Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the biggest Redskins 1st Round Bust

fuji869

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What was the scouting report on Shuler? Which current day QB was he supposed to be like? (Say he was a prospect today, his NFL comparison.) I remember, I remember his suck and his hype, but I was so young at the time I don't really remember the details behind it too much.

I'm not sure who you would compare him to today, but the talk at the time was that Shuler would be "the next Troy Aikman," the strong-armed trigger-man in Norv's offense.

Maybe this will refresh your memory:

44Zg2lr8b5k

Just looking at all the 90s 1st round busts that we had shows how bad Charlie Casserly was. Yes, Desmond Howard was squarely on Gibbs shoulders as he wanted him. Heath Shuler came out with Trent Dilfer and it has been highly documented that Charlie Casserly wanted Trent Dilfer, but we could have done better not drafting a WR as Trent was nothing special either. The only reason the Ravens went to the super bowl was the defense. I don't fault Casserly much for Michael Westbrook as any team in need of a WR would have chosen him as he was a beast at Colorado. Andre Johnson, come on, we needed to trade with the Cowboys to acquire a bust. Lets not forget Kenard Lang, who may not have been one of the worst busts, but he was a bust.

Casserly and the lack of solid 1st rounders was a big reason Norv Turner didn't succeed in the 90s.

Neil

I'm not sure who you would compare him to today, but the talk at the time was that Shuler would be "the next Troy Aikman," the strong-armed trigger-man in Norv's offense.

Maybe this will refresh your memory:

Yeah I've seen that show a dozen times. I'll say one thing, Heath Shuler might be the most successful former 1st round bust ever.

My first thought is always Tory Nixon. But he was a second. The one that hurt me the most on the draft day was Rod Gardner. I was with another a skins fan watching the draft and yelling for Steve Hutchinson. instead we get 50/50!!

From the list there, it has to be Shuler. Busted OL/WRs don't do as much damage to a franchise as a busted QB does. Blind luck to get Gus Frerotte, who almost played the position like a big boy (ignoring "The Headbutt", of course).

people fogot this loser held out for cash with case of red ass over his contract...then proceeded to suck. Heath Shuler..no contest.

Shuler was a first-round selection in the 1994 NFL Draft, taken by the Washington Redskins with the third overall pick. ESPN rated him the 4th biggest NFL Draft bust of all time.[2] He held out of training camp until he received a 7-year, $19.25 million contract. The Redskins had fallen on hard times since winning Super Bowl XXVI, and Shuler was looked on as the quarterback of the future. However, Shuler's poor play contributed to a quarterback controversy with fellow 1994 draft pick Gus Frerotte. This was evident when Shuler threw five interceptions in a game against the Arizona Cardinals. Shuler started 18 games in his first two years with the team and was benched in his third year, as Frerotte went to the Pro Bowl.

Most would say Shuler but to me it's Andre Johnson. I still think after 1995 he should've been the starter. Howard certaily warrants consideration but Johnson was an all out bust who never played a down and considering we could've had a spitting image of John Riggins named Mike Alstott, that is painful. I'd put Patrick Ramsey or Carlos Rogers on this list before I put Westbrook. Too bad he tore his knee in 2000 because he was finally discovering his talent

A 'franchise' QB costs more than any other permission in all regards. How long did the Skins have to pay that man for his horrible services? He was awful. Period. He set the Redskins back years. There weren't that many QB's taken in that draft at all. Maybe it would have been a better idea to get another position? Or hell, what about Dilfer? I'm just saying that compared to Tackle, WR, RB, whatever, pick a position. It doesn't cost a franchise as much as a QB.

Shuler. A QB bust in the top 5 sets the franchise back for 5 years or more then other positions.

No doubt about that one. You can afford to miss on a linebacker, or a receiver. But that QB man, it's a whole different monster.

Too close to call between Howard, Shuler, and A Johnson.

If I remember right we actually had two 1st round picks the year we chose Howard. Ours which was the last pick in the 1st round, and a top 10 pick we aquired via a trade. I'm pretty sure we gave up both 1sts to move up a couple slots to take Howard. So not only was Howard a top 10 bust, but he actually cost us two 1st rounders that year. And the pick itself was silly, since we still had Monk, Clark, and Sanders on the team. So Howard was picked to be a #4 receiver.

Hard not to pick Shuler outright, though. I heard a story a few years ago that Norv Turner and an assistant coach were talking in practice not long after Shuler arrived in camp and after watching Shuler and Gus practice they admitted that they may have made a bad pick in HS. Basically, HS looked like the 7th round pick, not Gus. And HS royally stunk it up in the games he played in.

Then there's Andre Johnson who was so bad he couldn't even make the field.

A 3 way tie. The amazing thing is that Howard, Heath, and A Johnson were all drafted within a 5 year period. And you've got Michael Westbrook tossed into that period as well. 1992-1996 is among the worst 5 year periods any team has ever had in drafting 1st round picks.

Archived