Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the biggest Redskins 1st Round Bust

fuji869

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I did the “Who was the Redskins Greatest 1st Round Draft Pick” Poll now it is time for the Who was the Biggest Redskins 1st Round Bust:

1992 Desmond Howard WR

1994 Heath Shuler QB

1995 Michael Westbrook

1996 Ander Johnson OT

2001 Rod Gardner WR

Funny the first year was 1992 but we did not have many 1st Round Draft Picks in the 1970 and 1980s. :pfft:

This one is toughr.

I'm going Shuler given he was taken 3rd overall as the next franchise QB and produced terrible stats. I don't think he had a season where he threw more TDs than INTs. He had several seasons where he threw double or more INTs than TDs. And he didn't do anything elsewhere either.

The answer has to be Heath Shuler. 2nd or 3rd overall pick and he completed less than 50% of his passes as a pro.

Desmond Howard did not do much for us, but he did win a Super Bowl MVP award in his career. Rod Gardner was never very good, but we did get some production out of him. As with Gardner, so with Michael Westbrook. Maybe you could make a case that Andre Johnson was the worst because he did literally nothing as a pro, but I'm still thinking the correct answer has to be Shuler because of the expectations he brought.

Trading back into the first round for Jason costing us two first rounders is the worst for me

Except at least his production was nowhere near as bad as Shuler's, he wasn't a 3rd pick overall, and he's still starting in the NFL so he doesn't qualify for the level of bust that Shuler and Johnson attained, the two candidates this poll is really between.

The answer has to be Heath Shuler. 2nd or 3rd overall pick and he completed less than 50% of his passes as a pro.

Desmond Howard did not do much for us, but he did win a Super Bowl MVP award in his career. Rod Gardner was never very good, but we did get some production out of him. As with Gardner, so with Michael Westbrook. Maybe you could make a case that Andre Johnson was the worst because he did literally nothing as a pro, but I'm still thinking the correct answer has to be Shuler because of the expectations he brought.

You may be right. On pure "bust score"- not even making the club. I went with Andre... but in terms of disappointment/expectations, it would have to be Heath.

You may be right. On pure "bust score"- not even making the club. I went with Andre... but in terms of disappointment/expectations, it would have to be Heath.
I hear ya. But unlike Johnson, there was no way we could cut Shuler in year one. Remember the contract negotiations with him? We invested so much in that guy. We had no choice but to try and develop him.

Nonetheless, it was obvious to everybody that Frerotte was superior to our supposed super-star QB of the future. A sad, sad era in Redskins football it was.

. . . the level of bust that Shuler and Johnson attained . . .
This turn of phrase made me laugh. Hilarious.

Shuler was one of the biggest busts of all time in the league. Expectations were so high for him, and he was so bad. I personally hated the pick when they made it, but even I was surprised at how bad he was.

The funny thing about when Heath Suler was drafted I had never heard of him and I asked a friend about him. My friend told me how awesome he was and I wound up drinking the Kool-Aide. I got hooked on Shuler after I saw his late game near come back heroics on Sunday Night Football against the Giants his rookie year. I was a big fan of his and still have his jersey and rookie cards to this day. Unfortunately his career never amounted to anything.

All that said, I vote for the linemen I never even heard of in my life. Westbrook had a great year for us in '99 and lasted a while so you can't say he was a bust. Gardner was more of a bust than Westbrook. Plus if you say Michael Westbrook is a bust he will come to your door and make you tap out.

Other=Cal Rossi.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 09:52 PM ----------

The funny thing about when Heath Suler was drafted I had never heard of him and I asked a friend about him. My friend told me how awesome he was and I wound up drinking the Kool-Aide. I got hooked on Shuler after I saw his late came near come back heroics on Sunday Night Football against the Giants his rookie year. I was a big fan of his and still have his jersey and rookie cards to this day. Unfortunately his career never amounted to anything.

All that said, I vote for the linemen I never even heard of in my life. Westbrook had a great year for us i n'99 and lasted a while so you can't say he was a bust. Gardner was more of a bust than Westbrook. Plus if you say Michael Westbrook is a bust he will come to your door and make you tap out.

Do you remember Norv Turner walking on the practice field and dragging an O-lineman off by the facemask for practicing so poorly? That was Andre Johnson

At least we weren't in position to get Jamarcus Russell. Oh, and Cam Newton.

Heath Shuler it is but Johnson really was the worst pick since he didn't even play in a single game ever for the Redskins.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 12:47 PM ----------

Wait. What? Holy smokes! I did not even know Vinny was around in the 1940s.

lol

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 12:48 PM ----------

We also got something for Jason who, while he never lived up to what he cost, did GIVE us multiple seasons.

**** man, quit reminding me of those "multiple season" that JC "gave" us. The dude made every win a very painful experience, and there weren't a lot of wins either.

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

Yeah. Still can't believe we gave up 2 firsts for a QB that has the uncanny ability NOT to make the big play.

How was it 2 firsts? Didn't we trade the next years first and some later round picks? We still picked Rogers with our pick that year. Should have picked the other Rodgers and saved ourselves the trouble with the JC **** IMO.

Archived