Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI writer predicts Chris Neild starting at NT by end of 2011...

wilbur58z

Tony Pauline in his "Steals and Reaches" article on SI.com:

Chris Neild/NT/Washington/Round 7/No. 253: The fact Neild was the second-to-last player selected is mind-blowing. He's a 320-pound slugger who brings his lunch pail to work every day and is a prospect coaches will love. Don't be surprised if he's starting by the end of his rookie season.

He also listed Hankerson and Helu as steals...

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/04/30/draft.steals.reaches/index.html#ixzz1L7au4FXn

I looked for Neild highlights and the down low on him but didn't find much. I found a CBS Sports draft prospect analysts about him that kind of gave conflicting statements of him. They said he was a spac eater with good leverage of double teams and good use of his hands when he needs to shed blockers. He also shows good pursuit. Then in his weakness they say he doesn't push the pile back with no pass rushing ability or has good lateral movement. But what does a good NT do? He is a space eater with good leverage on double teams at the line of scrimmage and can shed blockers with his hands if needed. He isn't suppose to be a pash rusher instead he is to clog the middle up and let the linebackers make the tackles. This sounds like exactly what we need.

It was just nice to see us not throw away picks like Skittles for once. This team had/has a ton of holes & I think we finally moved in the direction to fill them. I'm just waiting for Vinny C to report what a horrible draft we had. Then I'll know for sure it was a slam dunk success.

I looked for Neild highlights and the down low on him but didn't find much. I found a CBS Sports draft prospect analysts about him that kind of gave conflicting statements of him. They said he was a spac eater with good leverage of double teams and good use of his hands when he needs to shed blockers. He also shows good pursuit. Then in his weakness they say he doesn't push the pile back with no pass rushing ability or has good lateral movement. But what does a good NT do? He is a space eater with good leverage on double teams at the line of scrimmage and can shed blockers with his hands if needed. He isn't suppose to be a pash rusher instead he is to clog the middle up and let the linebackers make the tackles. This sounds like exactly what we need.

I think the mediots downgrade players for lack of sacks and passrush. A run stuffing NT in a 3-4 isn't there to get sacks anyway, he's there to occupy blockers and clog up the middle, freeing up others to make the plays. I'm perfectly fine with that, and was pleasantly surprised when the skins took him late in the 7th, I figured he'd be gone by 6 at the latest.

He's athletic, did 30 reps at the combine, ran a 5 second 40. I think he'll be just fine, and the skins DL got a little better with him. Hopefully he learns fast and will start and be this team's Ted Washington for the future.

eta here's a good article on him

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/eers-to-the-ground/22763-here-is-why-chris-neild-is-a-leader

I love the draft pick of Nield. Honestly, I was hoping for another offensive linemen ... but I was esctatic to see we got a guy who has the potential to be a true NT in our 3-4. Pair him with Bryant at NT, throw in Jenkins as a starter at RDE, and our run stopping defense arguably got a whole lot better. Let's hope young guns at ILB like Riley and Henson can prove to be solid starters.

Our short yardage D is going to be sick. Neild was the pick that pulled it together for our D imo. Can't wait to see what we look like now, especially late in games given the rotation we can do now. Neild has the good character that all this draft class have, he also should contribute from game 1 which will give him the chance to earn more play time. We're a good spot for him to land and given how Mike's eyes narrow when he says 'got to be able to stop the run' not a surprise to go with a good run defending DE.

Love adding 2 guys to our DL that need 2 guys each to contain them. Rak's got to smiling right now too, and given he's on one end of a good DL I think Kerrigan has come into a good place for him too. If we don't light it up on D this year we need a new DC.

My only issue with Neild is that he's a bit small, weight-wise. A couple of reports I came across said his frame is maxed out, so that kind of limits his ability to eat space on the NFL level. However, I'm optimistic that our training staff can get him in proper shape without compromising his abilities. I really hope the added weight does not result in recurring injuries.

so obviously, we are now FINALLY going about building a new team the right way and it appears after this draft that Mike and Bruce know what they are doing and are good at it.

What was the deal with last year? Did he need a full year of evaluation to know what was needed, I thought it kind of did that before we hired him? Was he already wearing burgandy tinted glasses coming in?

whatever the reason, I'm soooooooooo glad we are finallly doing this right, just curious what the deal was with last year or if not doing much was part of the plan for the first year.

so obviously, we are now FINALLY going about building a new team the right way and it appears after this draft that Mike and Bruce know what they are doing and are good at it.

What was the deal with last year? Did he need a full year of evaluation to know what was needed, I thought it kind of did that before we hired him? Was he already wearing burgandy tinted glasses coming in?

whatever the reason, I'm soooooooooo glad we are finallly doing this right, just curious what the deal was with last year or if not doing much was part of the plan for the first year.

He was hired in December. He basically had four months to evaluate what he had (Samuels retiring didn't help, because that pretty much guaranteed us taking a LT in the first round), and only had game film (no real locker-room interaction, no real seeing how the team got along together). Now that he's had a full year, he was able to make a full assessment and could do what needed to be done.

Wow we landed 3 players in the "Steals" section. Man this feels like a completely different team. I'm loving it!! Hope hes right about all those guys.

watch it not matter because the season gets cancelled

Reading his scouting report from another site, I liked what I read. One, he did not miss a game at west virginina. two, he is solid against the run and anchors the middle. The weakness I read was he does not rush the passer and I do not mind that because that will not be his job in the Skins 3-4. Some are concerned about his weight and motor and he needs to get into shape but all in all sounds like a coachable football player

i really don't know how he'll project in the nfl, but i do know the guy was an absolute monster in morgantown. he anchored our d last year.

Which West Virginia had one of the best D's in the NCAA last year, right?

My only issue with Neild is that he's a bit small' date=' weight-wise. A couple of reports I came across said his frame is maxed out, so that kind of limits his ability to eat space on the NFL level. However, I'm optimistic that our training staff can get him in proper shape without compromising his abilities. I really hope the added weight does not result in recurring injuries.[/quote']

I keep hearin things like this, but he's 320, and aren't some of the other top NTs about that size? Casey Hampton is about 325, Dockett and Ratliff are about 300. Not sayin that he'll be any of those guys, but is it that much of a concern? I know a lot of these guys are 340 and up, but can he make up for that 20 pounds with technique and/or hustle? Is 20 pounds that much when your talkin about 300 pounders? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I don't know much about nose tackles. These are just a few questions that come to mind when I hear things about his size. Anybody feel free to enlighten me.

Every defensive play for WVU against Pitt. Its hard to Neild sometimes, but its probably the best footage of him you'll find.

Also, that channel has a couple of Boise games, an FSU game, Nebraska games, and Miami game. Again its hard to follow specific players, but at least its something!

The one guy I felt was a reach was Gomes.

You're not alone there.

I keep hearin things like this, but he's 320, and aren't some of the other top NTs about that size? Casey Hampton is about 325, Dockett and Ratliff are about 300. Not sayin that he'll be any of those guys, but is it that much of a concern? I know a lot of these guys are 340 and up, but can he make up for that 20 pounds with technique and/or hustle? Is 20 pounds that much when your talkin about 300 pounders? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I don't know much about nose tackles. These are just a few questions that come to mind when I hear things about his size. Anybody feel free to enlighten me.

The size issue is definitely overstated. 6'2", 320 pounds is fine for a NT, you already mentioned Hampton as being about that size and I'd point to Aubrayo Franklin as another guy in that mold. For the record, though, Dockett is a DE and Ratliff plays in a system that has somewhat different requirements for its NT so he's not necessarily the best example to pull out.

Archived