Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

48÷2(9+3)=?????

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Yep..and your answer is one of the wrong ones.

Actually, there are two equally right answers to the equation as it is indefinite as to the solution.

Some have posted the answer to be: (48 ÷ 2) * (9 + 3) = 288, but this is not the definitive answer.

In math, the functions of addition/subtraction and multiplication/division are not defined as to which happens in relation to the other (regardless of what google says, that only reports the highest number of replies, not the answer).

Without the second set of parenthesis, the is no final answer.

Actually, there are two equally right answers to the equation as it is indefinite as to the solution.

Some have posted the answer to be: (48 ÷ 2) * (9 + 3) = 288, but this is not the definitive answer.

In math, the functions of addition/subtraction and multiplication/division are not defined as to which happens in relation to the other (regardless of what google says, that only reports the highest number of replies, not the answer).

Yep, and EVERY one of those links says the same thing.

I got it wrong and there was a time where I was pretty good at math. My problem was similar to TBLTO's, for some reason I processed the equation as 48/(2(9+3)). I would imagine that has something to do with the fact that I'm not used to seeing things laid out on a single line like that and I don't think I've seen a ÷ sign used in math in over a decade. At least I hope that's the case... otherwise I might have some sort of Flowers for Algernon thing going on. :paranoid:

In math, there's only one correct answer. And in this equation, 288 is correct.

2 is correct.

The proper sequence goes as follows:

1. Inside parenthetical - 48/2(12)

2. Multiply before you divide - 48/24

3. Divide - 2

Yes, I learned in school "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". PEMDAS which means P (Parenthesis), E (Exponential), M(Multiplication), D(Division, A (Addition), S(Subtraction). That is the order you follow. If you follow that you would get 2...

If the 48/2 was in parenthesis, you would get 288.

It seems that each student interpreted the problem differently, resulting in two different answers. Student 1 performed the operation of addition first, then multiplication; whereas student 2 performed multiplication first, then addition. When performing arithmetic operations there can be only one correct answer. We need a set of rules in order to avoid this kind of confusion. Mathematicians have devised a standard order of operations for calculations involving more than one arithmetic operation.

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.

Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.

Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/order_operations.html

The answer is 2.

Wrong.

It seems that each student interpreted the problem differently, resulting in two different answers. Student 1 performed the operation of addition first, then multiplication; whereas student 2 performed multiplication first, then addition. When performing arithmetic operations there can be only one correct answer. We need a set of rules in order to avoid this kind of confusion. Mathematicians have devised a standard order of operations for calculations involving more than one arithmetic operation.

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.

Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.

Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/order_operations.html

Archived