Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Henson > Rocky McIntosh?

Hailskins94

Does anyone else see Robert Henson taking over for Rocky this year? We've all heard the rumors about how they plan on releasing Rocky so obviously they must feel confident in someone on the roster.

I gotta believe that person is Robert Henson. I thought he had a tremendous preseason last year and was going to make the roster until he sprained his knee. Haslett and Shannahan must really like him in order to IR him and not release him.

I think Henson has some real potential, and many people I talk to seem to have forgotten about him.

Honeslty, I don't see what you do in Henson, but perhaps he makes some noise in the preseason. It will be interesting to see how the LB situation shakes out come September. One casualty I hope is not Rob Jackson. He is talented and needs to play more IMO. Rocky and Blades seem like candidates to depart. Fletch to me looked like he lost a step or two last season.

Wilson, Riley, Jackson, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Alexander, White, Henson, Fletcher seems like a solid unit to choose from.

Rocky is a free agent right now, so it's not a matter of releasing him. I know he skipped all the voluntary workouts last year in an effort to try and force a multi-year deal and that didn't play out. Most everyone expect him to move on at this point and sign elsewhere.

I think at this moment Blades is probably the top guy to take his spot but that can all change before the season obviously.

Fletch to me looked like he lost a step or two last season.

I don't know, he looked pretty good to me. Considering it was the first year of a 3-4 for this team and who he had playing in front of him on the line didn't do him any favors for the most part. His tackles were up to par with previous years and he actually had more sacks and forced fumbles than previous years as a Redskin. If they could get some more talent in front of him he can play another 2-3 years without losing much I think.

Henson last postseason was playing like a beast. He was all over the field and he was fast. I think the type of guy to play with a chip on his shoulder. Henson has huge potential. Rocky for me has had a chance to prove himself and it is now time to give the next guy in line a chance.

Basically any LB we have signed to the roster now is better than McIntosh in the 3-4 defense. Rocky just doesn't fit in the 3-4 and needs to play in a 4-3 defense.

As for Fletcher, I didn't notice any drop off in his play, he seems to be playing at an All-Pro level despite being 35 and about to turn 36.

Rocky has been progressively getting worse. His tackling was really sucking in some games last year. Just look at the Detroit game. He got handled the whole game. I think that they have an idea, and back up ideas. I see them trying Lorenzo Alexander at ILB. I also think Henson and Riley will pass Blades on the depth chart. Blades will remain a teams player his whole career. Henson and Riley will be substantial.

Riley and Henson will be contending for a starting spot, but the thing people forget is that Rocky was playing hurt for most of last season. He is still a good linebacker, just not a very good fit for the 3-4.

Kerrigan-Riley-Fletcher-Orakpo

I think they're penciling Perry Riley in as the other starter at ILB, but I wouldn't be surprised if Henson were genuinely in the mix. I'm sure they'll be allowing for competition at that spot, and from what I've heard, they'll be trying Lorenzo at ILB which may prove to be a good fit, considering A) He doesn't have to cover the flats and B) He's excellent in run support.

Kerrigan-Riley-Fletcher-Orakpo

That's most likely the starters baring injury. Henson would have been released last year if not for getting injured and being put on IR. They would have gone with Fletch, Rocky, Blades, & Riley. Henson will be on the bubble to make the team depending on who they bring in during FA (if there is one) even with Rocky gone.

I think the team is hoping Henson/Riley is our inside linebacker corps of the future once we lose London.

I'd say we should have a good little battle on our hands between those two guys.

Rocky will do very well in a 4-3 in the league. He doesn't fit our D, though.

I'm still nervous about Kerrigan or Rak in coverage (I don't care what anyone says, both are going to be in coverage at some point... It'll be a problem) and I'm also a bit concerned in space... But our pass rush is going to be great from the outside.

The four of them, combined, are extremely young and talented. I think we may even have our LBs set for awhile... We just need depth. Blades is an okay fill in. Jackson could be. Alexander could be.

