and other nonhuman animals don't have feelings, they don't have emotions, we can do whatever we want to them. If we considered them living beings, we would deal with them differently.… Our culture sanctions this, treating them as commodities and expendable."

The commission voted earlier this month to send a proposal to the Board of Supervisors recommending a ban on the sale of all pets in the city to shore up the adoption of unwanted creatures from shelters and rescue organizations. Commissioners are now looking for a supervisor or two to sponsor such an ordinance.

Snake food was almost exempt from the proposal. After all, pythons have to eat, and they like their lunch alive. But at a heated meeting, Commissioner Pam Hemphill questioned how it could be humane to sell live animals to be fed to other live animals.

"If a snake is caught with a rodent in a box, the rodent can scratch its eye and cause an infection," said Hemphill, who noted that reptiles on display at the California Academy of Sciences eat dead, frozen prey. "The snake can't escape, and the rodent might be stuck for one or two days in the box with the snake because the snake's not hungry right then.

"So it doesn't seem very humane to me," she continued. "And if the frozen [food] works, then I think the killing of the animals to be food is probably more humane."

It is legal in San Francisco to sell live animals for eventual human consumption, and the proposed ban would not stop markets from selling live fish, poultry, turtles or seafood for that purpose.

Click on the link for the full article

I hope this passes in a form that is limited to to dogs and cats, too many of those little **** dogs running around, the ones women and gay dudes use as accessories. There are already too many dogs and cats in shelters anyway. Of course this proposal goes way too far, and would never ever actually become a law.

Well, this is certainly a novel approach to a terrible problem. Seems much more complicated than going after the puppy/kitten mills themselves. Also, I dont know how big SF is, is it really that inconvenient to leave the city limits to buy a pet? I live in Arlington, i got my dog in Aldie. :whoknows:

At first glance, this is how I read your post. :)

I hope this passes in a form that is limited to to dogs and cats, too many of those little **** dogs running around, the ones that use women and gay dudes as accessories.

Dog-Walking-a-Man--53133.jpg

A ban on selling any and all pets seems heavy handed. I'd feel for business owners. Wouldn't you just be able to drive out of the city limits and buy your kid a guinea pig if you wanted? I don't see this law doing anything but putting a handful of shops in San Fran out of business. It wouldn't make a dent in the sale of pets IMO.

That woman arguing over snake food should be taken out and flogged.

I've never heard anything more stupid in my life.

~Bang

So apparently you don't watch C-SPAN then......... :ols:

But seriously, is SF having some contest for the most incredibly stupid legislation imaginable? Seems like hardly a week passes without another member of the flake brigade in the news proposing another mindnumbing addition to their repertoire.

For everyone who always says that the Federal Government is too all-encompassing, and that power needs to devolve back to the local level, beware. This is the kind of legislation you will get. :ols:

By the way, the push here is coming from the Department of Animal Care and Control and the SPCA. As far as I know, San Francisco is the only city in the country that has a strict no-kill policy. It does not euthanize stray dogs and cats unless they are dying or determined to be too violent for adoption. They are trying to get people to adopt a shelter dog or cat rather than buy a puppy mill dog or cat.

That is an admirable goal, but even if it passes, this ban isn't going to do much other than be symbolic. There are only an handful of pet stores in the City proper, and none of them sell dogs or cats. There is no way for the proponents to do what they really want to do, which is to have an impact on the horrific puppy and kitten mills in Missouri.

I doubt the ordinance will pass, but anything is possible. :whoknows:

So feeding live mice to snakes is inhumane. Then I guess feeding live goldfish to cichlids or other fish is inhumane as well. By the same logic the live crickets I feed to our gecko are also being treated inhumanely. Is it inhumane to let the goldfish in my fish pond eat mosquito larvae?

So feeding live mice to snakes is inhumane. Then I guess feeding live goldfish to cichlids or other fish is inhumane as well. By the same logic the live crickets I feed to our gecko are also being treated inhumanely. Is it inhumane to let the goldfish in my fish pond eat mosquito larvae?

It's only inhumane if it has fur. What, is everybody dumb? sheesh.

The goal is just. So keep it going SF.

All those mocking now, as always, you're on the wrong side of history.

I bet 20 to 50 years from now many of these "radical" laws become the norm.

Progress vs. Regress, progress always wins........................eventually.

:ols: Ok....seriously I hope this is just trolling.

The goal is just. So keep it going SF.

All those mocking now, as always, you're on the wrong side of history.

I bet 20 to 50 years from now many of these "radical" laws become the norm.

Progress vs. Regress, progress always wins........................eventually.

Early 20th Century Progressive Movement on line 1. You'd better pick up.

(That whole 18th Ammendment thingy)

I love the whole Progress is making the world a better place thinking, it really is pretty cute in its naivete.

so what's progress if not that?

but whatever, we're gonna be eating meat, and having puppy mills for a LONG time

I don't mind the former at all,or that latter THAT much

Archived