Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What "should" people working in different professions be paid?

Teller

Periodically we all have discussions about people not being "worth" what they get paid, or other people who are "worth" a lot more than they get paid.

I realize there's a lot more that goes into salaries than most people realize. I've always argued that pro athletes often make their owners a lot more money than they even get. But I also argue that teachers, nurses, cops, fire fighters and the like, should be paid more than they are, because of the service they provide to our society.

In this thread, share what you think members of certain professions would be paid in your ideal world. Support your figure if you choose, or wait till you get called out on it. :)

I think for the most part that this is a nearly impossible question to answer unless it is done within the regional contexts simply because the cost of living so greatly varies from one region to the next. For instance the median wage for a Registered Nurse in Lexington, KY is $59,495. Whereas the median wage for a Registered Nurse in Santa Barbara, CA is $69,856, and in Fairbanks, AK it is $74,809. Washington D.C. it is $71,029, nearly a $20k or 30% spread all depending on location.

It's so hard to compute, but I'd increase the wages of those who put their lives at risk for others. Firemen, policemen, EMT, Nurses, soldiers, marines, etc. and reduce the wages of "stars" be they in entertainment or in sports. It frustrates me to no end that so many that risk his life for his country can return from theater and find themselves homeless esp. when I compare them to an absolute bum like Albert Haynesworth. I'd also like drop the wage of CEOs and up some of their workers' wages. Heck, what CEO really has done 7 or 8 figures worth of work esp. when they have to slash the payrole buy millions and lay thousands off? I wouldn't mind puncturing a bunch of golden parachutes either.

Everyone is paid what they're worth. Worth (to me) is defined by what someone will pay you, so if you're paid it, you're worth it. Attempting to apply a personal lens or sense of morality to a salary isn't possible considering everyone's experience and circumstances are different. It just is-what-it-is.

Even the CEO who makes a ton of money is worth it. I never understood the CEO salary heartburn. If the board thinks that paying top dollar to attract the best talent to manage a large company is appropriate, then so be it. Who are we to abstractly define what someone is worth?

Everyone is paid what they're worth. Worth (to me) is defined by what someone will pay you, so if you're paid it, you're worth it. Attempting to apply a personal lens or sense of morality to a salary isn't possible considering everyone's experience and circumstances are different. It just is-what-it-is.

Even the CEO who makes a ton of money is worth it. I never understood the CEO salary heartburn. If the board thinks that paying top dollar to attract the best talent to manage a large company is appropriate, then so be it. Who are we to abstractly define what someone is worth?

I disagree entirely. A person's worth has nothing to do with what they are paid, what's more is how can a person's worth be judged? Is a CEO worth more than a paramedic? I guess that all depends on your situation, if you're sitting in the board room looking to make money then no, but if you've just been in a car accident and you need immediate medical attention or you're going to die then my guess is that you'd pay that paramedic anything you could afford. The point is that "worth" as you use it is entirely relative and has nothing to do with the person, but instead has much more to do with the resources available to the company to acquire the types of talents that they want. An ambulance company doesn't have the same resources as a Fortune 500 company as such they paramedics aren't paid as much, that doesn't mean they are worth less...just ask the guy bleeding out his ears.

I agree with you to an extent. Guys like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Warren Buffet are capable of creating multi-billion dollar empires and turning around failing companies. Every board would gladly pay tens of millions of dollars to a CEO if he/she could increase the value of the company by hundreds of millions of dollars.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is that many C-suite compensation packages encourage officers to pump up stock prices in the short term, when their primary objective should be to maximize shareholder value over the long term. The good news is that activist shareholders are putting pressure on board compensation committees to align the interests of the shareholders and officers by reforming officer compensation.

Another problem, at least in the eyes of many stockholders, is that officers who run companies into the ground oftentimes walk away with extremely lucrative severance packages. Boards will respond to criticism about severance packages by saying that, to attract top talent, they oftentimes have to offer “downside protection” to officer candidates (i.e., good severance packages).

Albert Haynesworth is paid what he's worth? On what metric? If Albert were being paid what he was worth he would be playing for free and sending a check to each and every Redskin fan. There are lots of people who are not paid what they are "worth" A slotted pay system ensures that. We also have a perverse and sometimes backwards system of value in the U.S. where we compensate those who contribute least to the society at the highest rate and crap on those who really bare the load.

