Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

48÷2(9+3)=?????

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I am hoping the answer 2 will come to light soon, but judging by the majority of the answers on here I don't know if it ever will and you people are going to actually think you got the right answer....WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SPLITING THE 2 FROM (9+3)???...THAT IS THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY AND YOU CAN'T DO THAT...

Honestly, I'm gonna mainly chalk this up to terrible notation. the use of a division symbol instead of a "/" is what causes the confusion.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 01:06 AM ----------

Sheer luck.

**** you

This is true, throwing in the ÷ instead of / confuses people who have studied higher math. In higher math, we never use ÷. I'm pretty sure its 288, but I'm not 100% sure. There are still many people who believe its 2, so I have to consider their opinions somewhat valid.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 01:10 AM ----------

Honestly, I'm gonna mainly chalk this up to terrible notation. the use of a division symbol instead of a "/" is what causes the confusion.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 01:06 AM ----------

Sheer luck.

**** you

This is true, throwing in the ÷ instead of / confuses people who have studied higher math. In higher math, we never use ÷. I'm pretty sure its 288, but I'm not 100% sure. There are still many people who believe its 2, so I have to consider their opinions somewhat valid.

I am hoping the answer 2 will come to light soon, but judging by the majority of the answers on here I don't know if it ever will and you people are going to actually think you got the right answer....WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SPLITING THE 2 FROM (9+3)???...THAT IS THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY AND YOU CAN'T DO THAT...

It's order of operations.

Parentheses

Divide/Multiply from left to right.

Add/Subtract from left to right.

With that said, again, you add the 9+3 since they're in parentheses. That's 12. There are no more parentheses. You're equation now looks like this: 48+2(12).

Then, you do division/multiplication from left to right which means you divide the 48 by 2 and get 24. That leaves you with 24(12) which is 288.

You're welcome. I won't even charge for this tutoring session.

Nope, I know the order of operations. It's basic high school math.

Exactly, you always do what's in the parentheses first then that solution remains in the parentheses and then the solution outside is multiplied by the number in the parentheses, heck I barely passed Algebra II and even I remember that much.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 01:18 AM ----------

Why would the use of ÷ throw people off? It means divide the same as / does.

new problem is the integral of 0=0 or a constant? we were calculating flux or some **** i dunno in class and got stuck on that. So what is it?

remember, integral is the anti-derivative. so the integral of a constant is that constant * x (assuming it's w.r.t x). so the integral of 4dx is 4x. and the integral of 0dx is 0x...or 0.

what if it is a closed integral? it would be 0? Right?

see my edit. had a bit of a brain fart.

remember, integral is the anti-derivative. so the integral of a constant is that constant * x (assuming it's w.r.t x). so the integral of 4dx is 4x. and the integral of 0dx is 0x...or 0.

Edit: and yes, it'd still be 0 on a closed interval, since anything you plug in to x in 0*x will still be 0.

ASF, I think that symbol is not used as much anymore. Jeez, old guy. :silly:

They don't use the division symbol anymore? Next you're going to tell me they've stopped using the letter Q. My third grade son is learning division and they use that symbol, and I was a math flunky and I knew that ÷ and / mean the same thing.

Seriously, I have no idea why they would not understand that symbol.

Yeah, that's basic math, and all these math wizards not understanding what ÷ means is like a geologist forgetting what granite looks like. Crack a textbook fellas.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 01:28 AM ----------

see my edit. had a bit of a brain fart.

Edit: and yes, it'd still be 0 on a closed interval, since anything you plug in to x in 0*x will still be 0.

I'm pretty sure you just said something raunchy about my mother...and personally I don't care for your attitude!

Archived