Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

48÷2(9+3)=?????

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

if you enter the problem exactly how it is written in the original post into a graphing calculator, the answer is 2. i suggest you do this if you cant do it in your head...you got the second problem with the answer 5 right so i am confused how you are getting this one wrong.

you have to multiply 2(12) before dividing.

No, because PEMDAS means (MD) reads from left to right regardless of order. So when its 24/2(12), it means 48/2*2*12

With Order of operations from left to right, since its all multiplication and division, 48/2 is 24, multiplied by 2 is 48, multiplied by 12 is 288

you have to multiply 2(12) before dividing.

No, think of it like this: [48(9+3)]/2

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 02:49 AM ----------

if you enter the problem exactly how it is written in the original post into a graphing calculator, the answer is 2..

You need to get your money back. I entered the problem exactly how it's written into my TI-89, and it gave me 288.

why the hell am i thinking of it in that order when the problem states something totally different?

You need to get your money back. I entered the problem exactly how it's written into my TI-89, and it gave me 288.

first i dont know why the hell im writing it as that when the problem is different. and second i literally just typed it in as how the problem is originally written and it said 2 which is what I thought it was before soooo yeah. whatever.

Because, like Cheifininonhaze said, you have to think of the 48 and (9+3) being in the numerator and the 2 being in the denominator. 48/2*12 = 48/2*12/1 = (48*12)/(2*1) = 576/2 = 288.

but the damn problem isnt written like that. ****.

48/2(9+3) =

48/2(12)=

48/24=2

you have to distribute that 2 before you divide. distributing is a part of the parentheses portion of PEMDAS...believe what you want oh well

exactly so it must mean () and [] don't mean the same thing

because if you try 16 ÷ 2(8-3(4-2)) + 1 it does not equal 16 ÷ 2[8-3(4-2)] + 1, according to the wolfy thingy atleast but it does it equal 16 ÷ 2*[8-3(4-2)] + 1

() and [] mean the same thing in the context of this equation no matter how you spin it. If it does make a difference independent of the presence of a *, then there is a flaw in the software. The presence of a * itself can cause a different interpretation of the equation, though. Evidently even different models of TI-made calculators handle 16÷2*(8-6) and 16÷2(8-6) differently.

Edit: Errr, what I meant to say is some models of TI calc handle it differently and some do not.

but the damn problem isnt written like that. ****.

48/2(9+3) =

48/2(12)=

48/24=2

you have to distribute that 2 before you divide. distributing is a part of the parentheses portion of PEMDAS...believe what you want oh well

But the distribution of the parenthesis portion should be like this

48/2(9+3)=

(48/2)(9) + (48/2)(3)=

216 + 17=

() and [] mean the same thing in the context of this equation no matter how you spin it. If it does make a difference independent of the presence of a *, then there is a flaw in the software. The presence of a * itself can cause a different interpretation of the equation, though. Evidently even different models of TI-made calculators handle 16÷2*(8-6) and 16÷2(8-6) differently.

Edit: Errr, what I meant to say is some models of TI calc handle it differently and some do not.

not according to the wolfy thingy, which is interesting who has the final say in the matter? there should only be 1 correct way and the way i see it is its either 288 and 17 or 2 and 5

Archived