Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Davis Possible trade?

Mania

Depth at a less valuable position is just depth for the sake of depth. What good is two starting TEs when we need a starting QB, CB, C, G, OT, NT, and ILB?

Because it can still be a valuable weapon. Though we don't often use 2 TE sets, they are good when used. Also, when Cooley went down a couple years ago, it was nice to have someone that could play football behind him, rather than a "OMG what's going to happen now" kind of moment.

If Cooley went down without Davis, we'd have lost about a 3rd of our passing offense last season.

Now, having said that, I'm not saying don't look at EVERY option, but I doubt Shanahan IS considering trading Davis. I would love to have a good young Center, but unless that comes through the UDFA process, I doubt there is one we can get, even in trading.

like I said a long time ago "trade Cooley" keep Davis. there are plenty of good TE's in the league.

If Cooley is soooooo amazing then why wouldn't a team give up a 1st round pick? no team would:)

I'f we can get a player or pick for him I'm down. even use him as bait with other player as well like Carter or something LOL

Im not a Cooley fan. he can catch and is a slightly good player but I'd rather have a more athletic TE like Davis starting.

there are soooooo many good TE in the league and if Cooley is a pro bowler then I would be trading him

Unless we got a 1st I just don't think we get value by trading away Cooley. I view him in the same way I view this draft....its as much a message as it is production.

lol a 1st rounder for Cooley? The Chiefs didn't even get a 1st for Tony Gonzalez. If you can get a 2nd for Cooley you do it, but we won't get a 2nd for him so it's a moot point. He and Fred Davis are a great tandem, would like to see both of them on the field a lot more together, especially with the holes in our receiving core and all the uncertainty.

It's honestly a problem I wish we didn't have at this point because I'm a big fan of both players. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think Davis ceiling is higher than Cooley's and if you're going on the idea of simply trading one because we don't need both it would make the most sense to me to trade Cooley because we would get more back for him and Davis may ultimately be the more talented player. And yes, I'm saying that despite acknowledging that Cooley has done nothing but put up comparable numbers to the best players in the league at his position every year (with the exception of Gates' TD production).

I'm not arguing that we should get rid of either player but my argument for Davis is based on this. Cooley is an outstanding player and a hard-worker. But he is a possession receiver and an average blocker. Don't take my opinion of him as a possession receiver negatively - I simply mean he is great at getting open and moving the chains but is not an explosive player or one that is going to out-jump a defender for the ball, he uses his body to shield off defenders and is pretty solid after the catch due to decent strength. I believe Davis possesses all of these same skills in terms of being a blocker but also in that he can use his size to shield off defenders and has pretty good strength. BUT, I think he has the ability to be a more explosive player than Cooley in that he has much more of a "wide receiver" feel to his receiving game in addition to bringing much of what Cooley does to the table. He's more athletic and I think is a guy that can go up and compete for a ball down the field with a defender. I think he is able to make defenders miss or break tackles in more ways than Cooley. Plain and simple I think he is more capable of making the "outstanding" play than Cooley while also bringing many of the same things to the table.

I would like to finish by saying I am not proposing we let go of either player, it just sucks because this is one position where we have a surplus of talent but are unable to get the most out of it (as opposed to have two starting stud receivers). Davis knows he is capable of more and wants to prove that full time like he did when Cooley went down. I think if he goes to a good situation we may end up regretting letting him go when he becomes a Pro-Bowl player but that is my opinion.

This is Vinny's fault.

Two tight ends is a luxury, no denying that. But Losing Chris Cooley for a 4th would be like a slap in the face. Maybe the longest tenured redskin on the roster, face of the franchise, maybe not. Cooley is constantly a pro bowler/ reserve when healthy. Freddy has shown flashes of greatness but he is yet to play out Chris Cooley for his starting job. I just don't understand we couldn't a run an offense around the both of them. A 2TE set would provide more blocking for the run game, they would most likely having a LB covering them, and make our WR core not look so horrible with the 2 best guys out there. GroundNPound giving the D time to rest. Freddy D will walk , and that is definetly letting a superstar go, so if we can get something for him, we have to do it.

