Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI writer predicts Chris Neild starting at NT by end of 2011...

wilbur58z

Neild is a run-stopping defensive tackle who could contribute in a defensive line rotation at the next level. He is stout with a strong lower half and is very difficult to move out of running lanes. He also has very active hands to keep blockers from getting inside and flashes the lateral range to make plays outside of the tackle box. However, he lacks explosion off the line and is very raw as a pass rusher. Neild possesses natural leverage and is an asset against the run and he will likely be a middle round pick.

Neild is tall enough with a thick lower half. Plays with good leverage and clogs up running lanes. Delivers a powerful initial punch and possesses very heavy active hands to shed blocks. Flashes a powerful bull rush. High effort kid that fights to the whistle and finishes plays.

Not the quickest kid off the ball and poor foot speed prevents him from making plays in the backfield. Will not be able to play nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme. Lacks a repertoire of pass rushing counter moves and does not have a closing burst to get after the quarterback. Will not make tackles in space.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chris-neild?id=2495319#tabs:tab-analysis

Interesting analysis. cant play NT in 3-4?

They describe him as pretty much a perfect NT (clogs up running lanes, sheds blocks, bull rush, "natural leverage"), then say he can't play it. Trust his play at WV, he played NT in their 3-3-5. He's the perfect guy for our defense.

I love the blue collar, hard working, nononsence players....they might not be flashy, but they will be productive.

I think we are solid on the NT position. We can kick Jenkins inside on passing and third downs, Bryant can be play the middle on normal downs and Chris Neild could rotate with him to keep each other fresh.

I might not win games, but it is solid enough to give the player around them chances to make plays.

I agree with this. Don't get me wrong - I really like Neild as a prospect but practically speaking its very hard for me to believe that the Skins waited until the bottom of the 7th round to pick the guy (or one of the guys) they visioned starting at NT. I know everyone is saying Jenkins will play primarlily at RDE but he's 6'4, 210 pounds and the biggest knock on him is that he isn't very strong. I truly believe he was picked with the expectation that he's going to put on 10 - 20 pounds of bulk (hopefully muscle) and log a lot of time at NT. Maybe I'm wrong and the Skins really were waiting until the very last of our 12 picks to get a starting caliber NT but that's very hard for me to believe. I think Neild has potential and will likely emerge as great depth at the position but I think they have another plan and it likely includes Bryant and Jenkins rotating at nose and Jenkins also playing RDE at times.

If Maake's there too and at 100%, that would be absolutely AMAZING.

How many NTs does a team normally carry on its 53?

3 I believe. A starter, a back-up and then a guy to back them up or use in the nickel and dime package. And on goaline plays, you don't want 3 DE and 2 DT on that front on a 4th and goal from the 1.

ok, so the two gap one gap thing, that basically applies to the 3 Dlineman right? either they're responsible for 2 gaps a piece and the linebackers run free, or they're responsible for 1 and the linebackers are responsible for 1.

If you're two-gapping across the board on the defensive line the LBs still have to maintain gap discipline, they're not entirely free to roam around as they please against the run. Usually this means that you've got gap redundancy at the snap (your NT will mind both A gaps, each ILB will mind one A and one B gap, each DE will mind one B and one C gap, etc.).

3 I believe. A starter, a back-up and then a guy to back them up or use in the nickel and dime package. And on goaline plays, you don't want 3 DE and 2 DT on that front on a 4th and goal from the 1.

You're overthinking it a bit. You only need to carry two NTs but you can choose to keep another if you like your third option or one of your first two guys is injury prone. Remember, 3-4 DEs are big guys as well and can just as easily act as interior linemen in goal line, nickel, and dime packages.

It's pretty typical for 3-4 teams to employ a 2-4-5 nickel front that tends to look like this (note the lack of a NT):

207t2kl_medium.jpg

I

You're overthinking it a bit. You only need to carry two NTs but you can choose to keep another if you like your third option or one of your first two guys is injury prone. Remember, 3-4 DEs are big guys as well and can just as easily act as interior linemen in goal line, nickel, and dime packages.

