Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wall Street Journal: Football's Future If The Players Win.

DM72

Wish I didn't agree with the article. I am having a harder and harder time finding sympathy for the players side as the weeks go by. It seems they are arguing more and more for the death of the NFL. The competative balance now enjoyed by the NFL is the golden goose. Without the current agreements, the NFL may as well shrink to a dozen teams. They will be the only competative ones. When that happens, the TV ratings will shrink in non NFL towns which will drive down ad revenue and future tv deals. All of this will lower what the remaining teams are willing to compensate the remaining players. This is the sprial the players seem to favor. Why?

I know this is Goodell's side, but is it implausable? What protections are the players arguing to keep?

**** Roger Goodell.

It's the goddamn owners that opted out of the CBA. If his fear is the death of the NFL as we know it, he could have continued with the status quo until the end of time. Instead, he opted out of the system in place and demanded a billion more dollars. Now that he has lost the PR battle and has lost nearly all the court battles, he is trying to make the players the scapegoats for this.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 01:51 PM ----------

I know this is Goodell's side, but is it implausable? What protections are the players arguing to keep?

The players wanted to keep the old CBA - which is the general structure that has governed the league for a generation. Goodell wanted the old CBA but with the owners getting about 25 percent more money.

**** Roger Goodell.

It's the goddamn owners that opted out of the CBA. If his fear is the death of the NFL as we know it' date=' he could have continued with the status quo until the end of time. Instead, he opted out of the system in place and demanded a billion more dollars. Now that he has lost the PR battle and has lost nearly all the court battles, he is trying to make the players the scapegoats for this.[/quote']

Can't believe I agree with the off-the-wall LKB. I don't know who's changed - me or him :paranoid:

Its such crap...

How do I know?

Because the players were fine with the current CBA. It was the OWNERS who ended it (They excersised a option to not basicly renew it). So in fact - the players were not the ones that want end football as we know it...if fact, they were fine to keep it EXACTLY the same....

EDIT - Sorry LKB - Didn't read when I posted. But needless to say, I agree 100%

How about we just get a damn season. Agree on something that keeps the draft, 16 game season and all 32 teams... Both sides need to compromise. Let's see some football.

As far as I'm concerned this whole thing is idiotic.

Archived