• Under 40 - Lucy Pinder
    • Under 40 - Joanna Krupa
    • Over 40 - Kylie Minogue
    • Over 40 - Faith Hill
    • Olympic - Anni Friesinger
    • Olympic - Tanith Belbin
    • Reality Star - Cheryl Cole
    • Reality Star - Analeigh Tipton

9/11/01: Taking a hotel shuttle back to the Johannesburg airport after we'd missed our flight the day before from J-burg to NY. I very distinctly remember sitting in the back of the shuttle next to my dad and brother when one of my brother's teammates (who was catching a later flight out of South Africa) came running out of the hotel and onto the shuttle telling us America was under attack and it looks like "Independence Day" on the BBC news.

We went on to the airport where everyone was milling around watching CNN and I just burst into tears while my brother hugged me and my dad immediately got into the British Airways line to try to get us all plane tickets into a NATO country immediately. His efforts proved fruitless: France kicked us all off an Air France flight saying they we not allowing any more Americans into Paris...thanks ****ers. We were stuck in Africa for 3 more days, then had to fly around the world to get back home. It was a nightmare from hell. In the meantime, my brother's wife went into premature labor with their daughter (and gave birth) and my grandma had a stroke she was so worried about us (although we assured everyone at home we were fine).

I have a picture of the video of the 2nd plane flying into the WTC on a TV in the Johannesburg airport. It gives me chills everytime I look through that photo album.

5/1/2011: Spent the day sleeping in, cleaning the house, and playing a mixed doubles tennis match. When I heard about the news, I was at home eating dinner and watching TV with my husband. Ended up staying up most of the night watching new details unfold on the news (it's been a rough week of me staying up all night watching historic events). Much more typical day in my life than on 9/11/01.

Heres a better question. Why does it bother you so much as to whether or not someone should've/could've been in church/bed or not, and do you realize that you're probably the only one that actually cares???

Dude, calm down. I'm not the only one that has questioned time frames here. Its just that some of it doesn't add up. Do you always have to start something?

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 12:20 AM ----------

9/11 I was watching in my 9th grade history class

Yesterday my sister sent me a text telling me to turn on the news while I was watching house hunters with my roomie

House Hunters rocks.

9/11/01 - In school in North Carolina, weightlifting class (if you've seen me, you know it was a fun class lol) got back to the locker room after to change and I think someone heard something in the hallway and let us all know...

Yesterday - I was at a bar after watching the caps lose, was going to have one more before I left, the bar had on FoxNews all night and I just caught it out of the corner of my eye, then looked at the bottom of the ESPN ticker and saw confirmation...

9/11 I was in Middle School, just getting out of gym and heading to another class(forget which one)when one of my friends came up and let us know what happened.

May 1 I was....watching Celebrity Apprentice. Which, in a way, is kind of ironic given the Obama/Trump situation. :ols:

I'm in Baghdad. Wake up, don't turn on the TV, go over to the chowhall with my boss. Walk in and there are literally 100s of American diplomats, military and contractors around a TV on a wall. Everyone is high fiving, a few USA! USA! USA! chants. I ask a guy in a suit and tie what happened and he says "BIN LADEN IS ****ING DEAD! WE GOT HIM!" I almost got teary eyed.

9/11/01: I was at Luther Jackson Middle School and heard the news via friends in the hallway. I had to wait about two hours to get confirmation that my father's office was not hit at the Pentagon.

Interesting story for those care to read. My father's old office was "ground zero" where the plane hit the Pentagon. He moved out of the office I believe in the Spring of '01 for renovation and when it was complete his office decided not to move back just because they didn't feel like moving their stuff again. Interesting how those things happen.

5/1/11: I was at home when I got a text from a girl that said, "Osama is dun-zo." Which then I turned on the news and watched.

9/11/01--I was at work in Upper Marlboro and got a phone call from a friend around 9am saying there was an "accident" at one of the towers. He then yelled, "oh ****! another one hit! I gotta go!" Then most of us left our office to go to the conference room where cable television was connected. We all watched in tears as the towers fell. Some of our retail customers lost employees that day.

May 1, 2011--I got home late from a tux fitting and somewhat of a massive party with my groomsmen. The Caps had just lost game 2 vs tampa Bay and I felt dejected. I was laying in bed with my fiance around 11pm when my phone started blowing up from text messages from friends saying bin Laden was dead. The messages kept coming well after midnight. I didn't get up to watch tv. I remember feeling a huge sense of relief in my mind. I slept like a baby that night. The next morning, my fiance and I watched the news for a looooong hour.

9/11 Sitting in my office when the guy that ran my shop came in and told me a plane had hit the WTC, I thought it had to be a prop job, then all hell broke loose. Listened to Howard Stern's coverage of it for most of the day. Sent everyone home when they said that they were tracking a plane in PA.

