Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Virginia Tech's Williams Eager To be Main Man

TK

Williams has better vision and feel for his blockers and his lateral cuts and quickness are much better. Torrain had a pretty good year but.the.knock on him is his health and he will not be a full time back so skins need another quality back. Williams might not be the fastest back in the draft but he did just put up a 4.43 and is faster than Torrain.

Back to Ryan Williams:

They both have good vision and cutback ability but neither are home run hitters.

Obviously, I'm just a guy on a message board but I don't see this great talent in Williams that some of you do.

What does he provide that Torrain doesn't?

I think RW is much more explosive, (has a great 10 yard split at 1.53) and has better speed then his combine numbers show

I think RW has excellent pitter-patter and cut back ability to go with his good vision.

I think that RW could be a 'home run' hitter.

And RW can catch out of the backfiled and give a match-up advantage vs a LB.

Torain is much more powerful runner but that's about it, he's much less physical gifted of runner then RW.

This is coming from a guy that doesn't think we will or should draft RW at 41.

I think RW is much more explosive, (has a great 10 yard split at 1.53) and has better speed then his combine numbers show

I think RW has excellent pitter-patter and cut back ability to go with his good vision.

Torain is much more powerful runner but that's about it, he's much less physical gifted of runner then RW.

Agree with how you feel about ryan. Depending on how the draft plays out Ryan very well could be the pick at 41 because he is in the running.

Back to Ryan Williams: What does he provide that Torrain doesn't?

They both have good vision and cutback ability but neither are home run hitters.

Torain's vision is actually a relative weakness with the result being that he tries to take too many runs to the edge and does not seem to operate as well in heavier traffic as you'd like. Williams, on the other hand, has excellent vision and is considerably more agile in the open field.

This is the only part of your assessment I don't particularly agree with. I'm very skeptical that Williams has the kind of top gear speed necessary to warrant that reputation.

Who is plan B at RB if someone drafts RW before we do?
I've brought up James Davis' name a couple of different times in this thread trying to get a feel here on whether or not people have forgotten about him, think he is garbage or can't wait to see him in action.

I was saying before that I remember that we went the extra mile to keep Davis on the team. He also turned down a chance to sign with the Panthers 53 man roster to stay on our practice squad. He must really love this ZBS and think that he can accel in it. Here's to hoping that he's right.:cheers:

I like RW but just not at #41 as well which is the only shot we'd have at him. People want to compare him to CP but I don't see it. I see him more of a DeAngelo Williams (both 5'9 215ish) type of back with a little less straight line speed. I would also question RW's resume (1 great year) and his ability to be a threat out of the backfield (26 career catches). But there is no doubt that his skill set is an excellent fit for the ZBS. RW is also a guy that doesn't put the ball on the grass (0 career fumbles lost) while that is always a concern with Torain.

Would prefer we took Univ. of Maryland's RB ... tons of speed, and is a game breaker

Somebody was talking earlier about MD and why a talented player would go there yet they always seem to have some high end talent (Kris Jenkins, Merriman, D'Qwell Jackson, Veron Davis, Josh Wilson, Heyward-Bey, and now Torrey Smith). I find this funny because I played there and I would fit into the low end of the talent pool. Dwight Galt is UMD's director of strength and conditioning and he's the reason why so many overachieve or blow up at the combine (Bruce Campbell last yr).

Da'Rel Scott is the guy you're talking about and he ran a 4.34 at 5'11 205 and he's more of a track guy. He'd be a nice late round consideration but I don't like his vision, ability to break tackles, or lateral agility. The late round guy that I really like is Mario Fannin from Auburn. He ran a 4.38 40 at 5'11 225lb and was the Tigers’ all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards by RB. Fannin could be an excellent 3rd down/change of pace back in the NFL.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 07:22 PM ----------

Well, let's take a look at CP back in Miami for a refresher:

Does he look like a 5.5 ypc rookie RB in the NFL to you in that? What separates him from RW? I have my own thoughts but I'm kind of interested to hear what other people see.

After watching this video of CP in college it reminds me a lot of RW at VT. Great vision and cut ability.

I like RW but just not at #41 as well which is the only shot we'd have at him. People want to compare him to CP but I don't see it. I see him more of a DeAngelo Williams (both 5'9 215ish) type of back with a little less straight line speed. I would also question RW's resume (1 great year) and his ability to be a threat out of the backfield (26 career catches). But there is no doubt that his skill set is an excellent fit for the ZBS. RW is also a guy that doesn't put the ball on the grass (0 career fumbles lost) while that is always a concern with Torain.

DeAngelo Williams is a GREAT comparision.

I watched every single game RW played at VT (including 2 live) and the vision and ability to hit the hole this guy has is incredible. He also has terrific wiggle at the LOS which allows him to gain 3-4 extra yards where another back may not get those.

