Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much luck do we need to get....Luck?

HailToTheRedskins14

Which NFC East Team Has Had the Best Draft So Far?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Which NFC East Team Has Had the Best Draft So Far?

We've been in nearly every game for the last 15 years thats nothing new. I dont believe we will do anything If Grossman is QB. We may end up 8-8 at best depending on the draft and free agency

Like I said ill wait until after free agency to say how good we'll be for sure. As of right now i think the ceiling is 8-8 which I dont think is likely.

That's all I'm saying. That even if we aren't a "good or great" team, we'll still hover around 8-8 or so. Just because of small improvements, and easier schedule, and Shanahan's coaching.

Which puts us out of the Luck sweepstakes. That's all I was saying.

I wasn't arguing we'd be a playoff team or even have a winning record.

Yeah, the other poster is missing the point about how much they will have invested in Newton. No way they go QB again. Even if its Luck. Plus their owner is a known cheapskate. He's not about to invest that much money in QBs in back-to-back seasons. Especially when he could dangle the #1 pick out there. The return for that pick would be through the roof (provided Luck doesn't have any setbacks).

Exactly. If a team that already has an adequate QB has the #1 pick, other teams will be LINING UP to trade the house for that pick. It will be worth more in trade to a team that can't (or wouldn't) take Luck anyways. Especially if Luck is fairly cheap, with a rookie wage scale.

If Luck continues on his current path no one will move out of the #1 spot.

Scouts are calling him the next Brady/Manning whatever, basically they're drooling over him. If he has a good year, the team with the #1 pick will draft him no matter what.. Even if its Carolina, they'll trade Newton and get Luck. That's how crazy the scouts are about this guy. So we either tank it and lose everything or we're not getting him. I'd put money on it, unless Luck has a bad year or gets injured I don't think he'll end up here.

LOL What value exactly would Newton bring if Carolina ended up in a position to trade him?..You're not thinking this through, man. They have will have invested too much in Newton to give up on him after a year. And there's no guarantee the guy is gonna start right away, btw. So basically they could be sitting here a year from now, not really knowing exactly what they have in the guy. They would be fools to start him right away.

And Richardson will NOT pay a QB that kind of money in back-to-back seasons. Trust me on this one. Carolina would get a king's ransom for another #1 pick. Or if they kept the pick, they'd probably draft a stud on the defensive side.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 03:29 AM ----------

I can't see the Panthers having that bad of a season again. Rivera is going to change the culture around there. They may be in the top 10 again, but I doubt #1.

It depends what they do with Cam. If they try and start him right away, its not a stretch to say they could be sitting here next year with the #1 pick again. But I'm thinking they will bring him along a little slower than that. They would be idiots to throw him out there from the get-go.

No way the Skins get to 8 wins next year. Impossible.

Skins will win 5 or fewer games. My guess is Shanny already sold Snyder on the deal over drinks at the golf club. Keep in mind shanny is here for the long haul. Rest assured he isn't hitching the teams future on the arm of Grossman, or McNabb nor will he want to risk his chance at the Hall on either of those guys.

Part of me feels like it's just the Skins turn to get the chance at a player like AL.

That's all I'm saying. That even if we aren't a "good or great" team, we'll still hover around 8-8 or so. Just because of small improvements, and easier schedule, and Shanahan's coaching.

Which puts us out of the Luck sweepstakes. That's all I was saying.

I wasn't arguing we'd be a playoff team or even have a winning record.

Oh ok, yea we have a chance to reach 8-8 but we just have to see what other moves we make. I do know that we will be very aggressive in free agency.

Skins will win 5 or fewer games. My guess is Shanny already sold Snyder on the deal over drinks at the golf club. Keep in mind shanny is here for the long haul. Rest assured he isn't hitching the teams future on the arm of Grossman, or McNabb nor will he want to risk his chance at the Hall on either of those guys.

Part of me feels like it's just the Skins turn to get the chance at a player like AL.

