Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much luck do we need to get....Luck?

HailToTheRedskins14

Which NFC East Team Has Had the Best Draft So Far?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Which NFC East Team Has Had the Best Draft So Far?

Pardon me for being about 365 days too early, but we all know about the QB situation. Now, we'll have to see what happens after the lockout is truly over, but I have a feeling we're going with either Sexy Rexy or McNabb, which does very little for us. Neither is our longterm franchise QB.

So with all the QB's going off the board in the 1st and 2nd rounds, I'm starting to think there won't be many QB-needy teams next year. Let me go ahead and predict an entire year's worth of football and list the teams that will not be considering QB's at all in the draft.

32 - Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers

31 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Ben Roethlesberger

30 - New York Jets - Mark Sanchez

29 - Chicago Bears - Jay Cutler

28 - New England Patriots - Tom Brady w/ a 3rd round Ryan Mallett

27 - Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco

26 - Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan

24 - New Orleans Saints - Drew Brees

23 - Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Vick, Kevin Kolb, I imagine they won't be looking for a QB with both of these guys currently on the roster

22 - Indianapolis Colts - Peyton Manning

20 - Tamp Bay Buccaneers - Josh Freeman

19 - New York Giants - SHEli Manning

18 - San Diego Chargers - Philip Rivers

14 - St. Louis Rams - Sam Bradford

13 - Detroit Lions - Matt Stafford

11 - Houston Texans - Matt Schaub

That eliminates 17/32 teams off the bat just by having franchise-calibre QB's in place (or at least thinking they do). Let's look at the remaining 14 teams :

Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals - drafted Andy Dalton in the 2nd round this year

Cleveland Browns - looks like Colt McCoy is better than expected in the NFL

Oakland Raiders

Denver Broncos - Tebow is a question mark but showed potential, maybe I'm alone but I don't think Orton is THAT bad...

San Francisco 49ers - drafted Colin Kaepernick (sp) in the 2nd round this year

Arizona Cardinals

Tennessee Titans - drafted Jake Locker in the 1st round this year

Dallas Cowgirls - they love them some Romo sits to pee but this could be a make or break year for him. Also look to have a solid backup who could get by as a starter.

Jacksonville Jaguars - Garrard is the starter and they have Gabbert from Mizzou who they invested a 1st round pick in

Minnesota Vikings - drafted Christian Ponder in the 1st round this year

Miami Dolphins

Seattle Seahawks

So if we eliminate those teams, it looks like the main competitors for the Luck sweepstakes are :

Arizona Cardinals (5-11 in 2010)

Miami Dolphins (7-9 in 2010)

Seattle Seahawks (7-9 in 2010)

Oakland Raiders (8-8 in 2010)

Buffalo Bills (4-12 in 2010)

Washington Redskins (6-10 in 2010)

I think we have a helluva chance at getting him without throwing/tanking the season. We might even be able to trade up for less than the Falcons did. If Carolina has the #1 pick we'd be in good shape to trade maybe a 1st, 2nd, and future 1st for him.

And I know this is way too early, and I know Luck could tank and not even get drafted this year, but at the moment he's as close to a sure thing as you'll get. I know we're a year away and its unpredictable...and I know some people are gonna get pissed I even brought this up.

BUT I'M FEELING LUCKY DAMMIT!

I just don't think it's too out of the question. The QB needy teams this year got their projects - some got them in the first round and others were early 2nd round. You just don't waste back to back 1st rounders on QB's unless you are in a position like the Panthers are with a new head coach.

I'm just saying I don't think its such a crazy scenario. If you really look at it, a lot of franchises have "their guy" right now. I think even if we're picking around 14-18 next year, we could still make a run at Luck and not have to fight off many other teams. And apparently he's worth throwing the farm at. It would be good timing for our franchise's rebuilding mode. The NFL has been a QB league for years and we're about the last team to come around and notice it. That might actually work out in our favor.

EDIT - I think two simple things we can do next season is hope for Tebow and Colt McCoy to have very good years. Eliminates two more teams. One of the big things for me was seeing Harbough draft a QB for the 49ers. I honestly thought he was planning on tanking the season to get his former college QB...hell, he could still be planning on it.

I think teams like Arizona, Miami, and Seattle could easily have better records than us. Oakland has traded away some of their ammo already. So, our main competition is probably Buffalo. I wouldn't count out the Lions. Stafford really hasn't done much of anything so far. He's living off of his draft slot and potential right now. He's always hurt. If he's knocked out again this season, I wouldn't be shocked if the Lions considered Luck..

I think teams like Arizona, Miami, and Seattle could easily have better records than us. I think Oakland has already traded away their first round pick to NE. So, our main competition is probably Buffalo. I wouldn't count out the Lions. Stafford really hasn't done much of anything so far. He's living off of his draft slot and potential right now. He's always hurt. If he's knocked out again this season, I wouldn't be shocked if the Lions considered Luck..