When did we become communists? After we decide what people should make can we start assigning jobs to people too?

The answer to "how much should you make" is "as much as you can negotiate". The pros and cons are simple, the less you make the smaller the target on your back. Highly paid non essential staff are the first to get a closer look when times are tough. Being that jobs rarely offer raises based on performance that MATCH performance asking for too little initially will lengthen the road to reaching high pay unless you get a new job title and pay that matches it (not always the case). Typically if you did well you'll get a modest raise at best unless you work in a position directly tied to revenue and they can't risk losing you. Usually he best way to go about it IMO is to try to figure out what the average person in that field makes in that area and then honestly assess your own qualification and ability. If you are great and highly qualified ask for more for example.

Sites like salary.com help.

I agree with SA and don't get why people are any different than houses or other items. If someone is willing to pay you $1M for your house, your house becomes worth $1M (at least to you at that time). The same goes with people in jobs...if everyone in the world believe that my skills are worth $50K per year, but one company/person thinks I'm worth $80K, then that's what I'm worth.

Yeah...Worth is judged by individuals.

I don't collect anything. I buy the things I like because I want them. Sometimes things cost what they cost. Other times things are simply not worth it to me.

I would rather have 2 Bentleys, 2 Ferrari's, 2 Rolls, 2 Lamborghini's, and a Geo Metro, with about a mil left to spend instead of one Bugatti Veyron.

I disagree entirely. A person's worth has nothing to do with what they are paid, what's more is how can a person's worth be judged? Is a CEO worth more than a paramedic? I guess that all depends on your situation, if you're sitting in the board room looking to make money then no, but if you've just been in a car accident and you need immediate medical attention or you're going to die then my guess is that you'd pay that paramedic anything you could afford. The point is that "worth" as you use it is entirely relative and has nothing to do with the person, but instead has much more to do with the resources available to the company to acquire the types of talents that they want. An ambulance company doesn't have the same resources as a Fortune 500 company as such they paramedics aren't paid as much, that doesn't mean they are worth less...just ask the guy bleeding out his ears.

Yea, I hear ya. Using the term "worth" probably derailed the thought. Certainly paramedics, teachers and others who don't make a ton of money are "worth" as much, or maybe more to society than some others making more money. I suppose then that "worth" and what people "should" be paid are different things.

Yea, I hear ya. Using the term "worth" probably derailed the thought. Certainly paramedics, teachers and others who don't make a ton of money are "worth" as much, or maybe more to society than some others making more money. I suppose then that "worth" and what people "should" be paid are different things.

Agreed, I'm one who thinks that people "should" get paid what they are "worth" to society. ;)

I took this thread in a much more philosophical way.

In practical terms, people are "worth" what the market will bare. If I were to rebuild the world and our value structures there would be certain jobs or skillsets that would be more highly prized and worth more.

I think the school teacher example is a good one to explore.

They teach, mold, and shape our children every day which presumably impacts our future. This would seem like a very important and valuable task, and as such should be performed by the best we have to offer. Why then do they make so little money?

I'm willing to pay higher (property) taxes to attract better teaching candidates, but I don't think that's a very popular opinion.

I think the school teacher example is a good one to explore.

They teach, mold, and shape our children every day which presumably impacts our future. This would seem like a very important and valuable task, and as such should be performed by the best we have to offer. Why then do they make so little money?

I'm willing to pay higher (property) taxes to attract better teaching candidates, but I don't think that's a very popular opinion.

Because we don't really value education, oh we say we do, but we're not willing to really fund it as a people. Individuals may value it, but as a whole we'd rather property tax money be in our pockets so we can buy a new car.

Because we don't really value education, oh we say we do, but we're not willing to really fund it as a people. Individuals may value it, but as a whole we'd rather property tax money be in our pockets so we can buy a new car.

Maybe I'm projecting my own opinions on the general public, but I think people would be willing to pay more, provided they got a better product. Many schools and teachers are fantastic, but an unacceptable number of them aren't cutting it. Of course, maybe they're not meeting our expectations because we're not providing them with adequate funding.

Archived