Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving to Beijing for new job:

Skin'emAlive

So i am taking a job offer in Beijing. Im not going to lie, im pretty excited and terrified about the whole thing. Theres alot of things that i will be giving up, but there are also plenty of positives. Ive been thinking about this really hard for over a month now and i think i have finally come around to this decision. Work around here just isnt happening right now, so i need to do what i gotta do. Has anyone here had any experience living/working in China?

My cousin spent 2-3 years working in Xian. He hated the place. He is a picky eater, and didn't like the food. Chinese food is much different than what is served here, he thought it was dirty and the public restrooms in many cases were a hole in the ground.

Many family's there still live without refrigeration in there homes. They buy food daily.

However, he loved the chinese women and at 40 brought home a 21 year old bride. There are lots of chinese girls looking for a way out.

I travelled around china for work earlier this year. I spent one night in Beijing, and spent most of it eating street food at the night market. One of the great culinary experiences of my life. I thought the food all around China was spectacular, fascinating, and tremendously fun. Beyond the food, the culture(s) there are really fascinating.

I'm jealous - I'm confident that if you have an open mind you'll have an amazing experience. Have fun.

Hope you can find an apartment that's reasonably priced and near the metro. You really don't want to walk around Beijing in the summer with the smog and heat.

Try to stock up on over the counter drug you might need like Tylenol or nyquil.

Avoid "westernize" restaurant like the plague. Try the Peking duck at various small vendors, you could go to Quanjude but it's really famous just for being famous. I couldn't tell the difference between them and a hole in the wall place I found next to some University.

However, he loved the chinese women and at 40 brought home a 21 year old bride. There are lots of chinese girls looking for a way out.

I would never be able to live/work in an Asian country, simply because I do not find Asian women attractive, in the least.

Unless they have some of that colonial-rapist heritage mixed in.

I would never be able to live/work in an Asian country, simply because I do not find Asian women attractive, in the least.

Haha... I dont know what to make of that. But there are like 15 million people in Beijing. Theres gotta be some good looking ones there. The law of averages demands it.

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Hope things work out well for you! I'd be a more than a little apprehensive tho, with all the crazy **** China posts on this board.

To be honest, im kind of hoping i get to see that totem pole / capture the flag game that was on the board here a few weeks ago. Although, maybe that was in Japan...

I went there for a week 2 years ago in October for the golden week. It was an amazing trip. My friend was doing a whole semester there.

Couple things I learned:

1. Bottled water for eating drinking, brushing teeth everything.

2. Bring some medicine until your stomach adjusts to the food.

3. Try to pick up the language quickly as they like to barter and sometimes take advantage of westerners. They tried to do that to my friend and I at a restaurant. Luckily he spoke mandarin so he talked our way out of a potentially expensive lunch we never ordered.

4. Tour all the sites. It was amazing going to the forbidden city, the museums, great wall etc. lots of parks.

He said to try and not buy electronics and stuff there since they are super expensive.

Best of luck. Just try to immerse yourself in the culture. It is amazing.

is that you? or a quote from a movie!

i've lived in Beijing for the past year and a half. i'm leaving in a couple months but, if you'd like to meet up, let me know. i'll pm you my email.

as for general advice:

1) the water isn't unsafe (in the short term) but it's not *good* for you, and it tastes gross. everyone drinks bottled water, but brushing your teeth with bottled water is a waste.

2) bring deodorant and tums. you can find everything else here.

3) you will get used to the hocking-loogie noises. in fact, you will join in because clearing your throat becomes a frequent necessity.

4) if you are living here, rather than just visiting, it's silly to avoid western food. to the Chinese, "western" (italian, french, mexican, american, etc.) food is lumped into one small category of the food spectrum; the rest of the spectrum is comprised of different styles of Chinese food. in fact, many Chinese do not like any non-Chinese food at all. there is an AMAZING variety of styles and dishes, but don't feel obliged to go all-Chinese all the time. that's a surefire way to get hypertension.

5) research VPNs. that's how you get facebook, youtube, etc.

6) unless you get a Chinese girlfriend, don't expect to learn much chinese (beyond the absolute basics) in your first 1-2 years.

7) you WILL go through a phase of hating it here. that's a promise. there is a lot to hate. for most people, it passes, because there are things to like, too.

8) good luck, man.

I loved my time there... but my situation was pretty different.

--- i knew my time there was finite (4 months, one semester)

---all the basic logistics for me were taken care of --- i lived in the "friendship house" on campus, and there were ALWAYS plenty of students that were eager to help out with day-to-day things that come up (showing us around, or what not)

--- I had a decent group of other ex-pats (other foreign teachers) that were in the same boat as me, there for a short time, and ready to make the most of our experiences

but all that said, i LOVED my time there. I lived in the Haidan (university) section of town, not far from the foreign language institute, and there was a lrge vibrant internation community there that was always eager to make friends, and chat.

i wish i could go do it again :)

(by the way... my trip was 12 years ago... things have definitely changed rapidly since that time!)

Archived