Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com-Sources: 48 percent share for players

authentic

I get what Jflow is saying' date=' but here is my question: Do the Pats or Steelers or Ravens just throw rookies onto the field? No, except in rare cases, guys spend a year or two as backups or special teamers, with the understanding that the job will eventually belong to them. Troy Polamula barely played as a rookie.[/quote']

That was actually exactly my point. I think I was talking about OJ Atogwe and how it was a good sign because it gives us a chance to have a guy for 4-5 years and pick up a younger player during that time, to replace him. I haven't gotten into the receiver conversation at all, just the DBs. I was saying that the Pats/Steelers/Ravens all have their teams set up so that they have time to find a suitable replacement through the draft, without actually being forced to pick rookies every season who can start. That way, they have the option of signing a FA, without feeling like they were forced into it (as we have been in the past).

With OJ, I think the signing gives us a chance to have that kind of perpetual training tool at FS. It's the way Green Bay has been able to get fantastic WRs EVERY YEAR. Nearly all their guys are picked up later in the draft (I think Jordy Nelson was their highest WR pick and he was a 2nd). They have great starters, draft guys who aren't polished but are hard workers with lots of potential, and then when their older guys are ready to step down (due to age or injury) their younger players have had a couple years to get prepared and they step right in. That's what we can begin doing with some of these moves, but we're definitely behind the curve right now, so signing some FAs to start for a while, until we have younger players to take over, is necessary (and not a horrible thing, like some people tend to believe).

I am in favor of letting Kevin Barnes earn the job with competition in camp, but I'm not in favor of signing some insanely expensive FA. There have rarely been any FAs that have lived up to their contract, especially when they come at such a steep price, it was the same with Asante Samuel, everyone said he was a huge over-priced bust his first year or two with Philly, even though his numbers were just as good as in NE. People sign a great player expecting him to be even better, and when he's still the same player they feel cheated. And that's when FA signing actually go right.

So, I'm not against the signing at all, I just don't think in our #2CB case, we should sign Asomugha. However, in the case of WR, we don't have ANYONE we can really count on, so I hope we resign Moss. The guy is a hard worker who does whatever the team asks, and gets the job done on a regular basis, although I get annoyed when he drops easy passes I still think it's a better option than going after the #1 WR in FA.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 02:22 PM ----------

What does more dimensional mean? Also, what do you mean the only notable CB?

Are you arguing to argue? The "only notable CB" doesn't even make sense!

I think he's saying Carlos is more versatile, whereas Asomugha only ever covered one side of the field and is only known for man-to-man. As for him being the only "notable" corner, I would assume he means they didn't have any other good corners, but he may be forgetting Hall was traded there when he was thought to be one of the best in the league.

I would say Asomugha overshadowed his counterpart due to his great skill, and not because his counterparts were so awful, and every corner who makes a reputation for themselves gets the benefits of that rep for a few years. Just look at Deion when he came here. It was clear he lived off of his rep in Dallas for a while and his skills had regressed, and that Champ was lightyears better than he was.

More games for Asomugha because he was the only notable CB the Raiders had.

That has nothing to do with how many games he's, or how much experience he has. In fact, being the "only notable CB the Raiders had" would give him more experience. It's not like he gets credit for two games played because he didn't have a notable CB opposite him.

Your arguments aren't making sense.

More games for Asomugha because he was the only notable CB the Raiders had.

More games because ;

1) He's been in the league longer

2) He's averages 2 games more per season than Carlos. That'll be the injuries for Carlos, and the fact that Carlos couldn't be arsed playing & risking his FA status. Didn't want any bad footage on tape, remember.

That has nothing to do with how many games he's, or how much experience he has. In fact, being the "only notable CB the Raiders had" would give him more experience. It's not like he gets credit for two games played because he didn't have a notable CB opposite him.

Your arguments aren't making sense.

He has a lot of experience as a one dimensional CB, covering one side of the field.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 07:02 PM ----------

More dimensional means that Carlos touches the ball and it drops to another plane/dimension (the ground). Asomugha probably boringly catches INTs more often.

