Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Some 40 players attend Redskins’ lockout workout

The only one that really disappoints me is Landry. But that's a good list. Guys are able to get to know the rooks.

Really unfortunate about D. Smith being there. Not because of what he is saying to the players, but what he is NOT saying to the owners. Like, "let's make a deal." Ok, jack wagon, go do your job and get a CBA done instead of trying to win the PR battle. I really am starting to not like this guy.

I haven't liked this guy since the beginning. He's the one who's walking away from any deal the owners are trying to get done, instead of submitting a deal of his own and actually negotiating.

I haven't liked this guy since the beginning. He's the one who's walking away from any deal the owners are trying to get done, instead of submitting a deal of his own and actually negotiating.

Oh please. You mean submitting a deal to the jackoffs who terminated their own agreement, refuse to open the books and attempted to set up a slush fund to tide them over during their lockout of the players?

For the 100th time for those not paying attention, this lockout is an owner created and driven lockout.

As for the players, kudos for acting like pros and organizing these workouts while the owners are trying to **** you over six ways from Sunday.

Oh please. You mean submitting a deal to the jackoffs who terminated their own agreement, refuse to open the books and attempted to set up a slush fund to tide them over during their lockout of the players?

For the 100th time for those not paying attention, this lockout is an owner created and driven lockout.

As for the players, kudos for acting like pros and organizing these workouts while the owners are trying to **** you over six ways from Sunday.

Yeah, but it's really hard to negotiate if one side won't. Both sides are dirty.

Of course not.

Mcnabb didn't show either.

Neither really looks like they care about getting any better with the team they took the money from.

Typical of Haynesworth,, surprisingly unprfoessional from McNabb.

McNabb hasn't shown to anything because he's a punk. I'm not surprised in the least.

Did Haynesworth Show?

I hope not, I don't want him sucking all the joy out of the team's good time.

Who the hell cares if the **** shows? Not me.

...and of course he didn't show; there was no big ass pile of money waiting for him. Did Hanesworth show? LOL! Do you even have to ask?

They can also do the same working out on their own. It's no different. So if you were a rook you wouldn't be working out?

please tell me you understand the difference between lifting/cardio and football drills. they carry a very different set of injury risks. to answer your question, yes i would be working out to keep in physical shape, but i wouldn't be doing any drills with the team unless i had some kind of insurance to cover me.

Or a waitress

Or a speedboat.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 01:36 PM ----------

At this point do you really give a rats ass who is right and who is wrong? I know several people who were on one side or the other that have basically said, "I don't care who is right or wrong, get a deal done." Either way, we as fans are going to pay for what we want to pay for (jerseys, tickets, Directv) whether the owners get their way or the players get their way. Whoever wins really won't effect the fans one iota. Just get a damn deal done. Billionaires vs. Millionaires- who gives a ****! MAKE A DEAL!

please tell me you understand the difference between lifting/cardio and football drills. they carry a very different set of injury risks. to answer your question, yes i would be working out to keep in physical shape, but i wouldn't be doing any drills with the team unless i had some kind of insurance to cover me.

I would imagine they have some sort of insurance, and it's possible the agent is paying this up front and will recoup those costs upon signing a contract. I can't be sure about lower round picks, but it does seem logical to me for the earlier picks at least.

I would imagine they have some sort of insurance, and it's possible the agent is paying this up front and will recoup those costs upon signing a contract. I can't be sure about lower round picks, but it does seem logical to me for the earlier picks at least.

just yesterday on local radio they said Cam Newton won't be working out until his agent can secure insurance for a few million bucks at least. it makes sense for a high pick, but i wonder what options are available to the fringe roster types and low round picks. especially since none of the rookies have any type of contract yet. like i said, i don't know much about the business end of football but i have to assume that these guys have some kind of options available to them so they can workout without worrying about their future.

At this point do you really give a rats ass who is right and who is wrong? I know several people who were on one side or the other that have basically said, "I don't care who is right or wrong, get a deal done." Either way, we as fans are going to pay for what we want to pay for (jerseys, tickets, Directv) whether the owners get their way or the players get their way. Whoever wins really won't effect the fans one iota. Just get a damn deal done. Billionaires vs. Millionaires- who gives a ****! MAKE A DEAL!

Pretty much where I am at with this. I was on the side of the owners, but now I'm just sick of all of them.

I have a degree in physical education. I am a high school strength and conditioning coach and a football coach. What are your credentials?

lifting/cardio will not get you in football shape. You know what gets you in football shape? Football. Sure, lifting and cardio help your overall ability, but nothing primes you for football like football. And for the record, just to be clear for you Mr. Smart Alec :) most of these guys do football drills in the offseason to keep sharp. Hence, when I said work out, I didn't mean just lifting weights and doing cardio... I meant the entire package.

And the risks are no different. Running on a track can cause a turned ankle just like running on a field can. Doing plyometrics can blow out an ACL just like jumping on a field can.

These guys aren't going full contact. There are no pads. It's a light workout.

