Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much luck do we need to get....Luck?

HailToTheRedskins14

Which NFC East Team Has Had the Best Draft So Far?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Which NFC East Team Has Had the Best Draft So Far?

I still believe the Skins are 1-2 drafts away from being playoff contenders and it's not like shanny will be on the hot seat.

Skins could very well be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Snyder knows the importance of a franchise QB and after failed attempts to get Cutler, Sanchez and Bradford, Snyder will be all in to get this kid.

I'll trade one bad year for a franchise changing player like Andrew Luck. Especially after watching Shannahan navigate himself down the draft board today and end up with more draft picks than New England. If the Skins respect the draft like this for the next four years we are going to have some proud fans in Washington again.

there wont be as many teams that will be in the market for a QB. We will have extra picks and can come up with a package to move up to #1 spot and draft Luck. Its not impossible

Every team in the league will want Luck. It won't be cheap. We need to go 3-13 at best.

Its not too far of a strecth that we will be able to land Luck next year. I dont think it will happen but its not impossible. If Rex starts for us this year we will suck and most likely have a top 6 (top 10 at the least) pick next year and with teams getting QB's last year and this year there wont be as many teams that will be in the market for a QB. We will have extra picks and can come up with a package to move up to #1 spot and draft Luck. Its not impossible

We aren't going to be a worse team than this past season. Our schedule is easier, and we'll be bringing back everyone who matters. Other than that, we'll dump more age, and add more depth, as well as some rookie starters and role-players. And Grossman is capable of sustaining a mediocre offense, even with his mistakes.

Not to mention, you aren't going to see a Mike Shanahan coached team tank, or finish that close to the bottom of the league...not once he's had two offseasons to mold his team. Coaching counts for something in this league, and Shanahan is too good of a coach to finish that poorly. We'll always be at least mediocre. We just have to hope that smart drafting takes us over the hump and allows us to be consistently good or great, in another year or two. Otherwise, we'll always be stuck at "mediocre". Because Shanahan is too competent to field a terrible team, or not win with it.

I'll trade one bad year for a franchise changing player like Andrew Luck. Especially after watching Shannahan navigate himself down the draft board today and end up with more draft picks than New England. If the Skins respect the draft like this for the next four years we are going to have some proud fans in Washington again.

Salute.

The Colts could very well be in the market to draft a QB next year. They might even take one this year, in a later round. Manning is getting up there in age. Now would actually be a good time for them to start looking down the road. That appears what the Pats did by drafting Mallet.

I just can't help think that whoever owns the number 1 overall 2012 pick will be a QB needy team and nothing will make them trade. If this guy is as good as everyone is saying why would the worst team in the league pass him up?

The Colts could very well be in the market to draft a QB next year. They might even take one this year, in a later round. Manning is getting up there in age. Now would actually be a good time for them to start looking down the road. That appears what the Pats did by drafting Mallet.

This is one thing that should tell every fan how important a franchise QB is. The Colts sucked for decades under Irsay. They still can't get a complete team together and it's not different than it was in the 80's or 90's. The difference is they have P. Manning. Everything else is the same. They got a franchise QB, suddenly Marvin Harrison and any other WR they use is elite. They draft a receiver in rounds 1-3 and they pay off, guaranteed. They draft OL and they fit, TE's nobody wanted are in the Pro Bowl in Indy. Scrub RB's do well there, leave and suck, then come back.

it doesnt matter what happened this year. no matter what luck will go to whoever is #1 period. unless luck shows stuff in tape we havent seen yet and causes ppl to drop him. it wont be because teams wont need him. if they are picking #1 overall, their QB isnt perfect. unless like packers loose rodgers for year and get #1 pcik.

any team will dump dalton, locker, tebow, mccoy to get luck. panthers wont just cus they picked qb #1 overall but thats it

I just can't help think that whoever owns the number 1 overall 2012 pick will be a QB needy team and nothing will make them trade. If this guy is as good as everyone is saying why would the worst team in the league pass him up?

That's why I said we need to go 1-15 or 3-13 at best.

No team is going to want to trade Andrew Luck but I wonder if he really wants to be an NFL player. He chose to stay in college rather than go #1 this year guaranteed. He might just be a guy who has other things in mind.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 04:21 PM ----------

any team will dump dalton, locker, tebow, mccoy to get luck. panthers wont just cus they picked qb #1 overall but thats it

When Newton blows Carolina could pick Luck too.