May 1. Sitting at my daughter's lacrosse game in the rain. Watched the press conference shortly after the Caps game was over

9/11 I was leaving leaving Spanish and on my way to AP Gov't class. ****ing Gov't teacher wouldn't let us watch the news.

Sunday I was working on my final presentation for my master's program when boysetsfire said he saw on twitter that Osama was dead.

I'm looking forward to the day I can say where I was when our troops finally left Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm in Baghdad. Wake up, don't turn on the TV, go over to the chowhall with my boss. Walk in and there are literally 100s of American diplomats, military and contractors around a TV on a wall. Everyone is high fiving, a few USA! USA! USA! chants. I ask a guy in a suit and tie what happened and he says "BIN LADEN IS ****ING DEAD! WE GOT HIM!" I almost got teary eyed.

Funny Story. I have a nephew who is deployed (USMC). His Birthday was on the 1st and I sent him a text message wishing him a Happy Birthday and asked him if he had any time and if he had any big plans. He texted me back and simply said, "Kick Ass and Take Names."

So, I heard this news and texted him the next day and told him that he wasn't kidding. He texted me back later and said, "I've been trying to tell you and my Dad that I'm a man of means and influence around here." He's a E-4. :ols:

I thought that was kinda funny.

9/11. I was at home on paternity leave. The first of our four children was born on August 28, and I was waking the dog while my wife was feeding the baby. We were on cloud 9, and as I came in from walking the dog, she called me over to the TV just in time to watch the second plane hit. It was a strange few weeks for us - super happy about our new baby, yet tempered by all the death and suffering. Then came the anthrax mailbox stuff, and as a new parent I was terrified. I wouldn't allow my wife to get the mail.

OBL. I was taking a nap.

09/11: Wilmington, NC. Waking up at 9-something in the am to go to my first class of the day. My alarm clock is set to a slightly fuzzy radio station (still is to this day BTW), and I hear the guy on the radio mention something about another tragedy in NYC. I go into the living room and turn on the tv and clips of the WTC are on every channel.

05/01: Washington, DC I was sitting around watching tv and saw that Obama had called for an important announcement from the White House on Sunday night. I started surfing online and saw that CBS's twitter was saying that Osama bin Laden had been killed by U.S. forces.

Funny Story. I have a nephew who is deployed (USMC). His Birthday was on the 1st and I sent him a text message wishing him a Happy Birthday and asked him if he had any time and if he had any big plans. He texted me back and simply said, "Kick Ass and Take Names."

So, I heard this news and texted him the next day and told him that he wasn't kidding. He texted me back later and said, "I've been trying to tell you and my Dad that I'm a man of means and influence around here." He's a E-4. :ols:

I thought that was kinda funny.

That's a cute story :)

I was in my first year of college and I had a girlfriend over because my parents left on a trip. So she slept over and we both woke up late; around 10am.

she asked if I could go and get something to eat from outside. I didn't turn on the tv or the car radio. I just hopped into my car and went to get some food.

I then noticed the traffic. I thought it was an accident on the road that was blocking the street. I later found out that the police were blocking the roads and I had to make a detour around the block. It took me 2hrs before I got home because of the traffic. I told my girlfriend that I couldn't get the food because of the traffic. Then she told me about the towers going down.

I was in shock, I even remember the my words, when she told me. "No Way"

So I didn't know until 12noon

9/11 - I had JUST finished Air Force Bootcamp, and I had arrived at my first duty station. I was actually inprocessing at Pope AFB when we took a 10 minute break. came out of the classroom and saw everybody standing around the TV. stood there and watched everything unfold...

then 10 minutes later, some dude I've never seem before shows up in the lobby like "are you Matt?" I was like "yeah." he proceeded to tell me that he's Airman such and such and our squadron is being recalled. so here i am taken to my duty squadron, meeting everybody for the first time, in a meeting where my Commander is telling everybody to be ready and pack their bags because we might be leaving for the middle east TONIGHT.

Now how's THAT for your first 2 days in the Air Force LOL. I actually saw 1 "normal" day in the US Military when I arrived at Pope Air Force Base on September 10th, 2001. the rest of my military career was in the "post 9/11 military," a totally different world. I did two tours in the desert and missed two thanksgivings and christmases due to that rat ****...

9/11 -- driving to work. every morning i would listen to NPR, but for some reason that morning i chose to listen to CDs. i noticed a huge plume of smoke rising from the general direction of the Pentagon. i turned on the radio to see if there was a car fire or something that could be jamming traffic....

5/01 -- raiding with my WoW guild, haha. finally got my set shoulders.

Archived