Hail

I think it's important that Cooley retires a Redskin. I just can't picture him anywhere else unless it's late late career and he's hopping around refusing to retire or something. Cooley's a Redskin. Think of how many times the offensive system has changed, and he's never a problem. Defense is all screwed up, Campbell had to change every year, McNabb tried to change a decade of gaming for a new system...Cooley never had a problem. You can expect him to be productive on a high level each and every year. He obviously likes it here, he's a public figure, a funny guy..he's a Redskin, so I'd like to try to shoot down any talk or possibility of trading him.

I get the idea that we have a younger, up and coming guy, and it makes sense for him to step in the shoes, but there's plenty of room on a football team for 2 high talent tight ends. The fact that we have a potential starting tight end as a backup would do nothing but hurt Cooley's trade value anyway i'd imagine. It certainly doesn't help, and it's not like we'd get something amazing and helpful for Cooley anyway.

As for Freddy, he really shouldn't say anything too high and mighty about wanting to be a starter. He's had plenty of big impact plays, and not just that time he was in for Cooley's broken ankle. Yea, he could be a starter, but he should know he is very helpful, and very productive on this team. If he wants to be a diva about it, he should also know that Shanny won't put up with it, and he's runnin himself outta town. In that case, I don't think we'd be looking at any trade for him, he would just be outta town 'ala Devin Thomas.

But I think there's pretty high morale and all at Redskins park right now, and I think guys are actually proud to be Redskins again. Things are looking up (cuz they can only go up) and I think Fred stays.

Oh, and with all that said, I'd like to see Logan Paulsen catch more TDs. That was just cool

I would have liked to have traded Davis for CB Chris Houston when he was with Atlanta.

Denver needs TE badly

Atlanta might still be interested

You guys calling Cooley overrated are nuts :) You're entitiled to your opinion, but I don't think you would find one person on all 32 teams that would agree with you.

33 TD's in 7 seasons and almost 5,000 yards with our absolute sh** offense is pretty good in my book.

2 TE sets couldn't be used much with a rookie LT and a hip injured Jammal Brown at RT, not even mentioning the times when Heyer had to play. Also, the interior line was making mistakes in pass pro as well, so having an extra back in to block was needed...especially early in the season.

The line looked better later on in the year, and when Rabach got hurt....so there's still hope.

One thing I will agree with, is that having both isn't helping this team as it stands. Paulsen is more than fine as a 2nd TE, considering we don't have the passpro to get 2 TEs on the field much anyways. Just my take from watching last season.

One last thought...the "good" teams in the NFL would trade Cooley at this point. I have nothing but love for him, but he's showed signs of slowing down last year, and as an earlier poster said....Fred Davis is much more athletic. I really don't want to trade either one, would rather get a decent enough OL to be able to run 2 TE sets and get enough time for a 5 step drop.

To be honest, I'd love to see Cooley back in his Hback role ala Gibbs. Sellers is getting older, and some snaps at FB would give Cooley some good matchups while getting Davis on the field to stretch the seams. Ah well...don't really see that happening. Kyle really loves his 3 wr sets after all.

I like Davis' skillset. But if they can't find a way to get both on the field more at the same time. Then you at least listen to offers. He's a cali guy. Maybe the Raiders would like to offer a 2012 pick. A 2nd that could turn into a 1st if he hits a bunch of different goals. Yards/Catches/TDs

I'm not sure. This is a really debatable thread. They are both good players and I would like them both to be here, but IMO if the trade deadline is closing in, and we arent looking at a possible run to the playoffs (as probably a squeaking in wildcard..) then I would say trade cooley. They both are just average blockers, and Davis has a lot more good football in him while Cooley is at his ceiling right now. We can probably get a good return for Cooley, continue the youth movement, and still not need to draft a TE in a round higher than 4 for awhile if Davis gets resigned

You won't net very much in a trade for Davis, that's for sure.

I would re-sign him and have two TE's. Never really a bad thing. Just ask the Patriots how to Utilize 2 good TE's at the same time, and we'll go from there.