Asomugha is still a 50% CB. I really hope the Skins save some money and not buy his services.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 07:17 PM ----------

I am in favor of letting Kevin Barnes earn the job with competition in camp, but I'm not in favor of signing some insanely expensive FA. There have rarely been any FAs that have lived up to their contract, especially when they come at such a steep price, it was the same with Asante Samuel, everyone said he was a huge over-priced bust his first year or two with Philly, even though his numbers were just as good as in NE. People sign a great player expecting him to be even better, and when he's still the same player they feel cheated. And that's when FA signing actually go right.

So, I'm not against the signing at all, I just don't think in our #2CB case, we should sign Asomugha. However, in the case of WR, we don't have ANYONE we can really count on, so I hope we resign Moss. The guy is a hard worker who does whatever the team asks, and gets the job done on a regular basis, although I get annoyed when he drops easy passes I still think it's a better option than going after the #1 WR in FA.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 02:22 PM ----------

I think he's saying Carlos is more versatile, whereas Asomugha only ever covered one side of the field and is only known for man-to-man. As for him being the only "notable" corner, I would assume he means they didn't have any other good corners, but he may be forgetting Hall was traded there when he was thought to be one of the best in the league.

I would say Asomugha overshadowed his counterpart due to his great skill, and not because his counterparts were so awful, and every corner who makes a reputation for themselves gets the benefits of that rep for a few years. Just look at Deion when he came here. It was clear he lived off of his rep in Dallas for a while and his skills had regressed, and that Champ was lightyears better than he was.

Thank you for your interpretation as to what my posting was all about, and you were correct. I assumed that most posters realized after Hall had departed from the Raiders,Oakland was naked in the defensive back field with the exception of Asomugha.

Let Dallas or some other team spend the big bucks on Asomugha so we can have some fun abusing him in man-to-man coverage. Rogers wants to leave, so let him. Just give Barnes his chance to become a star in this league.

Barnes didn't play the Nickel slot last season until injuries, Buchanon did. It was Hall, Rogers, Buchanon, and while he was here Tyon battled Barnes for a roster spot. Barnes was mostly used on ST and in dime packages until injuries last season.

If we do like angel says and don't sign a FA, don't re-sign Buchanon ( someone who knows the system, and has more experience then Barnes) and let Barnes get a baptism by fire as the full time #2, that leaves us very short on depth again, and we have been in that position before.

I don't think we need to spend a lot of money on a big name FA, but i do think its important to bring back Buchanon at the very least, and then let Barnes and Buchanon show the coaches who is better. Id trust the coaches decision after watching both try to earn the spot. Blindly handing the #2 corner spot to Barnes is not the way to do things in my opinion.

Barnes didn't play the Nickel slot last season until injuries, Buchanon did. It was Hall, Rogers, Buchanon, and while he was here Tyon battled Barnes for a roster spot. Barnes was mostly used on ST and in dime packages until injuries last season.

If we do like angel says and don't sign a FA, don't re-sign Buchanon ( someone who knows the system, and has more experience then Barnes) and let Barnes get a baptism by fire as the full time #2, that leaves us very short on depth again, and we have been in that position before.

I don't think we need to spend a lot of money on a big name FA, but i do think its important to bring back Buchanon at the very least, and then let Barnes and Buchanon show the coaches who is better. Id trust the coaches decision after watching both try to earn the spot. Blindly handing the #2 corner spot to Barnes is not the way to do things in my opinion.

Stew, I feel humble that you mention me in your post. My disagreement with your thinking is that if you don't give the younger promising players a chance to play the position they were drafted to play then its very possible you could lose them to the new CBA guidelines for FAs. Barnes is coming up to his third season on this team and could after his 4th season move on elsewhere (propose CBA would give FA to players with four years of service, right?) and if the team really is going down the rebuilding path then they must seriously start employing the younger players to play and see what the team may have. I believe the new CBA will dictate how draftees will be used in the near future.

It sounds as if you are not down with my philosophy of "use them or lose them". I can appreciate your concerns but I am willing to go with a younger player that has shown some versatility of being able to play multiple DB positions. Barnes took an extra year to get the opportunity to contribute in a positive way and showed some serious promise. I don't think I am being cavalier about this at all. By all means, we need able back ups - if its Buchanan so be it. But he would not be my starter. Is that a gamble? Sure it is and I would be willing to go with it.

