Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What "should" people working in different professions be paid?

Teller

By definition, ALL people are paid what they are worth to society.

This assumes honesty of an incredible degree. It's downright utopianist.

Right now, with the unemployment situation... employers have many really qualified applicants over a barrel and many are forced to take positions or salaries that should be beneath them.

Right now, with the unemployment situation... employers have many really qualified applicants over a barrel and many are forced to take positions or salaries that should be beneath them.

Is being unemployed beneath these same people?

probably is... but would you see that a PhD in economics or a guy with ten years IT experience is only worth a minimum wage job? He or she may be glad of it and if it's what they can find then it is welcome, but is that what they are "worth"

If that same guy takes a job in their field, but is only offered entry salary because the employer knows they can get away with it... is that what the employee is "worth"

Sometimes people get screwed. Maybe that's what the market deems their worth to be, but I look at it differently.

Is being unemployed beneath these same people?

Better than being a slave

During the recession in the 90's I was coming out of high school and lived in a small town, I applied for job in a coffee shop, during the interview process I was asked about my situation ie married single lived on my own or with family and any kids. Then I was told I did not have the job even though I had plenty of experience and the reason given to me was my situation the owner of the shop only wanted people who were so desperate for a job they would do whatever they were told even it if violated labour laws. He wanted people afraid to complain for fear of losing a job they needed so bad.

Now you have folks that work like that and are paid less than minimum wage for fear of being turned ino immigration in some cases because they are illegal which drives down wages.

During the recession in the 90's I was coming out of high school and lived in a small town, I applied for job in a coffee shop, during the interview process I was asked about my situation ie married single lived on my own or with family and any kids. Then I was told I did not have the job even though I had plenty of experience and the reason given to me was my situation the owner of the shop only wanted people who were so desperate for a job they would do whatever they were told even it if violated labour laws. He wanted people afraid to complain for fear of losing a job they needed so bad.

Now you have folks that work like that and are paid less than minimum wage for fear of being turned ino immigration in some cases because they are illegal which drives down wages.

They should have been turned into the labor board.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 08:18 PM ----------

I have a person working for me right now that is worth more than I pay her. Buisiness in this economy has not been great so I can't afford to give her a raise right now, fortunatly she understands and is willing to wait until things are better,and for this i am grateful.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 08:19 PM ----------

I have a person working for me right now that is worth more than I pay her. Buisiness in this economy has not been great so I can't afford to give her a raise right now, fortunatly she understands and is willing to wait until things are better,and for this i am grateful.

Then I was told I did not have the job even though I had plenty of experience and the reason given to me was my situation the owner of the shop only wanted people who were so desperate for a job they would do whatever they were told even it if violated labour laws. He wanted people afraid to complain for fear of losing a job they needed so bad.

I despise people like that and unfortunately there are plenty of employers like him out there. I never understood that mentality and never will. You get much more out of employees by treating them well. You get burned on occasion, but IMO it is a far wiser approach.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 08:52 AM ----------

Why? Is a great pair of tits less valuable than a jump shot?

For me it's news anchor that is vastly overpaid

lol, so he told you that or you assumed? i think it would be illegal for him to do that. ever think it was due to the fact they wanted someone with less ties to keep them away from work? and coming out of highschool you had plenty of experience? how? I bounced from job to job to job in hs because of my friends, that didn't equal experience, but i had 5 different jobs from 15 - 18, how would someone coming out of high school claim they have experience, lol

also, the recession of the 90's? really? are you comparing that to the current recession? and you're in canada?

Which makes their value at that point in time exactly what they are being paid, right? If they were worth more, they would get more. And I'm only speaking of professional worth, all of us are special, of course.

Which makes their value at that point in time exactly what they are being paid, right? If they were worth more, they would get more. And I'm only speaking of professional worth, all of us are special, of course.

I don't think so if for no other reason than they haven't tested the world wide market for their skillset. For example, is a bank teller in North Dakota's value, skillset, or ability demonstrably lower than a bankteller's value in upstate New York? They're going to be paid differently, but that pay is decided by factors outside of the person or even the job they are in. It's too simplistic a statement for it to be true.

If you think athletes and actors are paid too much, stop giving them money. That's what I've done, I don't pay a cent of money into professional sports anymore.

uhm.. you just contributed a hit to the official website of professional sports organization to make that point... right?

lol, so he told you that or you assumed? i think it would be illegal for him to do that. ever think it was due to the fact they wanted someone with less ties to keep them away from work? and coming out of highschool you had plenty of experience? how? I bounced from job to job to job in hs because of my friends, that didn't equal experience, but i had 5 different jobs from 15 - 18, how would someone coming out of high school claim they have experience, lol

also, the recession of the 90's? really? are you comparing that to the current recession? and you're in canada?

The manager told me and the baker I got to know told me the same thing, the guy used to have him bake donuts and not put icing on them so he could save more money by feeding them to his kids, I started working full time at 15 and kept going to school one job I ad my final year of high school was working full time midnights in another coffee shop in town. I worked alot in the late 80s my dad lost his job and my mom got really sick so I worked to help out.

And yeah when you are in a small town and tough times hit your choices are limited

The manager told me and the baker I got to know told me the same thing, the guy used to have him bake donuts and not put icing on them so he could save more money by feeding them to his kids, I started working full time at 15 and kept going to school one job I ad my final year of high school was working full time midnights in another coffee shop in town. I worked alot in the late 80s my dad lost his job and my mom got really sick so I worked to help out.

And yeah when you are in a small town and tough times hit your choices are limited

fair enough, i'm not learned on the labor laws of canada, but people like that should be reported. do you know if he ever was?

Archived