Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com-Sources: 48 percent share for players

authentic

NBC is going to be rebranding VS. pretty soon to soemthing along the lines of NBCsports. The only problem is that all they have right now are low rated sports like cycling, hockey, and rodeos. A NFL game would put them up there with FSN, and ESPN.

I can't imagine that ESPN would allow that.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 02:00 PM ----------

How can this be correct? Isn't it any player with 4,5, or 6 years of service ... that seems like a ton of players in their prime.

Current contracts would not be torn up, dude. It's not like Ben Roethlisberger suddenly becomes a free agent.

For those of you keeping score at home.

The current formula has the owners taking $1 billion off the top and the players getting 60 percent of the remaining $8 billion. The players got $4.8 billion.

The owners wanted $2 billion off the top and a 50/50 split of the remainder. This meant the players got $3.5 billion.

The new deal is 48 percent of $9 billion. The players get 4.32 billion.

They split the goddamn difference.

For those of you keeping score at home.

The current formula has the owners taking $1 billion off the top and the players getting 60 percent of the remaining $8 billion. The players got $4.8 billion.

The owners wanted $2 billion off the top and a 50/50 split of the remainder. This meant the players got $3.5 billion.

The new deal is 48 percent of $9 billion. The players get 4.32 billion.

They split the goddamn difference.

So why can't the players just hurry up and agree in principle. That way they could have something written up and signed by July 4th which would usher in FA!?

I can't imagine that ESPN would allow that.

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 02:00 PM ----------

I don;t think ESPN would have much of a say on Thursday night games. The only thing it would effect are ESPN's (usually crappy) Thursday night college games. It's normally two schools you have never heard of, or a Virginia Tech-Sister Mary's School For The Blind matchup.

"Just to clarify: Any player with 4, 5 or 6 years of service -- whose contract is expired -- is expected to be an unrestricted free agent."

From Schefter's Twitter ... Apparently I wasn't the only one who was like wtf.

I mean wow, free agency will be crazy and some teams would be screwed.

Imagine having a handful of players that finished their 4th year of service, which under the old CBA would make them a RFA. Now they automatically become a UFA, with possibility of NO compensation for the team? WOW!

I wonder maybe, just maybe, the 5 years of service would be in place this year, and the 4 years of service would start next year. Some teams could be in trouble. The 2007 class has a bunch of potential RFA that would become free.

here are the Redskins who will be unrestricted free agents:

LB H. B. Blades

OT Jammal Brown*

CB Phillip Buchanon

S Reed Doughty

DE Kedric Golston

QB Rex Grossman

OT Stephon Heyer

ILB Rocky McIntosh*

WR Santana Moss*

CB Carlos Rogers*

OLB Chris Wilson

*Primary starter at position in 2010.

here are the Redskins who will be unrestricted free agents:

LB H. B. Blades

OT Jammal Brown*

CB Phillip Buchanon

S Reed Doughty

DE Kedric Golston

QB Rex Grossman

OT Stephon Heyer

ILB Rocky McIntosh*

WR Santana Moss*

CB Carlos Rogers*

OLB Chris Wilson

*Primary starter at position in 2010.

I'm thinking Moss Golston and Grossman should be our top priorities...I'm pretty sure RT will be addressed through FA.

That's funny. I was thinking Doughty, Grossman, Wilson, Golston in that order. Don't care much for the rest.

Doughty has some serious competition with Macho Harris, Horton, OJ and the rookie Gomes....but Reed is one smart and tough football player so you can't count him out.

Archived