With that D the Lions will have at least 7 wins no matter who is behind Center.

Jeeeez. I could understand people wanting to tank the season after being eliminated from playoff contention, but this is just insane.

I'm not saying to tank the season, I'm saying we could finish better than we did this year and not have to fight many teams to try to move up.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 12:33 AM ----------

I think teams like Arizona, Miami, and Seattle could easily have better records than us. Oakland has traded away some of their ammo already. So, our main competition is probably Buffalo. I wouldn't count out the Lions. Stafford really hasn't done much of anything so far. He's living off of his draft slot and potential right now. He's always hurt. If he's knocked out again this season, I wouldn't be shocked if the Lions considered Luck..

I agree with Stafford and was going to mention that. Big year for him, so we'll have to cheer for him to have a good year.

Tebow, Stafford, and McCoy now on my list of QB's to cheer for....along with Grossman :S

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 12:35 AM ----------

Ya know we could be trying to get all of our young talent in this draft with all of those acquired picks and throw out a crazy trade to move up to the #1 slot next year.

I don't know how crazy it'd have to be. A 1st, 2nd, and future 1st might do it? Or add on another future 2nd?

2 1st's and 2 2nd's? I'd probably think long and hard about it depending on how this year turns out.

Obviously it's way to early to tell what our chances are and it's probably a long shot, but it's still definitely a possibility. Keep in mind, as of right now we have picks in every round plus an additional 4th for Campbell. My hope is that we are able to take some of our recently acquired picks in this years draft and find a way to parlay them into picks for next year. I'm sure we'll also trade a couple players during or after training camp who won't make the roster for additional picks. If we are able to stock pile enough draft picks for next year, we may have enough ammunition to move up, the same way the Atlanta Falcons did, and take Luck.

It also depends on how well he plays this year and if his stock value drops at all. Jim Harbaugh is gone so he'll be working with a new coach and most likely be in a new system. There's also a chance that if another QB plays well next season, he could shoot up the draft board ahead of Luck.

Again, it's a long shot, but not outside the realm of possibility. It will just depend on how everything plays out from now until next April and where we stand on draft day. In the meantime, all we can do is hope things work out for the best.

I agree with Stafford and was going to mention that. Big year for him, so we'll have to cheer for him to have a good year.

Tebow, Stafford, and McCoy now on my list of QB's to cheer for....along with Grossman :S

I completely forgot about Denver and Cleveland has some ammo now. I'd be happy with Luck or Barkley at this point, but there is no guarantee that the latter comes out next year.

I think our best chance of getting luck is for a team that just drafted a qb (probably have to be a first rd QB) within the last two years would need the top pick then we trade the house for him ....probably be an entire draft or close to it but idc I'm just so happy we didnt draft a qb this year it really shows our franchise is learning that we have to be patient

We don't need luck to get Luck.

All we need is to go 1-15.

But isn't SF already setting themselves up with 1st and 2nd rounders for next year? Harbaugh picked Kaepernick but who does he really want?

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 03:12 PM ----------

I would take a 2-14 season to get Andrew Luck. Yes it would be painful as hell, but im thinking future, Luck is going to be a pro bowl franchise qb

Painful?

What hasn't been painful since 1991? When you were like 3 or 4? LOL.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 03:15 PM ----------

Well lets hope we hear Shanahan start talking about "building for the future" key words for tanking and going for Luck next year. I'm all for it but do question whether he really wants to play in the NFL.

Well, if Rex is re-signed and starts this year it could happen. Besides Luck, next years draft has way better crop of franchise caliber QB's. We will have an opportunity to get a franchise signal caller next year no problem. Whoever it is next year, he will almost certainly be better than anyone we could have gotten this year. Who knows maybe the football gods smile down on us and we do get LUCKy!!!

We don't need luck to get Luck.

All we need is to go 1-15.

But isn't SF already setting themselves up with 1st and 2nd rounders for next year? Harbaugh picked Kaepernick but who does he really want?

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 03:12 PM ----------

Painful?

What hasn't been painful since 1991? When you were like 3 or 4? LOL.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 03:15 PM ----------

Well lets hope we hear Shanahan start talking about "building for the future" key words for tanking and going for Luck next year. I'm all for it but do question whether he really wants to play in the NFL.

Lol yeah I know, every season has been miserable. I just hope that if we dont do well this season that there isnt a lot of backlash against Shanahan and Allen, we need to give them some time to get this group out of the landfill that Vinny and Danny buried us in.

Its not too far of a strecth that we will be able to land Luck next year. I dont think it will happen but its not impossible. If Rex starts for us this year we will suck and most likely have a top 6 (top 10 at the least) pick next year and with teams getting QB's last year and this year there wont be as many teams that will be in the market for a QB. We will have extra picks and can come up with a package to move up to #1 spot and draft Luck. Its not impossible

Archived