I'm fine with bringing back Buchanon and letting him and Barnes battle it out for the 2 spot. If Barnes deserves it, he'll win it. Buchanon was good at nickle, not as good at the 2 spot, so I imagine Barnes, who started to shine late in the season, had a game-ending INT IIRC, can win the battle. Who knows, perhaps Westbrook steps up also, or Dutch, and we have a solid group of CBs.

Wow. Someone in this thread said Hall made references to Aso not being good in man.

Either this person doesn't know what they're talking about, or Hall has been hitting the purple drank. Aso and Revis are the best two man coverage corners in the league, and this point is not argued by anyone other than Steelers homers who argue that Ike Taylor has better numbers (fwiw, he doesn't). Aso is in man almost every play, and QB's fear throwing to his side of the field so much that...well..they don't.

Anyone arguing that Aso isn't the #1 or #2 corner in the league is arguing against peers and experts.

That being said, I think there are a lot of exciting options. I'd love having Aso but feel that he commands too much cash. We have too many holes to go sinking our boat with one big fish.

Wow. Someone in this thread said Hall made references to Aso not being good in man.

Either this person doesn't know what they're talking about, or Hall has been hitting the purple drank. Aso and Revis are the best two man coverage corners in the league, and this point is not argued by anyone other than Steelers homers who argue that Ike Taylor has better numbers (fwiw, he doesn't). Aso is in man almost every play, and QB's fear throwing to his side of the field so much that...well..they don't.

Anyone arguing that Aso isn't the #1 or #2 corner in the league is arguing against peers and experts.

That being said, I think there are a lot of exciting options. I'd love having Aso but feel that he commands too much cash. We have too many holes to go sinking our boat with one big fish.

Keep in mind that Hall and Asomugha played together before and it wasn't a marriage made in heaven. They both had questions about the others' weaknesses. But I agree with you, he would cost too much money to sign. I believe Antogwe was our big signing in the back field and we won't duplicate another big signing in that area.

Sure, Asomugha is considered the best FA CB out their, but I am not totally sold on his all-around game. Hey, just me speaking my mind and my opinion does not warrant negativity, right?

Keep in mind that Hall and Asomugha played together before and it wasn't a marriage made in heaven. They both had questions about the others' weaknesses. But I agree with you, he would cost too much money to sign. I believe Antogwe was our big signing in the back field and we won't duplicate another big signing in that area.

Sure, Asomugha is considered the best FA CB out their, but I am not totally sold on his all-around game. Hey, just me speaking my mind and my opinion does not warrant negativity, right?

.....And remember this is Landry's contract year. IMO, he IS a priority to re-sign for an extention. Too much $$ tied up in the secondary as it is.

So maybe Hall has jealousy issues? Because the only weakness I can find in Aso is that he hasn't cloned himself to play the other side of the field. If I sounded negative, my apologies. The main thrust of my comment was that Hall is either a moron or someone was making something up. I'm inclined to believe Hall's a moron. He's a 7 out of 10 corner. Aso's a 10. It's that simple.

Stew, I feel humble that you mention me in your post. My disagreement with your thinking is that if you don't give the younger promising players a chance to play the position they were drafted to play then its very possible you could lose them to the new CBA guidelines for FAs. Barnes is coming up to his third season on this team and could after his 4th season move on elsewhere (propose CBA would give FA to players with four years of service, right?) and if the team really is going down the rebuilding path then they must seriously start employing the younger players to play and see what the team may have. I believe the new CBA will dictate how draftees will be used in the near future.

It sounds as if you are not down with my philosophy of "use them or lose them". I can appreciate your concerns but I am willing to go with a younger player that has shown some versatility of being able to play multiple DB positions. Barnes took an extra year to get the opportunity to contribute in a positive way and showed some serious promise. I don't think I am being cavalier about this at all. By all means, we need able back ups - if its Buchanan so be it. But he would not be my starter. Is that a gamble? Sure it is and I would be willing to go with it.

No need to feel humble my friend, I was addressing you because of the interaction we had earlier in the thread, and the other people responding to your opinion about Asamwaugh. Its not so much I don't think we should use or play Barnes, as it is that giving him a job he hasnt played at this level, full time, isn't a wise move. Thats my stance.

