Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDNews: Tea Partiers Don't Like Medicaid, Medicare Cuts

DRSmith

The government-blasting Tea Party doesn't want any changes to two of the government's biggest programs. The vast majority of Tea Party supporters - 70% - oppose cuts to Medicare and Medicaid, a new McClatchy-Marist poll found

The poll revealed 92% of Democrats, 73% of Republicans and 75% of independents also oppose the cuts.

That's bad news for Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who unveiled a sweeping 2012 federal budget proposal earlier this month that would slash the budget deficit by about $6.2 trillion over the next decade.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2011/04/tea-partiers-dont-like-medicaid-medicare-cuts

What a bad day for Ryan people like government programs and want the taxes on the rich raised guy even got booed at his town hall.

Maybe there is hope for the US yet

Reminds me of that article someone posted last summer,, in which the reporter wandered thru the Tea Party crowd noting all of the medicare recipients and people bound to their gov't funded scooters screaming that the gov't is spending too much money.

As was surmised in the article (and steadfastly argued against by the cons as I recall), these people dont really want government cuts. because as is evident, they will not cut their own programs.

Cut spending!

Just not the stuff I benefit from.

The only thing the Tea Party really wants to cut is Democrats out of power. That's it! Anything else is just a bunch of bull**** to get you into bed with them.

"Grass roots movement" my foot.

:ols:

I only laugh because it is so ****ing pathetic there's nothing left to do.

Also, I'll note that this isn't exclusive to the Tea Party, they just scream their hypocrisy louder so are noticed more.

I've been saying all along that it's not government SPENDING that is the problem, it's those demanding and accepting the money that is the problem, and no matter how much anyone PRETENDS to want to cut spending, when it comes to actually cinching the belt and doing without, I believe we current Americans are too cowardly and WAY too selfish to do it.

No one wants to be inconvenienced by the debt everyone screams about paying down.

Lik e I've been saying all along.... it's iInteresting how this debt issue has been around for more than 30 years, but this movement only happens now.

Any guesses as to why?

It's as transparent as Saran Wrap.

~Bang

Reminds me of that article someone posted about six months ago,, in which the reporter wandered thru the Tea Party crowd noting all of the medicare recipients and people bound to their gov't funded scooters.

As was surmised in the article (and steadfastly argued against by the cons as I recall), these people dont really want government cuts. because as is evident, they dont want to cut their own programs.

Cut spending!

Just not the stuff I benefit from.

The only thing the Tea Party really wants to cut is Democrats out of office.

"Grass roots movement" my foot.

:ols:

I only laugh because it is so ****ing pathetic there's nothing left to do.

~Bang

EVERYONE is for government cuts...until it comes to something they use. This trait isn't limited to the Tea Party, The Liberals, or the GOP.

Just look at some of the posters here. They were A-ok with furloughs at the state level, but when it comes to them possibly being furloughed in a government shut down, it was panic time.

EVERYONE is for government cuts...until it comes to something they use. This trait isn't limited to the Tea Party, The Liberals, or the GOP.

Just look at some of the posters here. They were A-ok with furloughs at the state level, but when it comes to them possibly being furloughed in a government shut down, it was panic time.

(I amended)

You know, when the week of the shutdown was looming, I recall watching local news and seeing all the 'man on the street' interviews, and all of them were scared, mad, the usual litany of displeasure over the situation.

And i wondered how many of them voted for this, and are now finding out just what all these cuts actually mean?

It sure is fun to go to a rally and feel empowered by a bunch of people yelling the same thing. But it would likely be wise to listen to what is actually being said.

We are a fractured people.. we as a whole think of very little beyond that which is in arm's reach.

~Bang

for all the posturing about values and freedom, they really only care about one thing -- lower taxes. but they aren't willing to make any sacrafices of their OWN interests in order to get it.

Lower taxes on the rich,, because as you and I both know,, we lowly peons will never ever be able to survive without them creating minimum wage jobs for us.

Isn't everyone thrilled that McDonalds is hiring?

:jerk:

~Bang

We are a fractured people.. we as a whole think of very little beyond that which is in arm's reach.

~Bang

Which is usually why I tune out the "tax the rich more" and "the rich are taxed too much" cries. Everyone wants someone else to shoulder the burden. They don't care "who", just as long as it isn't them or affect "their" program. Meanwhile, nothing ever really changes.

I'm far from rich. I'm likely lower middle class. I'll pay more in taxes. I won't like it, but if they increase it, so be it. Just as long as they decrease federal spending at the same time.

Which is usually why I tune out the "tax the rich more" and "the rich are taxed too much" cries. Everyone wants someone else to shoulder the burden. They don't care "who", just as long as it isn't them or affect "their" program. Meanwhile, nothing ever really changes.

I'm far from rich. I'm likely lower middle class. I'll pay more in taxes. I won't like it, but if they increase it, so be it. Just as long as they decrease federal spending at the same time.

You sound like me.

We're in the same boat, and about the same page.

~Bang

Well, at least until the bills come due. Those chickens will come home to roost eventually. Just ask the Greeks.

You mean the greeks who take laid back approach to making sure their revenues were going to match their outlays?

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 09:28 AM ----------

DRS,

Are you an american living in canada, or just a canadian with an obsession for American politics?

Half American living in Canada all of my mothers family lives in the US

As I've said a million times, the GOP has run one of the most fascinating cons in political history. It has created a base of voters largely dependent on the Government who hate the Government.

The typical Republican voter in the South Carolina primary is making $33K a year, is getting an Earned Income Tax Credit, has a mama on Medicare, has a kid in Title I, and will be largely reliant on Social Security for their retirement. And his biggest issue is tax cuts that won't impact him and cutting spending except on those things he relies upon.

As I've said a million times' date=' the GOP has run one of the most fascinating cons in political history. It has created a base of voters largely dependent on the Government who hate the Government.

The typical Republican voter in the South Carolina primary is making $33K a year, is getting an Earned Income Tax Credit, has a mama on Medicare, has a kid in Title I, and will be largely reliant on Social Security for their retirement. And his biggest issue is tax cuts that won't impact him and cutting spending except on those things he relies upon.[/quote']

All the Republicans had to do was protect the gun rights of rednecks and they secured millions of voters. Brilliant.

I'm trying to read without posting, but I have to ask are those REAL posters, especially the one about socialized medicine.

yup these are real. In fact, I saw two teabggers protesting outside the post office on tax day with posters just like these.

As I've said a million times' date=' the GOP has run one of the most fascinating cons in political history. It has created a base of voters largely dependent on the Government who hate the Government.

[/quote']

How's that different from the Dem base, a class of people dependent on Government who refuse to pay for Government?

I'm trying to read without posting, but I have to ask are those REAL posters, especially the one about socialized medicine.

Those were all the rage two years ago when Obama wanted to provide more people with access to health care. Now that Paul Ryan wants to limit who has access to medicare, they are blase.

Are you confused?

The Democratic party is largely tax and spend.

How many times did taxes go up when the Dems won back Congress in 2006? When was the last time the Dems controlled either chamber of Congress and revenues equaled or exceeded outlays? They talk about taxing the rich, but won't do it, the same way the GOP talks about cutting spending, but won't do that, either.

How's that different from the Dem base, a class of people dependent on Government who refuse to pay for Government?

They're not any different at all in that respect, mostly it's the social aspects of the two parties that they disagree with. I'm always confused as to why Kentucky with as many people who are on Medicare and Medicaid continually vote Republican, my mother in law is one of them. She's on permanent disability, been drawing SSI for years, and has her medical paid for through Medicare and yet she's still thinks that Rand Paul is the perfect person for the Senate. :doh:

Archived