His straight line and breakaway speed is above average. Yet you rarely see him ever caught from behind

Man i would love to take RW and JJ with our first two picks. Like someone else said we are really 2 years away from having all the pieces so as long as we get them it doesn't matter. Rex or Mcnabb could be alright with the addition of those 2 on the offense for another year and we probably have to go that direction anyways. If we do that though we have to sign FA o-line when FA eventually starts. We take those two, and get a QB next year (Let's face it unless someone unexpected drops, at 10 if we go QB we won't get value and don't even start with Locker) all of a sudden we are young at the skill positions on the offense (Assuming Fred Davis sticks around too).

Torain's vision is actually a relative weakness with the result being that he tries to take too many runs to the edge and does not seem to operate as well in heavier traffic as you'd like. Williams, on the other hand, has excellent vision and is considerably more agile in the open field.

This is the only part of your assessment I don't particularly agree with. I'm very skeptical that Williams has the kind of top gear speed necessary to warrant that reputation.

Maybe I just haven't watched the games in a while, but I seem to remember Torain's strongest runs being to the outside. There was one game where he was averaging nearly a first down per run, and all of those were off the edges. I don't have much of a highlight reel in my head of the 2009 season, though, so I could be wrong.

I've brought up James Davis' name a couple of different times in this thread trying to get a feel here on whether or not people have forgotten about him, think he is garbage or can't wait to see him in action.

I was saying before that I remember that we went the extra mile to keep Davis on the team. He also turned down a chance to sign with the Panthers 53 man roster to stay on our practice squad. He must really love this ZBS and think that he can accel in it. Here's to hoping that he's right.:cheers:

I would effing love it if you could ctrl+D this post and then when Pro Bowl rosters are announced and James Davis is one of our representatives, you post it again.

James Davis is a good RB. He was a beas in college and I saw some promise in him last year in the few attempts he had. I hope he gets a chance this year but I wouldnt be suprised if he gets cut in training camp. Dont mind the people on here that dont have much to say about him. Most on here dont know if someone's good until they have a breakout game or the media hypes them up.

I like RW too but I would rather go aother route in the 2nd there are a few other backs that are good and may be available in later rds. DeAngelo Williams may be available in free agency as well.

But back to Davis...its all about opportunity. If he gets a legit chance to play then I think he can be a player for us. Its not like he wasnt just as good as Williams was (or close to it) in college and he did it for more than a year. He wont have huge stats because he split carries with Spiller at Clemson but he was a problem for teams to stop just like RW was.

Maybe I just haven't watched the games in a while, but I seem to remember Torain's strongest runs being to the outside. There was one game where he was averaging nearly a first down per run, and all of those were off the edges. I don't have much of a highlight reel in my head of the 2009 season, though, so I could be wrong.

EEqXrE2PV0g

James Davis is a good RB. He was a beas in college and I saw some promise in him last year in the few attempts he had. I hope he gets a chance this year but I wouldnt be suprised if he gets cut in training camp. Dont mind the people on here that dont have much to say about him. Most on here dont know if someone's good until they have a breakout game or the media hypes them up.

I like RW too but I would rather go aother route in the 2nd there are a few other backs that are good and may be available in later rds. DeAngelo Williams may be available in free agency as well.

But back to Davis...its all about opportunity. If he gets a legit chance to play then I think he can be a player for us. Its not like he wasnt just as good as Williams was (or close to it) in college and he did it for more than a year. He wont have huge stats because he split carries with Spiller at Clemson but he was a problem for teams to stop just like RW was.

James Davis had a pretty impressive career at Clemson. 3800+ YDs, 47 TDs and over 5 YDs per carry. He has good size at 5'11 218 and had a 4.55 40 with a 1.53 10 YD spilt at the combine. At his pro day he improved his 40 to 4.45 and his 10 YD split to 1.50. I like his potential and he's another reason why I'm against taking a RB at #41.

Davis is looked at a longshot to make it out of camp. They like keiland and his versatility and improvement on 3rd down towards the end of the season.Torrain is going to get his oppurtunity to show he can stay healthy. One spot is open for a back and ultimately its for the number 1 or 1a spot.

Davis is looked at a longshot to make it out of camp. They like keiland and his versatility and improvement on 3rd down towards the end of the season.Torrain is going to get his oppurtunity to show he can stay healthy. One spot is open for a back and ultimately its for the number 1 or 1a spot.

I can see that. I'd think that if KW could drop 10LBs (he's 233lbs) he'd pick up some some quicks but he was a nice surprise as a 3rd RD back and got better in pass pro. There is definitely a need at RB and I'm not sure KW could step into a starting role so the draft should be interesting. I'm still more comfortable at RB than our NT, OG, C, DE, OLB, CB, WR, & QB situation.

I can see that. I'd think that if KW could drop 10LBs (he's 233lbs) he'd pick up some some quicks but he was a nice surprise as a 3rd RD back and got better in pass pro. There is definitely a need at RB and I'm not sure KW could step into a starting role so the draft should be interesting. I'm still more comfortable at RB than our NT, OG, C, DE, OLB, CB, WR, & QB situation.

