Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Davis Possible trade?

Mania

I searched and couldn't find a thread on this already. All of this is contingent on a new collective bargaining agreement being signed.

I believe Fred Davis is in the last year of his contract and believe we would consider trading him as I seriously doubt that Bruce Allen would pay to have two high contracts for tight ends on the roster.

First, do you believe this is an option and if so, what do you think we could get for him. He did fill in admirably when Cooley went down in 2009 and scored 6 touchdowns in the short time he was starting.

Second, do you think we should trade Cooley or Davis or neither.

Third, I believe Cooley has a lot of good years left. That being said he was drafted in 2004 and coming into his 8th season. Do you believe that the front office would entertain the idea of keeping Davis and trading Cooley and if so, what do you think Cooley could get in trade value.

Thank you for your response and again, please merge if there is a recent thread on this already.

I don't see this happening. He's probably a Redskin lifer as I hope Cooley will be. He hasn't outperformed his contract so he cannot demand a large number. If he leaves next offseason then we'll still be ok, but why trade away a player that makes a 2 TE set something to fear?

I don't see this happening. He's probably a Redskin lifer as I hope Cooley will be. He hasn't outperformed his contract so he cannot demand a large number. If he leaves next offseason then we'll still be ok, but why trade away a player that makes a 2 TE set something to fear?

He's definitely not a Redskin lifer.

He has already said that he views himself as a starter.

This is his last season in the Burgundy and Gold.

Cooley is probably my favorite Redskin... but we probably should have traded him last year. Niether are great blockers, but Davis is a more gifted athlete and has a bigger ceiling as a receiving tight end. At this point it kind of makes sense to keep both... but this time last year I was calling for a Cooley trade.

Good lord, trade Cooley now trade Fred Davis.... Geeze as soon anyone shows some promise it's time to ship em out. This ain't madden and it ain't baseball either.

Thankfully this isn't baseball or I would have fallen asleep 6 innings ago :ols:

You have to consider moving him or Cooley at some point. He'll probably be looking for a starting spot or bigger money next offseason & at that point we'll have to decide whether or not Cooley has 3-4 good years left or will we have to commit to Fred. The problem is if we decide to commit to Cooley and let Fred go, then we get nothing for him. I would look into moving him for a young vet but would base my final decision on what type of players we're offered in return.

IMO trading Cooley is a Must (i hate to ****ing say it) hes a great player and i've loved having him here would Love to keep him here.. but its a business.. the TE game is changing.. get picks for Cooley while you can.. draft a TE like Gresham or Graham..

Cooley and Sellers should have both been traded after their Probowl seasons if you wanted to maximize return on veteren or older players. Their value isn't what it was, but if we could add draft picks for next season and bring some youth to the table, Id be all for it. Its better then getting nothing for them if they retire or leave via FA.

Money isn't an issue. Feds next contract should be performance incentive laden. Bruce is doing contracts now. Players can get paid, but they have to perform yo get it. Performance is what the FA market demands so why would he exit?

Because he wouldn't be leaving for money...he'd be leaving for a shot at a starting job, which would then earn him money. Its pretty obvious that Davis won't be back here if Cooley's here.

Let me mention that on previous teams, Shanahan has liked to have two tight ends, but one who is more of a blocker and one who is a receiving TE. We really haven't utilized the 2 tight end set as much as we probably should have with the lack of talent that this team has. However, with the emphasis on rebuilding through the draft (thank god), I'm in favor of trading Davis for a mid round pick.

In regards to trading Cooley last year. That would have been ridiculous. First, he is one of the best players that we have and was coming off an injury in 2009 and wouldn't have commanded as much. Last season although he didn't score many touchdowns, he did have a lot of catches and a decent amount of yards. He's also one of the best at YAC for TE in the leauge.

As our offensive line improves he will be used as less of a blocker and more of a receiving tight end also, so I'm much more in favor of keeping Cooley and trading Davis as I'd like to get something for him.

Davis is definitely not a Redskins Lifer as previously posted.

IMO trading Cooley is a Must (i hate to ****ing say it) hes a great player and i've loved having him here would Love to keep him here.. but its a business.. the TE game is changing.. get picks for Cooley while you can.. draft a TE like Gresham or Graham..

It is a business and we should have this approach for all of our players once they are just past their prime. Nobody likes to see their favorite players traded away but I would rather see my favorite team winning super bowls.

Archived