Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Name All Qb's Who Have Been in the Same System 3+ Years....

Chiefinonhaze

As I've posted before, Rex was the only significant change in personnel in the Bears offense in 2006 and they had the second greatest improvement in the NFL behind the Saints in terms of yardage. Cutler arguably did worse in Turner's system than Grossman did. He threw more INTs than Rex did there.

In DC, Rex hardly had a lot of talent behind him with a team that was eliminated from the playoffs during ALL of his starts in this system. The Skins only had one WR in Moss who was even drafted catching passes from Rex. Plus their RB situation was nothing for teams to plan for either.

In Chicago, he also wasn't given the option very often of using the shotgun given personnel issues on that team - mainly the center didn't like it. Not to mention that he was as injury prone as any QB in the league during that period.

I didn't see anyone fully answer this question, so I thought I would actually list it. I've broken it down into certain groups. I think the groups are pretty self-explanatory. The year in parentheses are how long the player/coach have been on the team together.

On-field Coordinators (they are the system)

Peyton Manning - Peyton Manning

Tom Brady - Tom Brady

Head Coach Coordinators

Drew Brees - Sean Payton (2006)

Aaron Rodgers - Mike McCarthy (2006)

Tony Romo sits to pee - Jason Garrett (2007)

Phillip Rivers - Norv Turner (2007)

Kevin Kolb - Andy Reid (2007)

Tavaris Jackson - Brad Childress (2006-2010)

Offensive Coordinators

Carson Palmer - Bob Bratkowski (2001-2010)

David Garrard - Dirk Koeter (2007)

Eli Manning - Kevin Gilbride (2007)

Ben Roethlisberger - Bruce Arians (2007)

Matt Moore - Jeff Davidson (2007-2010)

Joe Flacco - Cam Cameron (2008)

Matt Ryan - Mike Mularkey (2008)

Chad Henne - Dan Henning (2008-2010)

And for a man that's alleged to be so proficient in Kyle Shanahan's system, his record of 1 win and 4 loses, with 7 TD's, 5 INT's, and 5 fumbles with 4 lost, would suggest otherwise and more of the same. If he has the system SO well down after 2 years surely he'd have better ball placement and protection than that?

QBs can only have a win or a loss if they start the game. Rex did not start 5 games for us last year. He started 3. More of the same? His 3 starts over a 16 game season would be over 4200 yards.

QBs can only have a win or a loss if they start the game. Rex did not start 5 games for us last year. He started 3. More of the same? His 3 starts over a 16 game season would be over 4200 yards.

I never said he started 5 games for us last year. I said, as you quoted, his win/loss record in games in Kyle's system is 1-4. Care to extrapolate his INT's and fumbles through the same period? There in lies the key, and is indeed more of the same.

Hail.

I'd like to sign up with those who believe Tavaris Jackson was not a very good QB - He may have been physically talented perhaps, but he never developed that into the skill set needed by an effective NFL QB. He seemed like someone who benefited from a excellent supporting cast -- but would not be the 'winning edge' for his team. I wasn't surprised about the Vikes going with the often-retired Favre.

12 of them

He's not terrible.

~Bang

I always thought Tarvaris got way more hate than he deserved. He's not a great QB, but with the team they had Chilly should've been able to cater to Tarvaris' strengths better and make that team into more of a contender.

Although apparently T-Jacks did insist on playing with a big chain/medallion under his pads and uni haha

I get your point, but i'll be devils advocate and post QB's that debunk your theory;

Carson Palmer

Jason Campbell (with us)

David Garrard

Alex Smith

I can't believe you would put Campbell's name in there with the Skins. He was never under the same system here in DC. Neither has Alex Smith, I don't think he has even had 2 years under the same system in San Fran. Carson Palmer and Garrard are the only two out of these guys that would apply. I would through McNabb in there during his run in Philly. Cutler before Shanahan leaving and then being shipped off to Chicago, I believe he was with Shanahan for 3 years, right? Anyway, my point of this post was the fact you put Campbell on your list.

My main point is, having an average QB who has mastery of your system, is better than having a very talented QB in his first year in a system.

That seems to be the very narrow sighted view most fans have. The answer is, no, it isn't. Because 2 years down the road you still have an average QB. Meanwhile, two years later another team has a talented QB excelling over yours. Yes, if we want to be short sighted and not have a shot at winning, then that seems alright. But why would you settle for an average QB? Winning teams are able to do better than that, why shouldn't we?

As I've posted before, Rex was the only significant change in personnel in the Bears offense in 2006 and they had the second greatest improvement in the NFL behind the Saints in terms of yardage. Cutler arguably did worse in Turner's system than Grossman did. He threw more INTs than Rex did there.

--The bears may have increased their yardage, but it is not like the bears team was bad the year before. They won the NFC north and got a bye in the playoffs, with rookie Kyle Orton at qb (who struggled), granted the next year the team made the superbowl, but the actual team improvement was not that great overall.

Last time T-Jack was the Vikes starter, they went 10-6.

He's not all that terrible.

~Bang

Couple quick points

1. Tarvaris was pretty bad. I lived up there during most of his years, I believe it was the '07 season where the Vikes were in playoff contention, and in games against us and the bears he threw some of the worst passes ever. (Though riding AP they won the bears game; Tjax went 9 for 23 in that game)

---Next week against the us, Tarvaris was horrible. The skins actually used a 5-4 front during the game, just asking him to throw the ball. He couldnt make any kind of throw, I was at the game. Smoot had a nice Int. Tjax averaged 159 yards in the air...Bad..

--Vikings choked in the final game as well, finishing 8-8 and missing the playoffs (we made the playoffs)

2. If you were referring to the 2008 season, where the vikings finished 10-6 (overall 10-7), it wouldnt really be fair to call Tarvaris the starter for that record. It is actually very misleading

--->Tjax started weeks 1 and 2-->Vikings Record: 0-2

--->Weeks 3-13 Gus was the starter -->7-3

--->Week 14 Gus got hurt, Tarvaris came in and beat the winless lions: 1-2

--->Rest of regular season, Tarvaris beat the Cards, lost to the Falcons, beat the Giants: 3-3

Home Playoff Game: Tarvaris: 15/35 for 164 and a pick: Loss: 3-4.

To other people:

Tom Brady has played in many more systems that people are listing. Most of his OC's go on to be head coaches elsewhere at some point

~Bang

Touche, I agree he's not terrible. Still don't think he's even an average QB, he's just not the worst.

What year did Tjax start 12 games and the vikings went 10-6??? This year does not exist.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 10:58 PM ----------

~Bang

12 of them

He's not terrible.

~Bang

??????/

Archived