Barnes was our dimeback and has two years of limited game time experience to draw from. He was raw last year and had to battle Tryon for a roster spot. It wasn't until Rogers (I believe) got injured or sat out due to injury, that he got in as the nickel, with Buchanon taking over for Rogers and Barnes holding down the nickel spot. I agree that we need to let our own players play. I think Barnes would get a ton of reps at the nickel spot, again Im just not on board with blindly handing him the position bc its his third year when he had to fight for a roster spot last season.

he couldn't beat out Buchanon last year for the nickel spot, or else he would have played there in place of Buchanon, is all Im saying. The dude is young with a lot of upside, but he would need to prove he is better then Buchanon for me to feel comfortable withhim at the #2 spot. it would be like making Banks our #1 receiver this season because he played a little last season.

In my last post I said I would be fine with Barnes as our #2 if the coaches saw that as the best move for the team. From what Im gathering from what you are saying, Barnes should be the starting corner opposite of D. Hall regardless, even if he isn't the second best corner we have? Im def not trying to mince your words, or piss you off so Im trying to get what you are saying.

I think we both are looking in the same direction, but maybe slightly different opinions. I argee that we don't need to break the bank with Asamwaugh (s/p) or with any high priced free agent really. I think Barnes gives us quality depth that could probably perform spot duty, and if needed, could probably step into a larger role. I just think re-signing Buchanon is the best move because of his familiarity in the system, the fact that he performed well when called on, and because he has showed he can man the #2 corner spot. I also think that if put head to head to win the position, the advantage goes to Buchanon who has had more experience in the role, and has been exposed to more looks in a game time experience.

Now, keeping Barnes at nickel this season doesn't really stunt his growth or set him back at all. he still gets a good number of plays in each game, and he could be somewhat of an unknown commodity if Buchanon or Hall does go down and plays above expectations.

Its just my opinion, and its not too much different then yours, I just think we need Buchanon to be resigned, and then the competition at the #2 db spot can begin. If Barnes beats out Buchanon, Im with you, and he will deserve the position. Im just not sold on handing him the job and saying "its your to lose". We can cross the "Is Barnes the player of the future" bridge later in the season or in the next offseason. It just seems a little early for me to go casting my total faith in him as our future starter... and me and my wife are big fans of his! :ols:

I like your opinions man, and I like how you stick to your guns, but with respect. Its a breath of fresh air. I really don't think we are that far off in terms of whats best for the team, and I DO see your side with letting our young guns earn their stripes in battle. I prolly just want to take it one step slower then you do... out of caution on my end of course. Please don't think I was being desrespectful or singling you out in this thread, you just have a good conversation going about our DB's, and its an area that I think we could have a lot of success with, if tended to and cultivated correctly.

So maybe Hall has jealousy issues? Because the only weakness I can find in Aso is that he hasn't cloned himself to play the other side of the field. If I sounded negative, my apologies. The main thrust of my comment was that Hall is either a moron or someone was making something up. I'm inclined to believe Hall's a moron. He's a 7 out of 10 corner. Aso's a 10. It's that simple.

No problem, some real funny comments about Hall, LMAO. Hall did point out a down side to Asomugha game. Correct me if I am wrong but we have been using a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 2 defenses last season. We didn't play that much man up and consequently, did not see too much of Rogers strong suit. If we would bring in Asomugha we would have to change that?? If that's the case, then that signing would weaken a defensive strategic weapon.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 04:25 PM ----------

No need to feel humble my friend, I was addressing you because of the interaction we had earlier in the thread, and the other people responding to your opinion about Asamwaugh. Its not so much I don't think we should use or play Barnes, as it is that giving him a job he hasnt played at this level, full time, isn't a wise move. Thats my stance.

