Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Virginia Tech's Williams Eager To be Main Man

TK

I actually don't give a eff what the eff you would love or not love. I basically just wanted to know what the general consensus around here was about James Davis. I included a couple of facts that I remembered reading about the guy and I didn't build Davis up or give any real opinion of him. So, your stupid ass comment about the Pro Bowl roster and Davis representing us wasn't even necessary. But then again that is you. Isn't it? I mean, that is what you do here. If someone doesn't see things your way or along with your line of thinking or punctuate properly, you drop some smart ass comment or make some attempt to berate them.

I've wasted time going back and forth with you in here in the past my man and I thought that we squashed the whole thing. But I've noticed that you do the same BS with just about everyone. If this is where you want to come to feel like you have chumped someone then knock yourself out.

Dude, did you have a drink before posting this? You have it completely backwards.

I said to ctrl+d (bookmark) the post, and then when Davis IS a Pro Bowler, then post it to say that you called it way back during the lock out. I would love to see the guy that everyone's forgotten about, kind of like Mike Williams or Malcolm Kelly, come in and just blow it up.

I don't see how you could have taken that offensively as I was blatantly on your side. :cheers:

James Davis is a good RB. He was a beas in college and I saw some promise in him last year in the few attempts he had. I hope he gets a chance this year but I wouldnt be suprised if he gets cut in training camp. Dont mind the people on here that dont have much to say about him. Most on here dont know if someone's good until they have a breakout game or the media hypes them up.

I like RW too but I would rather go aother route in the 2nd there are a few other backs that are good and may be available in later rds. DeAngelo Williams may be available in free agency as well.

But back to Davis...its all about opportunity. If he gets a legit chance to play then I think he can be a player for us. Its not like he wasnt just as good as Williams was (or close to it) in college and he did it for more than a year. He wont have huge stats because he split carries with Spiller at Clemson but he was a problem for teams to stop just like RW was.

I don't get a chance to watch a lot of college football, therefore I don't know a lot of college players. That's why I love this board so much. I've always been able to come here to find out any bit of information from the people that have one of the biggest things in common with me. (The Redskins if you didn't guess:))

I would also look at highlights, but those things could make a mascot look good.

Anyway, like you said...back to Davis. The only things that I have to really go on are highlights and opinions. Judging from the highlights that I have seen and IMHO, the guy definitely isn't slow and has pretty good cut back skills. The other thing that I picked up on was that he seems like a banger. He will definitely lower his shoulder and take people out. You gotta love that.

I watched highlights of R. Williams also. Like others have said, his vision and cut back ability look freaky good. But people who have seen both Williams and Davis play would know which one would benefit our team the most.

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 01:57 AM ----------

Dude, did you have a drink before posting this? You have it completely backwards.

I said to ctrl+d (bookmark) the post, and then when Davis IS a Pro Bowler, then post it to say that you called it way back during the lock out. I would love to see the guy that everyone's forgotten about, kind of like Mike Williams or Malcolm Kelly, come in and just blow it up.

I don't see how you could have taken that offensively as I was blatantly on your side. :cheers:

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 02:00 AM ----------

Wow, I defeinite found the words before. Didn't I? Now I can't.

I apologize big time.:notworthy

Not drinking...sons birthday at Chuckycheese...OMG in heaven!!!

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 02:16 AM ----------

Now I can't even quote correctly.:ols:

Once again man, I apologize. I read your quote very quickly, misunderstood what you meant and spouted off.

Maybe in other years we could take Williams at 41, but with Dalton just THAT close to us? Not a chance for me. No Dalton? Fine, get us a running back and a center, please.

And, LL56, any hint as to what positions may be taken care of in FA? I'm thinking Harris, but anyone else?

no one said Williams would get picked ahead of Dalton. There are other players looked at for that spot. At this point he is one option out of a few.

Flexx for your info they serve beer at chuckle cheese !

Maybe in other years we could take Williams at 41, but with Dalton just THAT close to us? Not a chance for me. No Dalton? Fine, get us a running back and a center, please.

And, LL56, any hint as to what positions may be taken care of in FA? I'm thinking Harris, but anyone else?

no one said Williams would get picked ahead of Dalton. There are other players looked at for that spot. At this point he is one option out of a few.

Maybe I just haven't watched the games in a while, but I seem to remember Torain's strongest runs being to the outside. There was one game where he was averaging nearly a first down per run, and all of those were off the edges. I don't have much of a highlight reel in my head of the 2009 season, though, so I could be wrong.

Many of his strongest runs were to the outside as were many of his least impressive runs. Generally speaking, your goal on the outside zone run isn't to take the play all the way to the edge. You're supposed to look for your earliest and best opportunity to make a cut and get downhill, only taking it all the way out to the corner when no cutback lane opens up on the inside.

I think you're thinking of the Tampa game (highlights here).

After watching this video of CP in college it reminds me a lot of RW at VT. Great vision and cut ability.

Both qualities are paramount in what Shanahan looks for in his backs. There are some notable differences, though.

Ryan Williams seemingly has a more upright running style than Portis, which makes him a little bit more vulnerable to the big hit and potential injury. RW also shows good burst but is still slightly less quick than CP and doesn't have the same top end speed. However, RW does demonstrate more patience behind the line which can be an absolutely invaluable asset in the ZBS.

There are some things about Williams that actually bring Terrell Davis to mind more so than Portis... but RW doesn't quite have the same level of physicality and lower body strength that made TD great.

