Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSNBC: Killer's quest: Allow organ donation after execution

adam@section118

An Oregon death row inmate is mounting an aggressive behind-bars campaign to donate his organs after he’s executed, in part to repay society for the gruesome murders of his wife and three young children.

Christian Longo, 37, says he wants to do more to take responsibility for killing his family and dumping their bodies in coastal bays nearly a decade ago than simply accepting execution by lethal injection.

“Why go out and waste your organs when you have the potential to go out and save six to 12 lives?” reasons Longo, whose voice is measured and articulate on the phone from Oregon State Penitentiary cell DRU31 in Salem.

His request to drop his appeals in exchange for being allowed to donate organs has been flatly denied by state corrections officials, who refuse to negotiate with a killer. It’s been denounced in principle as “morally reprehensible” by the nation’s organ donation officials and medical ethicists.

More at the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42667886/ns/health-health_care

I don't see the problem.. he has dropped his appeal, and wants to donate, and has been flatly denied because they won't "negotiate with a killer"?

What's to negotiate?

Are they insisting on spending taxpayer dollars to force this admitted killer to appeal his sentence?

Or do they just not want his kidneys helping anyone? Do they think if someone gets a transplant of his spleen they will become murderers too?

Honestly, how ****ing stupid.

Maybe if Oregon's legislatue would stop planning Rick Rolls, they might actually do something smart.

~Bang

If he wants to donate and someone wants to accept it, I don't see what the problem is here.

I could see an issue if the recipient had some sort of problem taking the organ of a murderer, and I could see the state being afraid of looking like they're putting people to death so they can harvest their organs rather than have their organs go to waste rotting in jail.

I can see ethical problems, but the guy is requesting to donate his organs, and it could help people...if someone doesn't mind having the kidney of a killer in their body, whats the problem?

I see huge potential problems... I guess no one here saw the 1991 classic, "Body Parts" starring the indomitable Jeff Fahey? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101492/

Jeff was happy to get a new arm after a tragic accident... little did he know that it WAS THE ARM OF A KILLER - pieced out by a greedy prison warden... he finds out quickly that the arm is prone to KILLING, just like its original owner... and dont even ask about the poor sap who got the killers legs....

Can you imagine getting the heart of a murderer?

PASS.

I see huge potential problems... I guess no one here saw the 1991 classic, "Body Parts" starring the indomitable Jeff Fahey? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101492/

Jeff was happy to get a new arm after a tragic accident... little did he know that it WAS THE ARM OF A KILLER - pieced out by a greedy prison warden... he finds out quickly that the arm is prone to KILLING, just like its original owner... and dont even ask about the poor sap who got the killers legs....

Can you imagine getting the heart of a murderer?

PASS.

Pass away, you mean.

~Bang

The opposition seems to be that condemned inmates might be coerced into donating against their will. There's the specter of death row as an organ harvesting operation. But that's a problem that can be avoided easily enough by documenting informed consent.

This from the article elicited a :doh: from me:

"Ironically, a survey of organ transplant centers nationwide reveals that while taking organs from executed inmates is prohibited, accepting organs from inmates who die of other causes while in custody is permitted, although rarely and under strict circumstances.

Longo probably has a better chance of donating his liver if he's injured or has a stroke in prison and dies later at a local hospital."

Kind of off-topic, but if you have a large penis, can those be donated/transplanted to someone who has a small penis and desires a larger one ?

BTW a special note to everyone... Please don't google this trying to find the answer

Archived