Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com-Sources: 48 percent share for players

authentic

click for the rest

Under the new formula being negotiated, players will receive 48 percent of all revenue and will never dip below a 46.5 percent take of the money, sources said.

In the previous collective bargaining agreement, players received approximately 60 percent of "total revenue" but that did not include $1 billion that was designated as an expense credit off the top of the $9 billion revenue model. Owners initially were seeking another $1 billion in credit only to reduce that amount substantially before exercising the lockout on March 13.

Ultimately, the two sides have decided to simplify the formula, which will eliminate some tedious accounting audits of the credit the players have allowed in the previous deal. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has stated that players were actually receiving around 53 percent of all revenues instead of the much advertised 60 percent.

Owners still will get some expense credits that will allow funding for new stadium construction, sources said.

A rookie wage scale will be part of the new deal but is still being "tweaked," and the much-discussed 18-game regular season will be designated only as a negotiable item with the players and at no point is mandated in a potential agreement. A new 16-game Thursday night TV package beginning in 2012 will be the source of new revenue.

As revenues are projected to possibly double by 2016 to $18 billion annually, retired players will benefit from improved health and pension funding that is expected to increase significantly.

:munchout:

Wonder who would get the new full season of Thursday games?? I would like to see TNT get back into the game.

NBC is going to be rebranding VS. pretty soon to soemthing along the lines of NBCsports. The only problem is that all they have right now are low rated sports like cycling, hockey, and rodeos. A NFL game would put them up there with FSN, and ESPN.

@DonBanks: League owners are expected to go back into meeting at 1:30 pm CT, but only "for a couple more hours'' after that. That's good news, fans

@DonBanks: It means the NFL will have a consensus of sorts among owners coming out of here today, and going back into talks with the players.

Good news from Don Banks

so if I'm reading it right, owners get a little more off the top (extra expense credits), but not the full billion extra, and in exchange players get 48% of all remaining revenue instead of 60% of net, and they get a guarantee it can never dip below 46.5%

and on top of that a rookie wage scale is finally introduced, plus increased benefits for retired players

seems good to me, but all I can understand is the on the surface stuff, no clue about potential flaws in the deal for either side

So basically, instead of the owners getting an extra Billion, they get an extra half Billion, with a new formula.

from what i've gathered. It looks like the players would get a $550 mill. increase from the last deal. This is assuming that their prior percentage was 53% of the 8 bill.

On schedule with no preseason games missed.

So i guess we can get ready for FA by around the 2nd week of July?

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 01:13 PM ----------

AdamSchefter More at ESPN: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 01:14 PM ----------

ClarkJudgeCBS Watching guys return to meetings with suitcases packed. That means they're outta there this pm, which could mean no substantial opposition

Once this is done, all the NFL has to do is have a deal with Cable companies...I'm tired of having to watch Redskins games online in poor quality, at some sketchy site, just because I live in NY. Only games I get to see really are any ones on Sunday or Monday Nights and the two games against the Giants.

It seems like a fair deal for the players. Especially with the minimum salary cap. For the players to go from 60 to 48 the owners must have thrown in some sources of fund raising that weren't previously on the table. And, NFL is a good business. Probably the only sector in our economy that seems to be bullet proof. So they should see an increase each year in revenue. Owners should make more though. They are taking the investment risk. Where do we sign?!?!

Very happy to hear about a rookie salary cap. It always bothered me when a rookie was one of the most expensive guys on the team and how often they forced out trusted vets because a team just couldn't afford them. I think the NBA got it right on how to pay rookies. Let them earn it before getting the big pay day.

So i guess we can get ready for FA by around the 2nd week of July?

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 01:13 PM ----------

AdamSchefter More at ESPN: If and when agreement is reached, all players with 4, 5 and 6 years of service are expected to be unrestricted free agents.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 01:14 PM ----------

ClarkJudgeCBS Watching guys return to meetings with suitcases packed. That means they're outta there this pm, which could mean no substantial opposition

DUDE. What does that list of players look like? That is a LOT of talent that is going to be available. All players with 4, 5, 6 years experience would lead one to believe that tags (franchise, transition) may be abolished?

Hold on to your butts.

DUDE. What does that list of players look like? That is a LOT of talent that is going to be available. All players with 4, 5, 6 years experience would lead one to believe that tags (franchise, transition) may be abolished?

Hold on to your butts.

Well the list is gonna be HUGE! However, according to Schefty, the franchise tag will remain.

If NFLPA* likes this, wheels begin to roll quickly. Agreement in principle can be made, with signed CBA a week later. Salary cap would be projected, and rookie slots determined. Could see FA start within a week of a signed agreement.

Now watch the court come back and rule in favor of owners tomorrow!

Players get 48 percent of "all revenue," without extra $1-billion-plus off top that previously had been requested by owners.

18-game regular season designated only as negotiable item and at no point is mandated in deal.

You would think that would be a real sticky point in the negotiations?!?!

Wouldn't 18 games generate a bunch more revenue? The 48 percent of all revenue must be contingent on a 16 game season? 48 percent could generate millions more for the players during an 18 game season.

I wonder what the players percentage would be in a vote on players only......what's more important, player safety or more money?

Still no word on franchise tags, transition tags, 53 man rosters, number of players on practice squad. You know all the little things that interest me instead of how many millions each party gets.

You would think that would be a real sticky point in the negotiations?!?!

Wouldn't 18 games generate a bunch more revenue? The 48 percent of all revenue must be contingent on a 16 game season? 48 percent could generate millions more for the players during an 18 game season.

I think the players REALLY don't want 18 games, mainly for safety issues. The owners may not be as view it as major negotiation sticking point, because they still get that extra $1bill in revenue from preseason.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 01:34 PM ----------

I found this list of FAs

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=QB&y=2011

with just a brief glance, it seems to be accurate, not certain tho

IDK, they still have John Beck as an UFA, where we signed him to the extension last preseason.

Archived