Barnes was our dimeback and has two years of limited game time experience to draw from. He was raw last year and had to battle Tryon for a roster spot. It wasn't until Rogers (I believe) got injured or sat out due to injury, that he got in as the nickel, with Buchanon taking over for Rogers and Barnes holding down the nickel spot. I agree that we need to let our own players play. I think Barnes would get a ton of reps at the nickel spot, again Im just not on board with blindly handing him the position bc its his third year when he had to fight for a roster spot last season.

he couldn't beat out Buchanon last year for the nickel spot, or else he would have played there in place of Buchanon, is all Im saying. The dude is young with a lot of upside, but he would need to prove he is better then Buchanon for me to feel comfortable withhim at the #2 spot. it would be like making Banks our #1 receiver this season because he played a little last season.

In my last post I said I would be fine with Barnes as our #2 if the coaches saw that as the best move for the team. From what Im gathering from what you are saying, Barnes should be the starting corner opposite of D. Hall regardless, even if he isn't the second best corner we have? Im def not trying to mince your words, or piss you off so Im trying to get what you are saying.

I think we both are looking in the same direction, but maybe slightly different opinions. I argee that we don't need to break the bank with Asamwaugh (s/p) or with any high priced free agent really. I think Barnes gives us quality depth that could probably perform spot duty, and if needed, could probably step into a larger role. I just think re-signing Buchanon is the best move because of his familiarity in the system, the fact that he performed well when called on, and because he has showed he can man the #2 corner spot. I also think that if put head to head to win the position, the advantage goes to Buchanon who has had more experience in the role, and has been exposed to more looks in a game time experience.

Now, keeping Barnes at nickel this season doesn't really stunt his growth or set him back at all. he still gets a good number of plays in each game, and he could be somewhat of an unknown commodity if Buchanon or Hall does go down and plays above expectations.

Its just my opinion, and its not too much different then yours, I just think we need Buchanon to be resigned, and then the competition at the #2 db spot can begin. If Barnes beats out Buchanon, Im with you, and he will deserve the position. Im just not sold on handing him the job and saying "its your to lose". We can cross the "Is Barnes the player of the future" bridge later in the season or in the next offseason. It just seems a little early for me to go casting my total faith in him as our future starter... and me and my wife are big fans of his! :ols:

I like your opinions man, and I like how you stick to your guns, but with respect. Its a breath of fresh air. I really don't think we are that far off in terms of whats best for the team, and I DO see your side with letting our young guns earn their stripes in battle. I prolly just want to take it one step slower then you do... out of caution on my end of course. Please don't think I was being desrespectful or singling you out in this thread, you just have a good conversation going about our DB's, and its an area that I think we could have a lot of success with, if tended to and cultivated correctly.

No disrespect taken.

Yeah, our results of our respective opinions are close. But, I judge a player on how he learns the defense that is presented to him not the number of years his competition has over him. It seems to me that Jim Haslett's defense requires students of the defensive game. Can Barnes be good as Buchanan in executing Jim's defense. If Barnes knows where he is suppose to be in any defense London Fletcher calls and performs that coverage to a "T" then to me he is just as good as Buchanan who may be relying on recognizing offenses as his forte. I am not talking about "free-lancing" but what I am talking about is knowing the various coverages being called and how quickly Barnes execute them. From what I saw last season when Barnes played, he was not intimidated as he was when the season first started.

With the above said, I would go with Barnes and throw caution to the wind and rely on Barnes' youth and speed and the fact that he knows the defensive formations.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 04:36 PM ----------

I'm sure he'll be used in the same capacity as in 2010 and not 2009.

I forgot all about Landry! Sign him up coach.

No problem, some real funny comments about Hall, LMAO. Hall did point out a down side to Asomugha game. Correct me if I am wrong but we have been using a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 2 defenses last season. We didn't play that much man up and consequently, did not see too much of Rogers strong suit. If we would bring in Asomugha we would have to change that?? If that's the case, then that signing would weaken a defensive strategic weapon.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 04:25 PM ----------

No disrespect taken.

Yeah, our results of our respective opinions are close. But, I judge a player on how he learns the defense that is presented to him not the number of years his competition has over him. It seems to me that Jim Haslett's defense requires students of the defensive game. Can Barnes be good as Buchanan in executing Jim's defense. If Barnes knows where he is suppose to be in any defense London Fletcher calls and performs that coverage to a "T" then to me he is just as good as Buchanan who may be relying on recognizing offenses as his forte. I am not talking about "free-lancing" but what I am talking about is knowing the various coverages being called and how quickly Barnes execute them. From what I saw last season when Barnes played, he was not intimidated as he was when the season first started.