They picked Clausen last year.

it doesnt matter what happened this year. no matter what luck will go to whoever is #1 period. unless luck shows stuff in tape we havent seen yet and causes ppl to drop him. it wont be because teams wont need him. if they are picking #1 overall, their QB isnt perfect. unless like packers loose rodgers for year and get #1 pcik.

The only one you're definitely wrong on is Locker. You don't pay an 8th overall salary and then draft a QB at #1....even if there is a rookie pay scale in place for next year.

The only way this changes is if THIS crop of QB's is signed under a rookie pay scale. Which is unlikely, but possible since they can't be signed until there's a new CBA anyways, most likely.

unless newton looks like the worst thing possible with no chance of coming back, i higghly doubt they go qb #1 overall two straight years. they could trade that pick and make a fortune. when you pick qb #1 overall you become commited to it for more than a year

unless newton looks like the worst thing possible with no chance of coming back, i higghly doubt they go qb #1 overall two straight years. they could trade that pick and make a fortune. when you pick qb #1 overall you become commited to it for more than a year

Exactly. No way in hell do the Panthers pick another QB next year. Not only did they pick Newton this year, they picked a couple of QBs in last year's draft (Clausen, Pike).

If somehow they ended up #1 again they would definitely trade the pick to a team that desperately needed a QB. And this is all predicated on Luck being the #1 pick next year. I think its way too early to think that far down the road. I mean, Locker's stock dropped tremendously when he came back and played last year. The Titans were fools to take him in the top 10.

Exactly. No way in hell do the Panthers pick another QB next year. Not only did they pick Newton this year, they picked a couple of QBs in last year's draft (Clausen, Pike).

If somehow they ended up #1 again they would definitely trade the pick to a team that desperately needed a QB. And this is all predicated on Luck being the #1 pick next year. I think its way too early to think that far down the road. I mean, Locker's stock dropped tremendously when he came back and played last year. The Titans were fools to take him in the top 10.

The Luck and Locker situation is completely different. People really need to stop comparing them. I understand they both went back to school after being touted as top QB prospects, but its nowhere close to the same, in any way at all.

Locker was touted so highly because of his potential. He had never actually produced at that point, but his potential was sky-high. Then he went back to school, and never actually met that potential. Never produced, or really improved. He happened to be drafted in the top-ten anyways by a team willing to bet big that they were the ones who could finally unlock his potential.

Luck isn't in that situation at all. He was so highly touted this year because he already HAS produced, and basically met his potential, as much as he can in college. Locker never did that. It wasn't shocking when Locker went back, because he needed it. Badly. It was shocking when Luck went back, because he's a polished prospect already.

Totally different situations.

I think there's a good chance the Patriots are already scheming to take Andrew Luck. Why?

1. They know that eventually they'll part ways with Brady.

2. Belichick will want to continue (or resume) winning Super Bowls and knows he'll need a top-tier franchise quarterback to do that, and another might not come around for a few years.

3. They now have two 1st round and two 2nd round picks for 2012, which would help them trade up even after a presumably successful season.

4. They did take Mallet in the third round today, but he has several question marks around him still. If he shows that he can be the next Tom Brady, they can spend those picks however they like (probably trade down again). But that's not likely. If Mallet doesn't show a LOT of progress / potential by next off-season, they have their backup plan in Luck.

No. They'll have way too much money invested in Newton.

Clausen was just a second rounder. That's different.

If he straight up tanks it, has incidents as predicted, then gets benched, draft comes around, Carolina #1, who do you go with? Carolina has a QB already, they need to go D. Like with Clausen, it was a debate but ultimately they still went with Newton even with all the questions. They will no doubt go for Luck if in position, just like every one else.

If he straight up tanks it, has incidents as predicted, then gets benched, draft comes around, Carolina #1, who do you go with? Carolina has a QB already, they need to go D. Like with Clausen, it was a debate but ultimately they still went with Newton even with all the questions. They will no doubt go for Luck if in position, just like every one else.

No, they won't. Because they'll likely have $60 million invested in Newton. They'll go D, or more likely, trade it to the highest bidder.

Now, if the rookie wage scale somehow retroactively effects this offseason, and Newton's MUCH cheaper, then it would be different. But that's not likely.

We aren't going to be a worse team than this past season. Our schedule is easier, and we'll be bringing back everyone who matters. Other than that, we'll dump more age, and add more depth, as well as some rookie starters and role-players. And Grossman is capable of sustaining a mediocre offense, even with his mistakes.

Not to mention, you aren't going to see a Mike Shanahan coached team tank, or finish that close to the bottom of the league...not once he's had two offseasons to mold his team. Coaching counts for something in this league, and Shanahan is too good of a coach to finish that poorly. We'll always be at least mediocre. We just have to hope that smart drafting takes us over the hump and allows us to be consistently good or great, in another year or two. Otherwise, we'll always be stuck at "mediocre". Because Shanahan is too competent to field a terrible team, or not win with it.

