Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computerworld: Xerox plans to transfer 600 jobs to Indian outsourcer (Obama Related/Really Ironic)

heyholetsgogrant

News

Xerox plans to transfer 600 jobs to Indian outsourcer

Affected Xerox employees face choice of taking a job with HCL or face possible pink slips

By Patrick Thibodeau

June 10, 2011 04:41 PM ETComments (15)Recommended (10)

Computerworld - Xerox has told about 600 employees that if they don't agree to transfer to an Indian outsourcer they may face unemployment.

In May, Xerox told employees in its product engineering group that it was in outsourcing talks with India-based IT services firm HCL Technologies.

According to Xerox, HCL will assume responsibility for certain aspects of Xerox's mechanical, electrical and software engineering activities. HCL already does some IT outsourcing work for the company...........................

Xerox CEO Ursula Burns was appointed last year by President Obama as vice chairman of the President's Export Panel, which is advising the administration on how to increase U.S. exports.

Author:Patrick Thibodeau

Source: Computerworld

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217545/Xerox_plans_to_transfer_600_jobs_to_Indian_outsourcer

:ols:

I would ***** about people giving Obama way too much power--and thus way too much blame--on things, but who am I kidding: us liberals did the exact same thing with Bush.

Sure you would. And I would ***** about how y'all weren't gonna change things....oops. That was the ENTIRE idea. My bad. :)

Somebody please explain to me how this is "Obama related" or "really ironic"...

I admit I was hard on Bush, but I fail to comprehend how this is Obama's fault.

Isn't labor cheaper in India than it is in America? Even if Xerox's taxes were at 0%, wouldn't it still save Xerox money to move jobs to India? Only 600 jobs? Somebody please explain this to me and how Obama is at fault for this.

Well, I was hard on Bush... shouldn't I be equally hard on Obama?

http://theloop21.com/ursula-burns-cnn-interview

Burns knows what it takes to achieve.

In 1980, she earned a Bachelor of Science degree from New York University’s Polytechnic Institute. It was then that she began her career at Xerox as an intern and then later received an offer for a full-time position. Burns later earned her Master of Science in Engineering at Columbia University in 1981.

Burns says she is “panic stricken” by the lack of qualified applicants coming out of American schools. She isn’t just speaking about black and brown children, but all young people:

"We have jobs open ... we can find better candidates in other nations and other places than we can here."

America lags behind the rest of the world when it comes to having the cultural infrastructure and investment necessary to help our children compete in the 21st century.

The thing I do not get with high unemployment why is there not more job training and some sort of partnership between business and government.

Up here they are importing people to work the oil fields with 7 percent unemployment I do not know why they do not move people to the jobs and pay for their training

The thing I do not get with high unemployment why is there not more job training and some sort of partnership between business and government.

Up here they are importing people to work the oil fields with 7 percent unemployment I do not know why they do not move people to the jobs and pay for their training

Training has limitations... Good luck taking somebody without a college degree and training then to be an engineer.

Our political climate and fiscal situation make the situation even more desparate. We seem to have no money to invest into education, no desire to raise revenues, and generally very little ability to set set or achieve any priorities that require additional spending.

The cost of doing business and hiring workers in the USA will always be higher than in developing countries. Lowering taxes or reducing regulations will not change that. We have to compete on things like the quality of the workforce. Inability of this simple fact to enter our national debate is mind bottling.

Training has limitations... Good luck taking somebody without a college degree and training then to be an engineer.

Our political climate and fiscal situation make the situation even more desparate. We seem to have no money to invest into education, no desire to raise revenues, and generally very little ability to set set or achieve any priorities that require additional spending.

The cost of doing business and hiring workers in the USA will always be higher than in developing countries. Lowering taxes or reducing regulations will not change that. We have to compete on things like the quality of the workforce. Inability of this simple fact to enter our national debate is mind bottling.

You want to get out of debt get more people working and brining in revenue, there is money to do it but if the economy turns around what will politicians run on to get control of the various houses of government

We need to adjust our priorities in education more so than the funding...wasting what we have is a losing game,be it funds or people.

us-schools-vs-international3.jpg

http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/

We’ve put together this infographic that compares the United States’ education spend and performance versus eleven countries. The U.S. is the clear leader in total annual spending, but ranks 9th in Science performance and 10th in Math.

During the most recent State of the Union Address, President Obama put out the call to “prepare 100,000 new teachers in the fields of science and technology and engineering and math.” While the need is there to improve student performance in these subjects, the question remains: Are Americans ready to rise to the occasion?

Somebody please explain to me how this is "Obama related" or "really ironic"...