With the above said, I would go with Barnes and throw caution to the wind and rely on Barnes' youth and speed and the fact that he knows the defensive formations.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 04:36 PM ----------

I forgot all about Landry! Sign him up coach.

One reason we played a lot of zone last year was because of Hall. He's a liability unless there's someone watching his back. I'd suggest that Aso has never shown himself to be weak in zone, but the Raiders use him in man simply because they can. I'm expecting another secondary acquisition in free agency, but not necessarily Aso. I'd be extremely pumped over Joseph.

One reason we played a lot of zone last year was because of Hall. He's a liability unless there's someone watching his back. I'd suggest that Aso has never shown himself to be weak in zone, but the Raiders use him in man simply because they can. I'm expecting another secondary acquisition in free agency, but not necessarily Aso. I'd be extremely pumped over Joseph.

Totally agree with you about Hall. But, we have a lot of BIG dollars tied up in him. Hall to, got better in the latter part of the season. His tackling was crisper and he delivered some serious hits. He is a gambler and this defense fits him most times.

Of course, as your CBs change so does your coverage type. I would be totally surprise if they brought in Joseph. I think their emphasis will be at NT. Joseph would demand a big contract, not as much as Hall's contract but to me they have blown their budget for DBs. Defensive line still needs some good reassurance. As they say, it all starts up front. Albert more than likely will be gone. Thus, opening up a slot for another defensive lineman.

But I don't see another big signing in the back field.

I was thinking that between Jarvis Jenkins and Anthony Bryant that the NT spot may be ok. Bryant was pretty nimble on his feet at times for such a big guy, and if Jenkins can live up to his draft stock, we may have a viable solution there. In my eyes, the O-line is the spot on this team in need of the most attention.

I was thinking that between Jarvis Jenkins and Anthony Bryant that the NT spot may be ok. Bryant was pretty nimble on his feet at times for such a big guy, and if Jenkins can live up to his draft stock, we may have a viable solution there. In my eyes, the O-line is the spot on this team in need of the most attention.

In effect, the Skins will need one more player on the D Line to replace Haynesworth - still think that the D Line needs some more experience in the middle. I think that's where the next spending will be going, once the CBA is signed or the lock out is lifted. There's a possibility that Cook might be ready to compete with whomever the RT might be. There's always the supplemental draft for the RT spot too.

I was thinking that between Jarvis Jenkins and Anthony Bryant that the NT spot may be ok. Bryant was pretty nimble on his feet at times for such a big guy, and if Jenkins can live up to his draft stock, we may have a viable solution there.

In the post draft session before the lockout Shanny and Allen were talking about Jenkins being looked at for one of the DE spots not NT Chris Nield who we drafted in the 7th round is a true NT. I do think we may look to bring a vet in to play in a rotation with Bryant and Nield may be a candidate for the practice squad.

In my eyes, the O-line is the spot on this team in need of the most attention.

Absolutley. We need a RT and RG who are not currently on the roster and ideally a C to. This and addressing the QB position - assuming McNabb is gone we only have Beck under contract - are the big needs when the league year starts again IMO.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 12:19 PM ----------

There's always the supplemental draft for the RT spot too.

I assume your talking about Mike Adams. Has he declared for the supplemental draft?

In the post draft session before the lockout Shanny and Allen were talking about Jenkins being looked at for one of the DE spots not NT Chris Nield who we drafted in the 7th round is a true NT. I do think we may look to bring a vet in to play in a rotation with Bryant and Nield may be a candidate for the practice squad.

Absolutley. We need a RT and RG who are not currently on the roster and ideally a C to. This and addressing the QB position - assuming McNabb is gone we only have Beck under contract - are the big needs when the league year starts again IMO.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 12:19 PM ----------

I assume your talking about Mike Adams. Has he declared for the supplemental draft?

As others have pointed out, we can't get every position of need filled this season, so pick your poison and live with it for another season or two. FA may help some but I seriously doubt we will go over-board in signing FAs.

Last I heard, Adams was going to declare. Rabach is going to play until he can't physically play anymore.

Archived