I like were we're at, at IL with the young guys Blades (if he gets re-signed), Henson, Riley and the old head of Fletch who's still good for a year or two.

I'd say thanks for the efforts Rocky, but go find yourself a better fit elsewhere.

We could still do with another outside backer for depth though.

Hail.

Rocky is a hell of a player, playing out of position, and Henson had one great PRE-season game. That's all.

But that's how most Extremeskinners pick their next Pro Bowl Superstar! All it takes is a good outing against inferior players who would never make ANY NFL roster; and they are instantly the next Redskin superstar. Don't you remember Colt? He became our new franchise QB.....Oh....wait.....nevermind....:D

IMO, Shanahan will scout free agency for an inside linebacker. Riley could be that guy but he was only so-so during his opportunities last year; admittedly limited opportunities. I also think Alexander could get a chance inside; the guy has done pretty well at every single position they have thrown at him. He just keeps getting replaced by better players.

Basically any LB we have signed to the roster now is better than McIntosh in the 3-4 defense. Rocky just doesn't fit in the 3-4 and needs to play in a 4-3 defense.

As for Fletcher, I didn't notice any drop off in his play, he seems to be playing at an All-Pro level despite being 35 and about to turn 36.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement. If Rocky wasn't the best option we had at ILB he wouldn't have been starting. The coaching staff had no ties to him and were actually pretty sour about him not attending voluntary work outs. If there was anyone that could give us equal production they would have been in there.

Henson may become something but I haven't seen it. I've seen him produce in preseason against guys that aren't on NFL rosters when the season starts. That doesn't impress me. I'm not high on Riley either. If he couldn't even make our game day roster for the majority of the season I don't see how anyone could think he is penciled in as a starter. At this point being active and playing ST would be a huge improvement.

I'd personally like to see Alexander in there. I never thought he had any business playing OLB but ILB makes sense to me. His coverage is lacking but he could be a thumper in the run game and maybe even get some pressure up the middle. Another year to continue reworking his body should help a ton regardless of where he ends up among the LB.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a middle tier FA to start at ILB next to Fletcher. I'm not aware of anyone that is available that would fit the bill but I haven't seen anything to make me believe Haslett/Shanahan has faith in anyone currently on our roster.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a middle tier FA to start at ILB next to Fletcher. I'm not aware of anyone that is available that would fit the bill but I haven't seen anything to make me believe Haslett/Shanahan has faith in anyone currently on our roster.

Maybe Ruud from TB or Tulloch in TEN??

I would like to see us let Blades and Rocky walk and develop our young linebackers...i also like the one man gang getting a shot to start.

:logo:

Those of you saying Henson has played one good preseason game compared to Rocky's career so far are crazy. Anytime Henson was on the field for both his years of preseason the guy has made plays. Perhaps those of you saying that are the same people who turn preseason games off after the first quarter. Who knows? Even in his rookie year the guy made plays playing special teams all year.

The guy is a gamer and I think he has a good shot at getting that starting spot this year. Henson vs. Riley will be a good position battle to watch all preseason. But whoever wins I still think the other will still get PT. Henson is a GREAT blitzing LB, he has great timing and closing speed on the QB, and he finishes. While Riley is very smooth out in space and has showed good coverage skills. We have a good young ILB corps going right now imo.

Rocky is a hell of a player, playing out of position, and Henson had one great PRE-season game. That's all.

To be fair, Henson looked better in that 1 preseason game than Rocky ever has in a 3-4. He was a complete madman, so much so that he injured himself lol....It was quite impressive.

That being said, I'm all for an open competition between Riley, Alexander, and Henson for the spot. Always though Lorenzo would do better at ILB or DE in this D.

Maybe Ruud from TB or Tulloch in TEN??

I would like to see us let Blades and Rocky walk and develop our young linebackers...i also like the one man gang getting a shot to start.

:logo:

From a quick look at their stats they both look like fine options. Tulloch is the younger of the two but maybe Allen goes after Ruud since he drafted him.

Archived