He fielded a terrible team this year. If Grossman is the QB we will suck dont even get your hopes up. Only way we are mediocre at best is if we sign alot of good free agents whenever free agency starts. Our D might help us out a lil bit but i expect the offense to be bad especially if Grossman and Torrain start at QB and RB.

If Luck continues on his current path no one will move out of the #1 spot.

Scouts are calling him the next Brady/Manning whatever, basically they're drooling over him. If he has a good year, the team with the #1 pick will draft him no matter what.. Even if its Carolina, they'll trade Newton and get Luck. That's how crazy the scouts are about this guy. So we either tank it and lose everything or we're not getting him. I'd put money on it, unless Luck has a bad year or gets injured I don't think he'll end up here.

The Luck and Locker situation is completely different. People really need to stop comparing them. I understand they both went back to school after being touted as top QB prospects, but its nowhere close to the same, in any way at all.

Locker was touted so highly because of his potential. He had never actually produced at that point, but his potential was sky-high. Then he went back to school, and never actually met that potential. Never produced, or really improved. He happened to be drafted in the top-ten anyways by a team willing to bet big that they were the ones who could finally unlock his potential.

Luck isn't in that situation at all. He was so highly touted this year because he already HAS produced, and basically met his potential, as much as he can in college. Locker never did that. It wasn't shocking when Locker went back, because he needed it. Badly. It was shocking when Luck went back, because he's a polished prospect already.

Totally different situations.

I do agree with you on this

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 02:52 AM ----------

Theres no way Carolina takes Luck #1 next year. Too much money into Cam and theres a chance Cam wont even play this year to do bad like all of you think he will. And if he does stink it up they still wont draft Luck because they arent going to give up on Cam that quick. And I dont believe Cam will stink it up.

He fielded a terrible team this year. If Grossman is the QB we will suck dont even get your hopes up. Only way we are mediocre at best is if we sign alot of good free agents whenever free agency starts. Our D might help us out a lil bit but i expect the offense to be bad especially if Grossman and Torrain start at QB and RB.

That "bad team" was still 6-10 and in nearly every game. It will only get better with a weaker schedule and a better, younger roster with more depth. I'm not getting my hopes up, its just the reality with Shanahan. Yes, even with Grossman.

That's my point. We've already had our worst year under Shanahan, and the worst that it can be from this point forward is mediocre. Not bad enough to get Luck.

Luck is a Peyton Manning/Philip Rivers type prospect. I can't think of many QBs over the past 15 years who I'd draft ahead of him.

He is literally a once in a decade or more type prospect and is a natural fit in the Skins offense.

I'll be watching college ball very closely this year and will be very shocked if Luck has a down year and isn't drafted top 5 next year.

That "bad team" was still 6-10 and in nearly every game. It will only get better with a weaker schedule and a better, younger roster with more depth. I'm not getting my hopes up, its just the reality with Shanahan. Yes, even with Grossman.

That's my point. We've already had our worst year under Shanahan, and the worst that it can be from this point forward is mediocre. Not bad enough to get Luck.

We've been in nearly every game for the last 15 years thats nothing new. I dont believe we will do anything If Grossman is QB. We may end up 8-8 at best depending on the draft and free agency...ill be able to tell you for sure after seeing what moves we make in free agency. I have no faith in Shannahan...I like him as coach but not GM. He has already made mistakes with the roster in just 1 year. Ill admit that im somewhat pleased with how he has handled the draft so far, I would of taken Marvin Austin in the 2nd and we may regret passing on Quinn and Fairley but i think Kerrigan will be decent and we gained more picks so its a wash, but overall he has not done good in his short time here.

Like I said ill wait until after free agency to say how good we'll be for sure. As of right now i think the ceiling is 8-8 which I dont think is likely.

No, they won't. Because they'll likely have $60 million invested in Newton. They'll go D, or more likely, trade it to the highest bidder.

Now, if the rookie wage scale somehow retroactively effects this offseason, and Newton's MUCH cheaper, then it would be different. But that's not likely.

Yeah, the other poster is missing the point about how much they will have invested in Newton. No way they go QB again. Even if its Luck. Plus their owner is a known cheapskate. He's not about to invest that much money in QBs in back-to-back seasons. Especially when he could dangle the #1 pick out there. The return for that pick would be through the roof (provided Luck doesn't have any setbacks).

Archived