We need a home-run hitter, someone who runs in the 4.3's who can light up the scoreboard on one crazy play.

No we do not.

Portis wasn't always caught from behind. There are many runs that only went for seven, ten, thirteen yards for the 2008/9/10 Portis that would've been touchdowns in 2003/4/5.

I wouldn't say that. There were perhaps a few runs where that might be the case but I think that, to some small degree, Portis' speed might have been a bit exaggerated even in Denver. Even if you go back and look at his highlights you should notice that he didn't seem to put a lot of distance between himself and defenders when he didn't outright break their ankles first. Now, he was certainly fast even by NFL standards but the main key to his early success was the fact that he had absolutely unreal acceleration and quickness.

Ah, okay then. I have faith whatever way that we go. Thanks for keeping us as up to date as you can!

And Flexx, all's well that ends well. :cheers:

We do not NEED a home run back in this offense. Would it be a nice thing? Well, its always nice to have as many big play guys as possible but the big play was NOT our problem last season as we were one of the best at it. Our problem was in the short game. Had our short game just been as good as our short game in 2009, we'd have won at least 2 more games last year (maybe 4) and probably crushed Tampa, Green Bay and Chicago.

what what, stonewall jackson represent :)

ding ding ding, i'd rather go the mike/bruce approach than the vinny/danny approach, just my .02

---------- Post added April-7th-2011 at 12:07 PM ----------

I agree, and you gotta put your trust in shanny, none of us make the decisions so you have to trust he will make the right ones

lmao a WR and a RB 1 and 2 with crap lines on both sides is the danny/vinny way. What wouldn't be is if we somehow manage to get good starters on both lines with some backups that can play a bit. Time will tell.

I doubt Shanahan takes a running back that early in the draft if this guy is expected to go in the mid second round. I personally don't find him that impressive. good vision, and he can cut and make people miss, but I see him go down on first contact a lot, get tripped up, and getting run down from behind. no top end/extra gear. I'd pass.

I'd go DE/or outside linebacker, Oline, D tackle or a WR.

lmao a WR and a RB 1 and 2 with crap lines on both sides is the danny/vinny way. What wouldn't be is if we somehow manage to get good starters on both lines with some backups that can play a bit. Time will tell.

Meh. We have so many holes that as long as we don't take a tight end or left tackle, we are set.

No we do not.

No wait, you are right...I hate long touchdown plays. They are so random.

jamie-1.jpg

We do not NEED a home run back in this offense. Would it be a nice thing? Well, its always nice to have as many big play guys as possible but the big play was NOT our problem last season as we were one of the best at it. Our problem was in the short game. Had our short game just been as good as our short game in 2009, we'd have won at least 2 more games last year (maybe 4) and probably crushed Tampa, Green Bay and Chicago.

I disagree because I think Torrain and Keiland are fine short yardage backs. Both can hit the holes quickly, lower their shoulders, and move bodies back. What we are lacking is a change of pace back and more importantly an offensive line that can run the system.

Look at the Top 10 rushers last year... 8 of them are 4.4 guys... and 4 out of the Top 6 have been clocked in the 4.3s or lower. Those numbers don't lie man.... Speed kills in this league and we don't have it at RB position- plain and simple.

No wait, you are right...I hate long touchdown plays. They are so random.

I might suggest that you contemplate the difference between a need and a want.

Look at the Top 10 rushers last year... 8 of them are 4.4 guys... and 4 out of the Top 6 have been clocked in the 4.3s or lower. Those numbers don't lie man.... Speed kills in this league and we don't have it at RB position- plain and simple.

The NFL's leading rusher last season who happened to play in a scheme that is at least partially derived from that of our current coaches ran the 40 between 4.58 and 4.76. The NFL's 11th leading rusher was even drafted by our HC and he ran the 40 between 4.54 and 4.72. Are you sure you don't want to re-evaluate your position?

LaRonDontLikeUgly - That is one scary picture dude ..

I do think people seem to think MS can pull a 1000 yard rusher out his ass but thats not true . I don't think we pick up a RB in high in this draft because they are not the best fits to the places we are picking . But I would not be shocked for us to take a 1st or 2nd round runner in the future.

Thanks for the info leap. I'll keep that in mind for next year.

One of the best backs in this system was 4.5 at best on a good day.

Retracted. I thought that you were talking about YPC, not 40 times. :doh:

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 05:33 PM ----------

[/color]

LaRonDontLikeUgly - That is one scary picture dude ..

I do think people seem to think MS can pull a 1000 yard rusher out his ass but thats not true . I don't think we pick up a RB in high in this draft because they are not the best fits to the places we are picking . But I would not be shocked for us to take a 1st or 2nd round runner in the future.

Well, maybe not out of his ass, but out of his ears, nose, and mouth, maybe. Look at his history.

I don't think that we'll be taking a first- or second-round runner until the Shanahan coaching is named "Kyle."

Well, maybe not out of his ass, but out of his ears, nose, and mouth, maybe. Look at his history.

I don't think that we'll be taking a first- or second-round runner until the Shanahan coaching is named "Kyle."

And that's only if we have a receiver, line, and QB.

Since when is a 4.5 YPC a bad thing?

I'm 90% positive he was talking about 40 times, not YPC.

Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell. Pretty damn close!

Incidentally, Clinton Portis and Tatum Bell are the only guys on that last that could run a sub 4.5 40.

Archived