Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The PHO thread

shuler74

We have a local "chain" called Pho Saigon. It is a family run business with 3 locations in our area. Their food is AWESOME. I love pho. I prefer either chicken or pork with plenty of sriacha and I always ask for extra basil.

They also make a cold noodle dish that comes with satay and cold, shredded meat. I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me. Help?

Pho Hong Ahn (not sure if that's the right name) in springfield plaza and Viethouse in fairfax are my usual Pho places. I get chicken pho or well done beef brisket and I load it with that chili sauce until the soup is red. I have to have it once a week.

Bun cha gio!

A simple and popular dish, basically a combination vermicelli plate. Grilled pork (often ground) and vermicelli noodles are served over a bed of greens (salad and sliced cucumber), herbs and bean sprouts. Often includes a few chopped-up egg rolls, spring onions, and shrimp. Served with roasted peanuts on top and a small bowl of nước chấm.

top three favorite thing to eat ... just amazing.

i love the crazy blend of tastes, sweet, hot, pungent, spicy, hot, and even cold when you add the mung beans.

working that perfect blend of srachi and hoisin sauce.

what i did not know is its a breakfast thing in vietnam.

I always order Pho Tai Nam which is rare slices of beef but only in the fall and winter. I put everything in it and create a little plate or soup spoon with half hosin and half sriracha to occasionally dip the meat peicies in. I enjoy the coffee with condensed milk from time to time as well. Good stuff.

• 4 months later...
My food palette is pretty diverse but PHO is one thing that I could never get into. The flavor is just boring for me.

I use to hate the stuff. I couldn't get over the over whelming taste of cilantro in the broth.

But my wife has been eating it like crazy, and it looked like a lot of fun eating soup and noodles with chop sticks.

So the other day, I tasted just the Hoison sauce. Then I dipped a beam sprout in the sauce and then the broth, and it actually tasted alright.

I bought the well done brisket and crunchy flank pho, threw a gang beam sprouts and pepper slices and drowned it hoison sauce..........man it was off the hook.

My very favorite thing to get at the Pho place down the street is vermicelli with pork and spring rolls. It is TO DIE FOR. Probably my favorite meal ever. They cut up the spring rolls and put it in with the vermicelli. Spring Rolls may be my favorite food.

I also get down with some garden rolls.

Pho Nam in Rockville/Gaithersburg on Shady Grove Rd is soooo good. Throw a ton of Sriracha and its golden.
I eat there once every week or so and it is excellent. I have been to 5-6 Pho joints and the best one I know of was in Cleveland Park, but they are all generally pretty good. Pho Nam is consistently one of the better ones.

Archived