Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

48÷2(9+3)=?????

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

They don't use the division symbol anymore? Next you're going to tell me they've stopped using the letter Q. My third grade son is learning division and they use that symbol, and I was a math flunky and I knew that ÷ and / mean the same thing.

Yeah, that's basic math, and all these math wizards not understanding what ÷ means is like a geologist forgetting what granite looks like. Crack a textbook fellas.

In elementary math, the division symbol is still used. But in higher level math it is always shown in either numerator denominator form or with a "/" to avoid this type of confusion.

Seriously, I have no idea why they would not understand that symbol.

Everyone understands what the symbol itself means. The problem is just that in mentally translating the equation to a more natural form it's pretty easy to slip up, particularly if you answered the question extremely quickly.

Everyone understands what the symbol itself means. The problem is just that in mentally translating the equation to a more natural form it's pretty easy to slip up, particularly if you answered the question extremely quickly.

So the smart guys got it wrong because they rushed it, and us losers got it right because we had to count on our toes! w00t!! Score one for the back of the class!!

In elementary math, the division symbol is still used. But in higher level math it is always shown in either numerator denominator form or with a "/" to avoid this type of confusion.

Why would it cause confusion if that is what you were taught as a kid ? And if that's the case use the symbol they know.

The random use of symbols is what makes it harder for some to understand. It is elementary, but some folks are challenged by numbers and such.

Why teach those if you are changing them ? Fortunately it has started at a younger age because of computers and such.

The nice thing about math is that there are no gray areas, only right or wrong.
Actually, there are two equally right answers to the equation as it is indefinite as to the solution.

Some have posted the answer to be: (48 ÷ 2) * (9 + 3) = 288, but this is not the definitive answer.

In math, the functions of addition/subtraction and multiplication/division are not defined as to which happens in relation to the other (regardless of what google says, that only reports the highest number of replies, not the answer).

Without the second set of parenthesis, the is no final answer.

You realize you just contradicted yourself right? If there is no gray area, how can you then just create one out of thin air?

No matter the order in which you do this equation, 48/2=24. There is no gray area there. 9+3=12. Nope. No gray area. As has been stated, this is basic high school math. The parenthesis directly adjacent the 2 means you multiply the solution inside the parentheses with the number outside. In this case, the problem is 24x12. The solution is 288.

No gray area. No CYOB in this scenario either.

Honestly, the education system in America sucks. The replies in this thread have been good, but this other forum was full of people saying the answer was 2. This is why China is passing us by, I guarantee a forum full of chinese 8th graders would all have the right answer

Confusion, it's division what's confusing about it? 48÷2 = 48/2.

but this isn't 48÷2, this is 48÷2(9+3). In any textbook, this problem is written one two ways to eliminate any ambiguity.

either gif&s=3&w=66&h=36 or gif&s=4&w=58&h=39

You will NEVER see it written as

48÷2(9+3).

Oh and MATLAB confirms it as 288. Anyone who has used MATLAB knows that it is never wrong.

Honestly, the education system in America sucks. The replies in this thread have been good, but this other forum was full of people saying the answer was 2. This is why China is passing us by, I guarantee a forum full of chinese 8th graders would all have the right answer

How do you know I'm not Chinese? :silly:

but this isn't 48÷2, this is 48÷2(9+3). In any textbook, this problem is written one two ways to eliminate any ambiguity.

either gif&s=3&w=66&h=36 or gif&s=4&w=58&h=39

You will NEVER see it written as

48÷2(9+3).

Oh and MATLAB confirms it as 288. Anyone who has used MATLAB knows that it is never wrong.

Here's the deal, when I see 48÷2(9+3) it is nine plus three, forty eight divided by two times twelve, and that is the correct way to read it and do it, I can't help that all the higher math guys forgot basic elementary notation.:ols: There is no difference between the order of operations in 48÷2(9+3) and in 48/2(9+3) it's the same the only thing that is different is variant of ÷ is used.

Ok Slacky, lets see how smart you really are. I know the correct answer to this problem. Solve this and reply without using an online aid. lets see what you get..

Simplify 16 ÷ 2[8 – 3(4 – 2)] + 1.

Dont cheat fool, this isn't a real exam. Put your reputation on the line.

Archived