YOU would re-sign him but would HE re-sign here?

I think we both know the answer.

I don't see this happening. He's probably a Redskin lifer as I hope Cooley will be. He hasn't outperformed his contract so he cannot demand a large number. If he leaves next offseason then we'll still be ok, but why trade away a player that makes a 2 TE set something to fear?

The two TE set is something to fear? Since when?

I don't understand some of you. Why trade away either part of one of the best and deepest positions we actually have? We just had a draft were we turned eight picks into thirteen (then 12, I know) without trading a single player. There is no need whatsoever for us to trade either of them. Trading Big Al, there is a definite need for that. McNabb, sure. Not Cooley or Davis though.

We talk about how this team has no depth and at the one position we have depth, we want to trade it away. Having 2 good TEs is not like having 2 good QBs. You can get both Cooley and Davis on the field and create mismatches. But you guys are right, I'd much rather have a 4th or 5th rounder than Davis or Cooley :doh:

We talk about how this team has no depth and at the one position we have depth, we want to trade it away. Having 2 good TEs is not like having 2 good QBs. You can get both Cooley and Davis on the field and create mismatches. But you guys are right, I'd much rather have a 4th or 5th rounder than Davis or Cooley :doh:

I don't think you understand where we're coming from.

It's not that we WANT to trade Davis/Cooley but we recognize that a decision will have to be made after this season.

Davis or Cooley.....

It's not that we WANT to trade Davis/Cooley but we recognize that a decision will have to be made after this season.

Davis or Cooley.....

That decision does NOT have to be made. We have the ability and means to keep both of them if WE want. Davis may not WANT to be here when his contract is up, but WE do not HAVE to decide between them.

Davis or Cooley.....

Why can't you keep them both? Cooley is under contract until 2013 I believe. So the decision is to you bring back Davis or trade him now? Again, why trade him now? I don't see a huge market for TEs and its not like Davis has set the world on fire. Yes he was solid in 2009 when Cooley went down, but I don't see teams flocking to us wanting a trade. Why not keep him and utilize both he and Cooley? I don't think there's some ultimatium where we only have to keep one or the other.

I think it's important that Cooley retires a Redskin. I just can't picture him anywhere else unless it's late late career and he's hopping around refusing to retire or something. Cooley's a Redskin. Think of how many times the offensive system has changed, and he's never a problem. Defense is all screwed up, Campbell had to change every year, McNabb tried to change a decade of gaming for a new system...Cooley never had a problem. You can expect him to be productive on a high level each and every year. He obviously likes it here, he's a public figure, a funny guy..he's a Redskin, so I'd like to try to shoot down any talk or possibility of trading him.

Is it better for the team or is it better for Cooley that he retires a Redskin? I would think this benefits Cooley only. If he plays his entire career here then that means we're paying for a couple of seasons at the end that are not as productive.

Cooley is one of my favorites and I would have to buy my wife a new jersey if he was traded but it is a business and it should be run that way.

Part of the problem with this situation is that Vinny drafted Cooley's replacement a couple of years too soon. We had so many other holes to fill that Davis should never have been drafted.

Reality is that a 2nd TE is more of a blocker, we have two quality pass catching TE's, so one needs to go.

Cooley would get more interest and higher trade value. I would keep Davis since he is a better threat anyway.

Shanny loves Cooley so I doubt it happens, but it should. If it doesn't we'll likely lose Davis after this year .

Reality is that a 2nd TE is more of a blocker, we have two quality pass catching TE's so one needs to go.

Cooley would get more interest and higher trade value. I would keep Davis since he is better threat anyway.

Shanny loves Cooley so doubt it happens, but it should. If it doesn't we likely lose Davis after this year .

What makes Davis the better threat? What he shown at this level to prove he is better than Cooley?

Davis or Cooley.....

If we are going to trade him, we would have to do it before the trade deadline and most likely before the season starts, because after the season is when his contract runs out and becomes a free agent. However, you are correct that a decision has to be made. The decision is whether we should trade Cooley, Davis or try to keep both of them.

Archived