I know there is a plan if/when we get to FA so hopefully it comes sooner rather than later. Normally we would have FA before the draft and might not be on such a high alert about all the players we need. the draft might not look that great short term but if we combine it with FA after will look alot better. RB would not be my first choice as a fan with the second pick either so i understrand where everybody is coming from but sometimes you have to play with the hand your dealt if it comes to it. I hope everyone understands there is more than one plan going into this draft and as the picks start to go our course will be dictated and hopefully it starts off well. I do think they will fill or try to fill a minimum of 5 of the positions with the best quality talent they can so lets cross our fingers.

I know there is a plan if/when we get to FA so hopefully it comes sooner rather than later. Normally we would have FA before the draft and might not be on such a high alert about all the players we need. the draft might not look that great short term but if we combine it with FA after will look alot better. RB would not be my first choice as a fan with the second pick either so i understrand where everybody is coming from but sometimes you have to play with the hand your dealt if it comes to it. I hope everyone understands there is more than one plan going into this draft and as the picks start to go our course will be dictated and hopefully it starts off well. I do think they will fill or try to fill a minimum of 5 of the positions with the best quality talent they can so lets cross our fingers.

The Gov't got a deal done so the NFL should be able to as well. If we had FA (as the norm) before the draft it would be easier to have a feel for the draft but to your point you need to take the best positional value at every pick if there isn't and then fill in later. Less than 3 weeks away and I'm geeked for the draft.

Do we miss CP around here so much that we want another guy who is going to get caught from behind every time he breaks loose? We have young backs who can hit the hole and have decent vision.... We need a home-run hitter, someone who runs in the 4.3's who can light up the scoreboard on one crazy play.

The tapes on Williams did not impress me at all but I'm not worried because there is no way Shanahan will pull the trigger on this kid at 41.

I liked the way Keiland ran since training camp, I think there's potential there.

He reminds me of a Travis Henry.

KW has good timed speed but doesn't know how to use it yet and hasn't found the groove as RB that comes from getting a bulk of carries.

If this makes sense to you: I don't think he has the confidence to take chances as runner.

The result is an efficient no non-sense 'get what you get' type of running style that is almost fullbackesque.

I thought Keiland desereved more carries then what he got, it seemed that they were reluctant to give him more carries and he needs carries.

The bulk of his carries came behind a makeshift OL in the Titans game and he picked up the few hard yards that were there to be had.

I was excited to see Davis get some carries but that didn't happen either.

We just didn't run the ball enough and give the guys enough meaningful carries to know.

---------- Post added April-9th-2011 at 11:27 PM ----------

RB would not be my first choice as a fan with the second pick either so i understrand where everybody is coming from

Count me as someone not against drafting a RB at all.

I'm one of the those fans that enjoys a good RB and a good running game.

If drafting a RB at 41 means that Kyle will be committed to running the ball, then hell yeah rock and roll.

But, my gut tells me that isn't case and therefore I don't understand why a RB would be target at 41 considering (a) the numerous and imo more pressing team needs (B) we had they 16th ranked rushing attack by YPA © Shanahan and Bobby Turner success with RB taken after the 2nd round (d) Kyle Shanahan has thus far (for whatever reasons) shown a clear pass heavy bias in his playcalling both here and in Houston. (If you look back at running game it was soo vanilla, we ran inside and outside zone but we seldom (IIRC never) ran some of the other staple runs of the Mike S. Denver WCO like the the inside trap or pulled the OGs on an outside toss.)

If Kyle is pass game oriented OC like I think he is RB would be behind both WR and QB on the needs/wants list.

Now if we had Mike S. or somehow had reason to expect run focused playcalling (or at least balanced) and the offense design/gameplan built to feature the RBs and running game targeting a RB would make a lot more sense to me.

Do we miss CP around here so much that we want another guy who is going to get caught from behind every time he breaks loose? We have young backs who can hit the hole and have decent vision.... We need a home-run hitter, someone who runs in the 4.3's who can light up the scoreboard on one crazy play.

The tapes on Williams did not impress me at all but I'm not worried because there is no way Shanahan will pull the trigger on this kid at 41.

Portis wasn't always caught from behind. There are many runs that only went for seven, ten, thirteen yards for the 2008/9/10 Portis that would've been touchdowns in 2003/4/5.

I'm in the boat of not wanting a running back at all. Torain and Williams would be just fine with me if they had a line in front of them and a threat at quarterback.

Sorry greenie I should clarify. What I meant by understanding the fan view in a rb was due to all the perceived holes without fa. personally ill be ok with either pick at 41 but I do love 2 of them and one being Williams.

Maybe in other years we could take Williams at 41, but with Dalton just THAT close to us? Not a chance for me. No Dalton? Fine, get us a running back and a center, please.

And, LL56, any hint as to what positions may be taken care of in FA? I'm thinking Harris, but anyone else?

Archived