Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

48÷2(9+3)=?????

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, why don't you do 16/2 before you do 2*2? If MD is from left to right, why does multiplication come first in this one?

Annnnd this is why people don't write equations this way. For ****'s sake, this **** is less intuitive than basic calculus.

how do you get 81?

By botching the order of operations like the rest of us?

Yeah, why don't you do 16/2 before you do 2*2? If MD is from left to right, why does multiplication come first in this one?

I honestly don't know. Like I said, I found it weird that my mind put the 2*2 together this time but didn't in the OP. Whatever, I still say it's a ****ed up notation that only encourages ambiguity and confusion.

Annnnd this is why people don't write equations this way. For ****'s sake, this **** is less intuitive than basic calculus.

This. it's literally open to interpretation. Hence why in the mathematical world, this equation would contain two more sets of parentheses.

In both computer programming and math, I've always been told to use as many parentheses as I feel are necessary to avoid confusion when another person is reading my work.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 02:04 AM ----------

Well 5 is the right answer for that one, congratulations douche. lol jk

Seriously, **** politics. ES needs more discussions like this.

how do you get 81?

I even showed my work.

16 ÷ 2[8-3(4-2)] + 1.

4-2=2 16 ÷ 2[8-3(2)] + 1.

8-3=5 16 ÷ 2[5(2)] + 1.

5*2=10 16 ÷ 2[10] + 1

16÷2=8 8[10]+1

8*10=80 80+1

It's essentially the same problem as the first with the exception of the second multiplication function and the final addition.

This. it's literally open to interpretation. Hence why in the mathematical world, this equation would contain two more sets of parentheses.

In both computer programming and math, I've always been told to use as many parentheses as I feel are necessary to avoid confusion when another person is reading my work.

Exactly, the lack of Math education in America is what is leaving us behind. I'm glad Indians like me are holding it down.

That's always been my habit in both mathematics and coding, although I haven't really done much of either in the last two years.

I even showed my work.

16 ÷ 2[8-3(4-2)] + 1.

4-2=2 16 ÷ 2[8-3(2)] + 1.

8-3=5 16 ÷ 2[5(2)] + 1.

5*2=10 16 ÷ 2[10] + 1

16÷2=8 8[10]+1

8*10=80 80+1

and heres your mistake.

8-3=5 16 ÷ 2[5(2)] + 1.

Even inside parentheses (or brackets in this case) PEMDAS still applies. You subtracted before mutiplying.

it should be 16 ÷ 2[8-6)] + 1. You need to multiply the 3(2) before subtracting.

Exactly, the lack of Math education in America is what is leaving us behind. I'm glad Indians like me are holding it down.

It's 5.. You cannot just go changing around operations to what you feel is the correct answer. I took one look at this and the answer is five just like the answer to the OP problem is 2. We need less discussions like this. My non redskins friends are reading the board, messaging me on facebook laughing and calling skins fans stupid. This is basic **** guys.

It's 5.. You cannot just go changing around operations to what you feel is the correct answer. I took one look at this and the answer is five just like the answer to the OP problem is 2. We need less discussions like this. My non redskins friends are reading the board, messaging me on facebook laughing and calling skins fans stupid. This is basic **** guys.

:ols:

and heres your mistake.

8-3=5 16 ÷ 2[5(2)] + 1.

Even inside parentheses (or brackets in this case) PEMDAS still applies. You subtracted before mutiplying.

it should be 16 ÷ 2[8-6)] + 1. You need to multiply the 3(2) before subtracting.

Then why doesn't -6 remain in the parentheses?

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 02:12 AM ----------

That was your mistake. After completing the (4-2) you move to the (8-3*2) and start over with the order of operations. Thus, (8-6).

Ahh and now you know why I barely passed algebra II. LoL

Archived