I hope your right about getting Luck. Even if we do finish 8-8 (which i dont see happening as of right now) I think we will pay that Kings Ransom to get Luck.

I hope your right about getting Luck. Even if we do finish 8-8 (which i dont see happening as of right now) I think we will pay that Kings Ransom to get Luck.

I just don't see how a team that was the worst defensive team in the NFL can improve that drastically in one year. The Skins are openly admitting to needing a rebuild with the way this group has navigated the draft the past two days. You don't trade down what, four? times unless you are desperate for players.

Plus, I think most level headed fans are willing to give this staff a few years to figure this thing out. Nobody I know is expecting the Skins to bring the Lombardi Trophy back to Washington in 2012:ols: With that in mind you cheer for the team knowing they aren't very good, but know in the back of your head every loss is one WIN closer to getting Luck.

I'd like someone to try to put into words how exactly we'll be a worse team than last year. Personnel-wise, and with an easier schedule to boot.

And I'd like to see if they could do it without going "uhh, uh.....but...we'll be starting Grossman!"

Because that seems to be the only thing anyone's got, there.

I think this is interesting regarding the teams we would have to compete against for Andrew Luck. The Redskins play the following this 2011 season: Cardinals, Bills, Dolphins, Seahawks. We even play teams that have a QB now that could try and grab Luck: 49ers, Patriots, and Cowboys. And since we are talking about the Panthers we also play the Panthers. If the Skins were going to tank this year its crucial they don't beat these teams for tie-purposes. How funny (well maybe not that funny) would it be to see the Redskins vs Bills playing each other in effort to not win? Haha, break out the swinging gate plays.

-----

BTW I think even with Grossman at QB this team will win around 7 games.

Depends. Things seemed bad as possible going into this draft: McNabb failed, QB situation in question, very few draft picks...now we have tons of picks, filling needs, and feeling good. If we feel awful next year again, it's because we will have had another bad embarrassing year, and therefore, we'll be high in the draft, and able to get Luck perhaps. If not, then I'll say **** Luck, the team's on the right track and we'll not worry about ONE player, even if QB is the most important. It is, indeed, far to early to even think about because it's gonna skew your expectations for this year, you'll forget you're supposed to be rooting for your team, and you'll be one of the people who wish we had lost to the jags last year. WISH WE HAD LOST. It gets too political and ridiculous when you start thinking this way.

Depends. Things seemed bad as possible going into this draft: McNabb failed, QB situation in question, very few draft picks...now we have tons of picks, filling needs, and feeling good. If we feel awful next year again, it's because we will have had another bad embarrassing year, and therefore, we'll be high in the draft, and able to get Luck perhaps. If not, then I'll say **** Luck, the team's on the right track and we'll not worry about ONE player, even if QB is the most important. It is, indeed, far to early to even think about because it's gonna skew your expectations for this year, you'll forget you're supposed to be rooting for your team, and you'll be one of the people who wish we had lost to the jags last year. WISH WE HAD LOST. It gets too political and ridiculous when you start thinking this way.

If we would of lost that game then we end up with the 6th pick and are in position to make that huge trade with Atlanta.

I just don't think it's too out of the question. The QB needy teams this year got their projects - some got them in the first round and others were early 2nd round. You just don't waste back to back 1st rounders on QB's unless you are in a position like the Panthers are with a new head coach.

I'm just saying I don't think its such a crazy scenario. If you really look at it, a lot of franchises have "their guy" right now. I think even if we're picking around 14-18 next year, we could still make a run at Luck and not have to fight off many other teams. And apparently he's worth throwing the farm at. It would be good timing for our franchise's rebuilding mode. The NFL has been a QB league for years and we're about the last team to come around and notice it. That might actually work out in our favor. EDIT - I think two simple things we can do next season is hope for Tebow and Colt McCoy to have very good years. Eliminates two more teams. One of the big things for me was seeing Harbough draft a QB for the 49ers. I honestly thought he was planning on tanking the season to get his former college QB...hell, he could still be planning on it.