It's pretty typical for 3-4 teams to employ a 2-4-5 nickel front that tends to look like this (note the lack of a NT):

207t2kl_medium.jpg

I'm not over thinking in the slightest. The Packers carried 3 last season(Raji, Pickett and Howard Green) the Ravens carried 3(Gregg, Cody and McKinney) the Jets carried 3 last year(Jenkins, Pouha and Martin Tevaseu) the Pats(Wilfork, Myron Pryor and Kyle Love) I mean the Chargers had 3, the Broncos had 3 until Baker went to Miami, etc.

I'm not over thinking in the slightest. The Packers carried 3 last season(Raji, Pickett and Howard Green) the Ravens carried 3(Gregg, Cody and McKinney) the Jets carried 3 last year(Jenkins, Pouha and Martin Tevaseu) the Pats(Wilfork, Myron Pryor and Kyle Love) I mean the Chargers had 3, the Broncos had 3 until Baker went to Miami, etc.

The Packers picked up Howard in October because of a rash of DL injuries. Besides, I didn't say that it was unusual or unnecessary to carry three.

depends on what you define to be a NT. Only Raji is really dedicated to NT as he's the starter. Pickett, while he did play one season at NT, played this last season as one of our starting DEs, and Howard Green was a mid-season pickup to replace our fallen DEs. Green had been plugged into NT here and there, but I think most of his playing time was as a big run-stopping D-Line package (Green-Raji-Pickett).

I think the ideal situation is to have a lot of big bodies that you can plug in anywhere along the D-line.

• 1 month later...

here's some updated info. don't like the last sentnece though...

Redskins veterans say seventh-round pick Chris Neild "picked things up quickly" at last week's player-organized minicamp.

The Redskins have continuity in the defensive scheme, so veterans were presumably able to distribute playbook-type material. Neild is a hard-to-move nose tackle prospect out of West Virginia. If the Skins don't break the bank on a free agent nose, Neild could play a big role as a rookie. It's another testament to how weak the Redskins' roster is. It's the worst in football.

http://rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

here's some updated info. don't like the last sentnece though...

Redskins veterans say seventh-round pick Chris Neild "picked things up quickly" at last week's player-organized minicamp.

The Redskins have continuity in the defensive scheme, so veterans were presumably able to distribute playbook-type material. Neild is a hard-to-move nose tackle prospect out of West Virginia. If the Skins don't break the bank on a free agent nose, Neild could play a big role as a rookie. It's another testament to how decent the Redskins' draft was.

There fix it for Mr. Rotoworld.

http://rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

I think it is a possibility that Neild could be starting by game 10. I bet Anthony Bryant gets the nod for most of the year. But, really I am hoping that Haynesworth wants to step up and play football. And put him at nose, forget RE, we need a NT.

That ship has sailed I doubt he'll ever play meaningful football for us ever again

Watched Neild his entire career at WVU. Dude is a stud and is gonna make life alot easier for our Inside Linebackers. For Hankerson to be sitting there in the Third round was just ridiculous. I guess we have to thank all those teams that reached for QBs and position needs instead of Value.

Watched Neild his entire career at WVU. Dude is a stud and is gonna make life alot easier for our Inside Linebackers. For Hankerson to be sitting there in the Third round was just ridiculous. I guess we have to thank all those teams that reached for QBs and position needs instead of Value.

Do you think Neild would need to pick up a few pounds? The scouting report has him listed @ 6'2 319 lbs...

I felt like he could have been snagged in the 6th or 7th round and perhaps gotten a better player. There is not much that stands out about this kid. I will say that Shanny's are more knowledgeable than me but wtf

He was behind Amukamara and another kid that's even better. Has the size to play LB and S and the coverage skills to play Nickel. Think about where the NFL is going with receiver sets and you'll understand this was a move made ahead of it's time. Perhaps a bit early but a good pick none the less.

Jenkins is projected to DE. Kemoeatu is a free agent and at 33 near the end of the line. Bryant will be 30 years old and has only started a handful of games in his short NFL career.

No reason to think that without a major free agent signing that Neild wouldn't have a chance to come in here and make his mark.

Archived