Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So who is running up the middle on the Lions?

Destino

Anybody hear Sapp on Dan Patrick the other day? He said that he didn't think Fairley would be all that good. That he "plays too long" and high. That he's not good at grabbing and moving. Not a tactition. He wasn't high on him at all.

If he does work out, though, that line will be devastating. Corey Williams is no slouch either, though.

Anybody hear Sapp on Dan Patrick the other day? He said that he didn't think Fairley would be all that good. That he "plays too long" and high. That he's not good at grabbing and moving. Not a tactition. He wasn't high on him at all.

If he does work out, though, that line will be devastating. Corey Williams is no slouch either, though.

Those all seem like fairly correctable flaws that can be ironed out with a few weeks of training camp to me. As long as he's willing to work hard at his craft, I see no reason why he won't be a dominating force in the years.to come

You mean Williams and WIlliams.

It's ok to laugh at a joke

dude..the lions had an AMAZING draft. they are gonna be for real soon. holy sh**

The key is Stafford staying healthy. Like I've said before, the Lions are my hobby team. I don't root for them but i follow them. I always love good rebuilds so I got stuck on them about four years ago. The Lions have some serious talent across the board. Stafford is legit. Stafford + Megatron is insane. But Stafford has to stay healthy. I could really, easily see them making the playoffs this upcoming season if that happens.

:whoknows: Seems to work every year with the Giants and THEIR DL/front 7. And they did it again today. I don't think you can really "overkill" a position on defense, except maybe S and ILB.

The Giants won one SB on a hot playoff run and haven't repeated that since. Sometime it can be overkill when you constantly ignore other positions (cough, cough, Redskins OL/QB). But in Detroit's case, this isn't overkill when you had the other DT position open.

I literally fell out of my chair when Fairley's name flashed across the screen. That was the best pick of the draft IMO, great value, at a very important position.

If Fairley has his head on straight, The Lions D will wreak havoc on Sundays. Like my good friend Bubble Screen said, it doesn't matter if you have Richard ****ing Simmons in the secondary when you have dual flamethrowers in the trenches. Unlike having two elite DE's and subpar tackles, where the QB can easily step up in the pocket, he is instead going to get immediate pressure from the inside, which is going to make everyones life on that defense a lot easier.

I'd have to source it, but I'm pretty sure that no DT in NFL history has ever gotten more than 14+ sacks in a season. It may not happen this year, but with the threat of having Fairley beside him, I can almost guarantee that Suh will get it. In about 2-3 years, the Lions will be good, damn good.

I think they could be damn good sooner than that, Sin. But like GAC stated, the key is whether or not Stafford can stay healthy. And I share his sentiments about their rebuliding process, too. I love what this team is doing. And they have a damn good head coach to lead them.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 01:39 PM ----------

I would predict that if fairley plays to his potential, theyll have best dline in the game.

Who do you dbl team? Im sure itll be suh receiving the dbl. Just up to fairley to beat em one on one

I buy this. And I think people will also be putting Tampa's name into the mix pretty soon as well. They drafted two stud DTs last year, and then two studs ends in this draft. Granted, Bowers is sort of iffy. But I like what they're doing, too.

This kid falling was such a gift. It allows Schwartz and co. so much flexibility..

Assuming the reason he fell doesn't come to fruition. There was a time that Johnathan Sullivan and Dewayne Robertson were going to dominate as well. If he comes to play like he did in the Championship game it's not going to matter if Matthew Stafford gets hurt again because they will be dominant. But if he doesn't play with heart....

The Giants won one SB on a hot playoff run and haven't repeated that since. Sometime it can be overkill when you constantly ignore other positions (cough, cough, Redskins OL/QB). But in Detroit's case, this isn't overkill when you had the other DT position open.

The Giants D-Line also hasn't been the same since that run. Injuries and what not. That D-Line play against the Pats in Arizona was incredible. And to be fair, Detroit really didn't have a need at the other DT position. Corey Williams is a damn good player for them, it just makes it even more scary now that they'll be rotating those 3 guys and they'll all be fresh.

The Giants D-Line also hasn't been the same since that run. Injuries and what not. That D-Line play against the Pats in Arizona was incredible. And to be fair, Detroit really didn't have a need at the other DT position. Corey Williams is a damn good player for them, it just makes it even more scary now that they'll be rotating those 3 guys and they'll all be fresh.

Forgot about Corey Williams.

It's ok to laugh at a joke

The key is Stafford staying healthy. Like I've said before, the Lions are my hobby team. I don't root for them but i follow them. I always love good rebuilds so I got stuck on them about four years ago. The Lions have some serious talent across the board. Stafford is legit. Stafford + Megatron is insane. But Stafford has to stay healthy. I could really, easily see them making the playoffs this upcoming season if that happens.

Yeah the Lions are kinda my honorary second favorite team just because I like cheering for 'em. Its been HELLA refreshing seeing that there is at least one franchise out there rebuilding in the correct way. And I'm a Dawg fan so I had to follow Stafford and cheer for him.

BUT

Let's all not get carried away with Fairley. The guy has done nothing in the NFL. What are we counting on here? At best, are we expecting another Suh? If so, it's just scary to think about the possibilities. But Fairley isn't Suh and didn't get the Suh hype coming out of college. Suh was to defensive linemen what Luck is to QB's, coming out of college. Fairley did NOT get this hype and he tumbled down the draft boards. I DO think he landed in a great position to excel, which is half the battle in the NFL - also see Ryan Mallett there.

Fairley on a lot of teams could've failed, but he hit an energetic young team and an energetic yougn defense where he won't be counted on to do too much. Great position and that leaves room for the hype....but I'm not gonna CROWN 'EM just yet.

Fairley on a lot of teams could've failed, but he hit an energetic young team and an energetic yougn defense where he won't be counted on to do too much. Great position and that leaves room for the hype....but I'm not gonna CROWN 'EM just yet.

Probably true. If the Bengals or Cardinals had drafted him we'd probably all be calling him a bust already.

Funny how the Lions have turned around their image that fast. They aren't on the laughingstock defense list anymore, 2 years after not winning a game.

As a 'Skins fan, the Lions getting better works for me only on the level of being happy that Mayhew might have success. As an NFL fan generally, the possible improvement of the Lions is a happy circumstance (unless the 'Skins are playing them) because Thanksgiving football will be much better. I was really glad about the addition of the NFL Network late game, but over the years the afternoon offerings have averaged out to a lot of "meh." On the one hand you have a yearly Cowardboys dog ~n~ pony show, which could only be a viewing salvaged in a decent way should they lose. Then there's the Lions (especially the Millen years)... 'nuff said. If things gel for the Lions D as they plan, by the time Turkey Day rolls around I'll be downright psyched.

velocet

Archived