I think its a little crazy from the stand point that it presumes that teams that took projects would rule out who Kiper says is Peyton Manning but with mobility. Harbaugh wouldn't take his former player because he drafted Kaepernick this year? Titans would be too in love with Locker to dare take Luck? The Vikings would stay away because of Ponder? Luck is way more touted than Newton nonetheless Carolina who took who the draft geeks said was the 2nd best QB prospect in the last draft, took Newton anyway. I think that philiospghy IMO goes double for Luck, if you have the be all and end all QB fall in your lap, I think few teams would pass him over because they have a potential project at QB or for that matter a decent but not special QB. Special QBs are rare finds. IMO

Carolina will be in the same spot next year looking to trade out, book it the next elway will be a skin in 2012.

It would be our luck that the 2012 doomsday stuff happens after we get our QB. Lol

Even if so we'd better hope we have a top 5 pick so our 1st and 2nd rounders are valuable otherwise it will likely go to a team with high picks, i doubt we would be the only team interested in Luck.

Even if Luck is as good as they say (and TBH he looks it), if you really think that Shanny will tank this year to make a run at him then write this down:

Betty Ford Center Alcohol Addiction and Drug Addiction Treatment Hospital

Call our Admissions Department for a confidential assessment

800 434-7365

You may need it.

Yes it would be nice to have a premier QB on the roster, but maybe you could check w/ Carson Palmer and see how many rings he has accumulated. Reaching a championship is more involved, more complicated and subtle a process than just banging your draft hardon against the keyboard for a QB prospect. No single player ever guarantees anything other than a huge % of cap space dedicated to one position. Peyton Manning has a large machine of competence built around him to allow his success, so does Brady. Neither one would have sniffed a SB here in recent years.

We've got a legitimate chance. Obviously Shanny didn't like any of the QB's in this years draft, so next year HAS to be the year he gets his QB of the future to groom. He won't go 3 years without getting a QB of the future.

The other obvious thing you can take away from this years draft and all the trading down is Shanny knows we have a ton of holes to fill and need an influx of youth. He's basically already conceded this upcoming year as rebuilding year.

I'm not saying he's going to tank, but, we will be rolling with a high number of young and inexperienced players this year. And if we happen, by chance, to lose a ton of games in this rebuilding season, we could luck into Luck.

I'd like someone to try to put into words how exactly we'll be a worse team than last year. Personnel-wise, and with an easier schedule to boot.

And I'd like to see if they could do it without going "uhh, uh.....but...we'll be starting Grossman!"

Because that seems to be the only thing anyone's got, there.

The skins can improve without winning more games. Shanny has the task of trying to change the culture and how this team has been built. It's going to take more than 1-2 seasons and we are only in year two with a work stoppage to boot. It wouldn't shock me at all if the skins took a step back for another year while younger players learn and get on the job training.

Do you really think this team is built to win now?

I don't. I think shanny/Allen are admitting to rebuild with their multiple trade downs in this draft.

If Shanny does what I hope he does and what I think he will do, we aren't going to win more then 3 games next year

That's what I'm talking about.

:cheers:

If we wanted Luck our draft trades this year would have been for pick NEXT YEAR. I don't think people understand that a sure thing QB would be drafted by just about every team that doesn't have a young great QB. Young and great. Both. That means the Colts? They'd take him. The Steelers? They'd take him. etc etc etc You don't pass on a young Peyton Manning unless you have a young Peyton Manning.

So I think I'm cheering for the Redskins and whoever Carolina is playing this year. Best thing that could happen would be for Carolina to get that pick.

And I never mentioned tanking the season. Its obvious Shanahan won't tank a game, let alone an entire season. We could finish at .500 or better and still be in the running to make this trade. We might want/need Luck more than anyone else, especially considering so many teams reached for QB's in the 1st and 2nd rounds this year.

Archived