Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Some 40 players attend Redskins’ lockout workout

I think I'm most impressed that 10 of 12 draft picks showed up.

The Washington Redskins are holding their second players’-own minicamp to try to keep themselves sharp during the lockout.

About 40 players attended the first day of the three-day minicamp Tuesday at a Virginia high school. The turnout included 10 of the team’s 12 rookie draft picks.

Also in attendance was NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith, who took questions from players for about 15 minutes after the practice ended.

The practices also offer a chance to renew the big on-field question for the Redskins: Who will be the starting quarterback this fall?

Both Rex Grossman(notes) and John Beck(notes) were present. Grossman is a free agent who hopes to re-sign with the Redskins, while Beck has received strong praise from coach Mike Shanahan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-workout

Would be interesting to see Beck and Grossman out there both acting as the starter. I wonder who the players follow?

For TK/LL/etc.- Is Grossman's presence indicative of him leaning towards resigning with Washington vs. the previous rumors of Cincy, Seattle, or Minnesota?

Looks like only 2 D-linemen showed up-- my boy Nield, the 7th round rookie steal of the draft and Golston, who's not even signed. What's up with all the other linemen? I hope they aren't off drinking and carousing with Fat Al in Costa Rica?

Forty-one Redskins attended today’s player-organized workout. All but two of Washington’s recently-drafted rookies were able to show up. Three players who don’t have contracts for next season even practiced with their teammates.

Here’s a list of all the players on hand:

QB’s: John Beck and Rex Grossman

RB’s: Ryan Torain, Keiland Williams, Mike Sellers, Darrel Young, Roy Helu, Evan Royster, Andre Brown

WR’s: Anthony Armstrong, Terrence Austin, Brandon Banks, Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul

TE’s: Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Logan Paulsen

OL: Casey Rabach, Kory Lichtensteiger Will Montgomery, Selvish Capers, Erik Cook, Clint Oldenburg, Maurice Hurt

DL: Keric Golston, Chris Neild

LB: London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh, Lorenzo Alexander, Ryan Kerrigan, Perry Riley, Chris Wilson, Markus White, Edgar Jones

CB: DeAngelo Hall, Kevin Barnes, Brandyn Thompson

S: Chris Horton, Macho Harris, DJ Gomes, Anderson Russell

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2011/05/24/redskins-organize-player-run-workout/

Courtesy of twitter...

Rich_Campbell Rich Campbell

by john_keim

Redskins 6th-round WR Aldrick Robinson planned to attend today's practice, but his flight was canceled due to weather.

So it looks like the only unexcused rookie was 2nd round DE/NT Jarvis Jenkins who's reportedly working out like a demon at Clemson. That's a pretty solid rookie turnout by any measure.

Did Haynesworth Show?

Of course not.

Mcnabb didn't show either.

Neither really looks like they care about getting any better with the team they took the money from.

Typical of Haynesworth,, surprisingly unprfoessional from McNabb.

Also I'm rather disappointed in Jenkins.. come on rook,, these are unusual times, make the effort. It's great he's working out at clemson, but here was a chance to workout with his actual teammates and other NFL players. Mistake, IMO.

~Bang

The only one that really disappoints me is Landry. But that's a good list. Guys are able to get to know the rooks.

Really unfortunate about D. Smith being there. Not because of what he is saying to the players, but what he is NOT saying to the owners. Like, "let's make a deal." Ok, jack wagon, go do your job and get a CBA done instead of trying to win the PR battle. I really am starting to not like this guy.

Would be interesting to see Beck and Grossman out there both acting as the starter. I wonder who the players follow?

According to Chris Russell, they're more or less following John Beck.

He's doing his best to assume a leadership role.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 01:48 AM ----------

Of course not.

Mcnabb didn't show either.

Neither really looks like they care about getting any better with the team they took the money from.

Typical of Haynesworth,, surprisingly unprfoessional from McNabb.

Also I'm rather disappointed in Jenkins.. come on rook,, these are unusual times, make the effort. It's great he's working out at clemson, but here was a chance to workout with his actual teammates and other NFL players. Mistake, IMO.

~Bang

Jenkins had travel issues...as did a number of players.

these workouts are great for the established vets, but for the young guys who haven't earned a dime yet these are extremely risky. if they pop a career ending injury they will not be covered by any insurance and will have no safety net. if i was a rook or a practice squad guy, i would not be there at all. we can look down on them all we want, but it is not smart to be doing football drills when each cut or movement puts your young career in jeopardy. hopefully they have some kind of coverage that we don't know about.

these workouts are great for the established vets, but for the young guys who haven't earned a dime yet these are extremely risky. if they pop a career ending injury they will not be covered by any insurance and will have no safety net. if i was a rook or a practice squad guy, i would not be there at all. we can look down on them all we want, but it is not smart to be doing football drills when each cut or movement puts your young career in jeopardy. hopefully they have some kind of coverage that we don't know about.

They can also do the same working out on their own. It's no different. So if you were a rook you wouldn't be working out?

Archived