I admit I was hard on Bush, but I fail to comprehend how this is Obama's fault.

Isn't labor cheaper in India than it is in America? Even if Xerox's taxes were at 0%, wouldn't it still save Xerox money to move jobs to India? Only 600 jobs? Somebody please explain this to me and how Obama is at fault for this.

Well, I was hard on Bush... shouldn't I be equally hard on Obama?

I didn't say this was Obama's fault, but it is Obama related because he appointed her to help aid US exports, exporting jobs is the last thing we want to happen. If Obama really wants to create jobs here, he would appoint people to these positions who have an INTEREST in creating jobs here, like small and medium size business leaders (you know where the jobs are created). Many of these corporation (not all, but many), have shown increasing interest in shifting jobs over seas. Time to move on from catering them

Trying to blame Obama for something Burns did as a private citizen is stupid and ignorant. As CEO of a major corporation she is obligated to do what is best for share holders and in this case it means saving money by transferring jobs. And frankly it has nothing to do with advising the administration on how to increase U.S. exports. Now if some how she decreased Xerox's export of printers and copiers worldwide, you might have a point. Or if her responsibility was to advise the administration how to keep jobs in the US... Oh hell yeah, there would be an issue.

But that isn't the case here. This is about some people wanting to play gotcha and score political points any way possible. None of this is to say I'm happy about Xerox outsourcing jobs. But that's a completely different issue with lots of problems to overcome before we expect companies to act any different.

We need to adjust our priorities in education more so than the funding...wasting what we have is a losing game,be it funds or people.

We’ve put together this infographic that compares the United States’ education spend and performance versus eleven countries. The U.S. is the clear leader in total annual spending, but ranks 9th in Science performance and 10th in Math.

During the most recent State of the Union Address, President Obama put out the call to “prepare 100,000 new teachers in the fields of science and technology and engineering and math.” While the need is there to improve student performance in these subjects, the question remains: Are Americans ready to rise to the occasion?

I agree we need to shift priorities to math/science/tech and dump some of the well rounded student BS. However, I have met plenty of young people who have the technology background who are having a hard time find jobs. I'll put them over any student in India any day.

If people think our schools suck and internationally trained students are better, than why are there so many Indian and Asian students with me in my engineering dept? It seems they come here for the cheaper yet effective education that is offered here.

Yup, most people from outside countries come here because the education infrastructure is excellent for the most part in comparison. The problem is the kids. I went to one of the nicer high schools in northern VA and I can't tell you how many idiots graduated from my high school class. Those idiots are still in fact, total idiots.

Internationally trained students beat out some of our American kids due to a willingness to learn and make use of what's available to them. There is a lot over pampering of kids in this country, and a good portion of them really don't deserve it. They would have been better off getting a kick to the butt at some point in their schooling years.

Yup, most people from outside countries come here because the education infrastructure is excellent for the most part in comparison. The problem is the kids. I went to one of the nicer high schools in northern VA and I can't tell you how many idiots graduated from my high school class. Those idiots are still in fact, total idiots.

Internationally trained students beat out some of our American kids due to a willingness to learn and make use of what's available to them. There is a lot over pampering of kids in this country, and a good portion of them really don't deserve it. They would have been better off getting a kick to the butt at some point in their schooling years.

Yea I agree. If anything makes kids from either here or there better it is how they were raised and what kind of determination and self-discipline they have.

I tend to find her opinion absolute nonsense.

As I have stated before here, I am constantly amazed at the stuff my cousins, that are 10 years younger, are doing. They are lapping me and well beyond where I was at the end of high school. It was far more competitive for a kid graduating high school in the class of 2010 then it was for me graduating in 2000.

I can say I have seen nothing but talented, smart and motivated kids achieving what I could only dream of achieving. Hell just look at the late teens/early 20 somethings on this message board. They are much more intelligent and well thought out then I was 10 years ago when I started posting on ES> I think our future is actually in pretty good hands to be honest.

If people think our schools suck and internationally trained students are better, than why are there so many Indian and Asian students with me in my engineering dept? It seems they come here for the cheaper yet effective education that is offered here.

Don't shoot the messenger, I simply felt that some might like to hear what this CEO thinks about todays' young employee workforce.

this sounds like bs

these jobs aren't getting sent to Belgium, they're sent to India. And it's not because Indian students are more qualified..They are cheaper.

I agree.

Engineering and build stuff great in other countries where work and producing real products is appreciated but America the big money is finding ways to screw people on Wall Street, where big money is made taking peop's retirements and selling things that should never be sold like mortgages

Archived