I have a degree in physical education. I am a high school strength and conditioning coach and a football coach. What are your credentials?

i have no credentials, but i do have a little business sense. if you think it's smart to risk your entire career when you haven't been paid a cent (or less than $100k) and be left with nothing than go ahead and workout. as i posted above, Cam Newton agrees with me and will not be working out until he secures his insurance which is a no brainer for any high pick. for the low round picks and practice squad players that aren't guaranteed a roster spot, this insurance will even be more important.

it makes sense. congrats on your great credentials, but in my opinion you are wrong to send any NFL player out there with no coverage just b/c you say there is no greater risk (which i also disagree with), but like i said it's just my humble opinion. i have read yours and understand it so i'm not trying to change what you think AND i don't want to turn this into the "Hey Mike, you're losing me man." thread. if i'm so wrong to want these guys to be covered for any unfortunate circumstance than shoot me :)

i have no credentials, but i do have a little business sense. if you think it's smart to risk your entire career when you haven't been paid a cent (or less than $100k) and be left with nothing than go ahead and workout. as i posted above, Cam Newton agrees with me and will not be working out until he secures his insurance which is a no brainer for any high pick. for the low round picks and practice squad players that aren't guaranteed a roster spot, this insurance will even be more important.

it makes sense. congrats on your great credentials, but in my opinion you are wrong to send any NFL player out there with no coverage just b/c you say there is no greater risk (which i also disagree with), but like i said it's just my humble opinion. i have read yours and understand it so i'm not trying to change what you think AND i don't want to turn this into the "Hey Mike, you're losing me man." thread. if i'm so wrong to want these guys to be covered for any unfortunate circumstance than shoot me :)

You're not wrong to want them to be covered and not risk their careers.

You're unrealistic in thinking that they can't do the same in their private workouts than with their teams. But hey, to each their own.

You're not wrong to want them to be covered and not risk their careers.

You're unrealistic in thinking that they can't do the same in their private workouts than with their teams. But hey, to each their own.

yea i know it sounds stupid of me to think that, but my thinking is each year i don't hear about any players getting hurt in private workouts during the offseason. however, when the team drills start they start dropping like flies. one thing i haven't considered is that the agents for these young guys probably have something in place b/c i doubt 10 of our rookies would show up unless they had some coverage.

yea i know it sounds stupid of me to think that, but my thinking is each year i don't hear about any players getting hurt in private workouts during the offseason. however, when the team drills start they start dropping like flies. one thing i haven't considered is that the agents for these young guys probably have something in place b/c i doubt 10 of our rookies would show up unless they had some coverage.

Keep in mind, in the team drills that they drop it's generally a direct correlation to contact... Unless it's a hammy or something of that nature. In which case, it could have happened under any circumstance. I wouldn't even say it sounds stupid on your part. It sounds overly cautious. And I'd agree it's tough to blame the players for worrying about it. But I think it's just an overblown thing to worry about it.

I'm reading a book called "The Science of Fear" right now... It's a great read. But it talks about two different systems, head and gut. Gut feels what it feels based on experiences. The more traumatic the experience, and the closer in proximity something happened to the current time the more of a risk it becomes. That may not take into account how the injury happened... Just that it did.

Head can step in and say "wait, that's not true" but head has to have some kind of knowledge in doing that.

It's a fascinating read. I think you'd enjoy it. Puts a lot of things into perspective :)

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/122245/4/NFL-Rookies-and-Free-Agents-Learn-Life-Lessons

First part has some information that ties in directly with some of the recent subject matter in this thread.

That article sums up my thoughts. It's not irrational to be worried about injury in a team workout. It's overly cautious but never irrational. However, as I said, the same can happen anywhere.

But the article is on the money in saying that if it gets carried away bad things can happen. I would think they wouldn't get too carried away. The atmosphere seems fairly laid back at these workouts. But who knows, anything can happen, I guess. :)

Keep in mind, in the team drills that they drop it's generally a direct correlation to contact... Unless it's a hammy or something of that nature. In which case, it could have happened under any circumstance. I wouldn't even say it sounds stupid on your part. It sounds overly cautious. And I'd agree it's tough to blame the players for worrying about it. But I think it's just an overblown thing to worry about it.

I'm reading a book called "The Science of Fear" right now... It's a great read. But it talks about two different systems, head and gut. Gut feels what it feels based on experiences. The more traumatic the experience, and the closer in proximity something happened to the current time the more of a risk it becomes. That may not take into account how the injury happened... Just that it did.

Head can step in and say "wait, that's not true" but head has to have some kind of knowledge in doing that.

It's a fascinating read. I think you'd enjoy it. Puts a lot of things into perspective :)

oh no you didn't, recommending books to people? geez, where is westy at when you need him? ;)

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/122245/4/NFL-Rookies-and-Free-Agents-Learn-Life-Lessons

First part has some information that ties in directly with some of the recent subject matter in this thread.

cool article. it does shed some light on the issues facing the players that aren't so established in the league.

that sounds like an interesting read. i may have to check that out.

Archived