Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI writer predicts Chris Neild starting at NT by end of 2011...

wilbur58z

You're not alone there.

The size issue is definitely overstated. 6'2", 320 pounds is fine for a NT, you already mentioned Hampton as being about that size and I'd point to Aubrayo Franklin as another guy in that mold. For the record, though, Dockett is a DE and Ratliff plays in a system that has somewhat different requirements for its NT so he's not necessarily the best example to pull out.

I heard that about Ratliff, something about he's only responsibly for one gap. I wasn't sure how much size would factor in. I thought I could remember Dockett doggin Rabach the last time we played them, but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the knowledge man.

I heard that about Ratliff, something about he's only responsibly for one gap. I wasn't sure how much size would factor in. I thought I could remember Dockett doggin Rabach the last time we played them, but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for the knowledge man.

Dockett gets moved around a fair amount in that defense, so that wouldn't be too surprising. All of the 3-4 teams that have been coached by Wade Phillips (Chargers, Cowboys, and now Texans) have tended to play one-gap football almost exclusively.

You're not alone there.

I felt like he could have been snagged in the 6th or 7th round and perhaps gotten a better player. There is not much that stands out about this kid. I will say that Shanny's are more knowledgeable than me but wtf

Dockett gets moved around a fair amount in that defense, so that wouldn't be too surprising. All of the 3-4 teams that have been coached by Wade Phillips (Chargers, Cowboys, and now Texans) have tended to play one-gap football almost exclusively.

ok, so the two gap one gap thing, that basically applies to the 3 Dlineman right? either they're responsible for 2 gaps a piece and the linebackers run free, or they're responsible for 1 and the linebackers are responsible for 1.

After looking back on this 24 hours later I would have preferred Powe a round earlier, but the Chiefs got lucky with that one. I mean, he is a 7th rounder and a lot of things have to happen for a 7th rounder to make your roster, let alone be a starter in such a crucial position on a football team. It's a like a 7th rounder starting at LT.

Nice pick and it's always exciting to think about late round steals. I am, however, gonna stay cautiously optimistic about a few of these guys because a lot of good things have to fall into place for it to work out.

The first thing is, this effin lockout... it HAS to stop. We are killing our season if it goes much longer.

I wrote this last night about Chris Neild and I still think it will happen.

Mark it down!! Chris Neild will get alot of playing time for the Washington Redskins and will eventually START for the Washington Redskins.This guy has tremendous work ethic and will go into the game and do his job every game.Like another guy said he isn't flashy at all.He goes in there and just does his job and helping other players get open to make plays.He will be a 10 to 12 year starter in the NFL and im glad he is on our team.Forget about Albert b/c we just found our future DT imo.

After looking back on this 24 hours later I would have preferred Powe a round earlier, but the Chiefs got lucky with that one. I mean, he is a 7th rounder and a lot of things have to happen for a 7th rounder to make your roster, let alone be a starter in such a crucial position on a football team. It's a like a 7th rounder starting at LT.

Maake Kemo, will probably be gone....He blew last year, maybe he didnt fully recover last year.

On Powe: I read somewhere that he had several red flags, work ethic and on field intensity being 2 of them...

on field intensity issue just reminds me of Fat Albert sleeping on the group play

on a few videos i have seen on Neild: He doesnt stop, usually hes doubled.

This video is of Bruce Irvin, but you can see Neild in it #90

I'm happy with the Neild pick. He plays hard, and, based on some interviews with him that I saw during the season, he seems to be an intelligent kid.

He isn't going to come in and anchor the 2011 Redskins' D, but I think there is a solid chance that he makes the team. That's really all that you can ask of a late 7th rounder. Nice pick.

Maake Kemo, will probably be gone....He blew last year, maybe he didnt fully recover last year.

On Powe: I read somewhere that he had several red flags, work ethic and on field intensity being 2 of them...

on field intensity issue just reminds me of Fat Albert sleeping on the group play

on a few videos i have seen on Neild: He doesnt stop, usually hes doubled.

This video is of Bruce Irvin, but you can see Neild in it #90

If being a 6th round pick isn't motivation for him to get that deal his talent deserve when he does play hard I don't know what is. We will see though.

On Powe: I read somewhere that he had several red flags, work ethic and on field intensity being 2 of them.

Exactly. There are some things I really like about Powe, but he has a ton of off the field issues and character concerns. I am perfectly fine with passing on him.

You know what makes a good nose tackle is a person that is dedicated to performing the unspectacular. He needs to relish in his primary job of holding the point of attack and willingness to allow his teammate to make the plays around him. If he is doing his job he will be more loved by his mates then the media or fans. This is the type of guy we need playing NT!!!!

How does the defense look if he starts?

DE - Adam Carriker

DT - Chris Neild

DE - Jarvis Jenkins

LOLB - Brian Orakpo

ILB - London Fletcher

ILB - Rocky McIntosh

ROLB - Ryan Kerrigan

CB - DeAngelo Hall

CB - Carlos Rodgers

SS - LaRon Landry

FS - Oshi Atogwe

Yah, too early to think about who will come back and resign, who we sign from other teams, or who steps up from being a backup from last year. These players are technically on the roster or were drafted this year and will be on the roster. I'm just getting an idea.

Rogers and McIntosh are almost assuredly gone. Right now, Barnes and Riley are starters there.

Maybe Buchanon, if he's brought back.

But its been widely reported that we really don't have an interest in bringing McIntosh and Rogers back. The only way I can see that happening is if the rules the NFL plays by allows them to be brought back on cheap, team-friendly RFA tenders. And even then I'm not sure that Rocky would be back.

I love the blue collar, hard working, nononsence players....they might not be flashy, but they will be productive.

I think we are solid on the NT position. We can kick Jenkins inside on passing and third downs, Bryant can be play the middle on normal downs and Chris Neild could rotate with him to keep each other fresh.

I might not win games, but it is solid enough to give the player around them chances to make plays.

2 things i noticed...neild eats up 2 blocks at almost all times and bruce irvin is an animal lol

Yea, If Bruce Irvin can bulk up a bit with out losing speed, (hes currently like 235) 4.7@40

And get about 10-14 sacks this year he will probably be Top 10. Alot of IFs though

How does the defense look if he starts?

DE - Adam Carriker

DT - Chris Neild

DE - Jarvis Jenkins

LOLB - Brian Orakpo

ILB - London Fletcher

ILB - Rocky McIntosh

ROLB - Ryan Kerrigan

CB - DeAngelo Hall

CB - Carlos Rodgers

SS - LaRon Landry

FS - Oshi Atogwe

This has the makings of a very solid D. Imagine what it could be if we get Asomugha in free agency.

Thanks for posting the link. I like the Hankerson and Helu picks too but since I refuse to give SI any of my net traffic I won't see the author's comments there.

As bad as our current defensive scheme and rankings, I doubt very seriously if the next to last pick in the draft will be a starter this year.

not to harsh anyone's buzz on the guy b/c i like him too, i'm just saying that writer did not "predict" he would be starting. just said he could be starting. huge difference. i think the thread title should be changed b/c it's very misleading.

i could be starting at kicker by the end of the season, but it doesn't mean i'm making a prediction that i am.

Archived