Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Virginia Tech's Williams Eager To be Main Man

TK

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Virginia-Techs-Williams-Eager-To-be-Main-Man/bd8d8fd4-c7f1-401b-a6fc-7a0e1a929d34

Virginia Tech's Williams Eager To be Main Man

By Larry Weisman

Ryan Williams always wanted the NFL to be his employer and he plans to work hard for that paycheck.

The Virginia Tech running back opted to leave school after three seasons (redshirting as a freshman) to achieve both goals.

Caught up in a rotation of rushers with the Hokies and having missed time in 2010 with a hamstring injury, Williams decided to take his chances in the draft with the idea of becoming more of a full-time participant on the field. He surrenders two years of eligibility.

“This has been my dream since I was six years old. This is what I want to do in life, period,” said the 20-year-old Williams, who has accepted the NFL’s invitation to attend the draft in New York. “I told my mom when I was eight that I just wanted to receive one check, and that was from the NFL. She laughed and said, 'You'd best stay in school.’

“Also, I didn't want to come back into another two-back rotation system. That's what the coaches told me they were going to do, because it worked so well for them. I had to be honest. I had to be stingy. In a two-back rotation, I might drop some more (as a draft prospect), because you're not getting into the flow of the game.

"Getting just 5-10 carries a game doesn't help you that much. A lot of things went into the decision, but the main thing is that this is my dream, and it was the best time to go after the opportunity.”

Williams ran for only 473 yards but scored nine touchdowns while missing four games with the hamstring. That followed a sophomore explosion in which he replaced the injured Darren Evans and rolled up 1,655 yards.

No wonder he wants to be main man, though he understands that the pounding in the NFL often leads to some sort of rotation in the backfield.

“It’s one of the most physical positions, if not the most physical,” he said. “It’s good to stay fresh and make your career last longer by subbing in with another guy who can be just as productive as you. It makes it a lot better because I want to be playing when I’m 40 years old.”

Williams ran well for scouts at Tech’s Pro Day on March 17, turning in 40-yard dash times of 4.53 and 4.54 seconds. He’s a well-packaged 5-9 ½, 211 pounds.

He could be attractive to the Redskins because of his running style. He excels in the stretch play, with a keen ability to choose his hole, make one cut and get upfield. That’s the way the Redskins like to play it.

He’s generally rated among the top three backs in the draft and that should get him drafted by the middle of the second round, where the Redskins hold the 41st overall pick.

The last two sentences show that Larry absolutely agrees with what I've been saying about RW. Which makes him a smart man for agreeing with me.:)

Also note, what I've been saying & what's said there as they're one and the same so again, no I don't want RW just because he's a Hokie & he's local to me. Had to toss that out there since one of you goofs tried to claim that earlier today in another thread. :)

The last two sentences show that Larry absolutely agrees with what I've been saying about RW. Which makes him a smart man for agreeing with me.:)

Also note, what I've been saying & what's said there as they're one and the same so again, no I don't want RW just because he's a Hokie & he's local to me. Had to toss that out there since one of you goofs tried to claim that earlier today in another thread. :)

Hey, we all have a lil Homer inside us.

Everyone seems to have gotten on this kick that any Joe Blow can be in the back field and if the line is good enough, then the back will get it done. That may have been true in the 80s, but not anymore. I don't have a problem with spending a second on Williams if the team is cool going this route. Quinn/Williams sure would be exciting. I'm all about getting the most bang for the buck in this draft, even trading for futures if no CBA exists; just to get max value ...something this team desperately needs. We need 10 or 11 starters. That is a lot. Any will do if they fit their position as the best available prospect. And Williams may be that player.

I just addressed this earlier in another thread, but it belongs here:

People keep saying that Shanahan has a history of not taking RB's in the 2nd round very often.

Well, he has an even SMALLER history of taking G's and C's in the 2nd round.

So, if we've taken a DL/OLB in the 1st (after a trade down or not), and we aren't after a QB left at #41, then its not a stretch to think that we'd take a RB.

He's done it in the past when he thought the caliber of player lined up with the value of the pick...and Ryan Williams at #41 could very well be the same type of situation.

I don't personally agree with it. I'd rather take a G/C there, after a trade down, and grab a Taiwan Jones later in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th. But I can see it happening, and that's all that matters.

I have been saying this since 2009.

Ryan Williams will be incredible in the ZBS. His vision, and burst is uncanny

Look at this highlight vs Tenn in 2010 Chik Fil A Bowl

MlmPveMhZxk

Or this run vs Miami in 2010

R2hHdK0brOA

Vision, balance, burst. He will be dominant in this system

I'm a huge Hokie homer@! I definitely would like RW to be a Skin.

His first year at VT was unreal.. his second was scarred due to a bad hammy. Dude is a monster and would be really easy to root for.. just hope he can be durable.

I'll eat my shorts if Shanahan takes a RB in the 2nd! We've got WAY bigger holes to fill ... OL, DL, WR & OLB (not necessarily in that order).

Will he draft a RB? Chances are very good but nowhere near that high.

We're 2-3 years out from being where we need to be. Doesn't matter when you fill your holes as long as you fill them. It does matter who you fill them with though.

I hadn't followed Va-Tech, and I'm not particularly a Hokie fan, but Williams looks like he'd fit in well. Nice cutback moves, and decent speed. While I'm not sure how well he protects the ball -- he looked okay in the few runs I saw. Durability is probably a question -- but that's always a factor hard to gauge. His younger age is a bonus, maybe allows Shanahan to work him in more slowly for Tourain.

So many choices, so many needs ... so few picks :(

Portis looked faster coming into the league IMO. Other than that they are very similar running the ball.

CP 2002 was definitley faster than Ryan Williams 2011.

Williams' game is his burst hitting the hole and his vision. He doesn't have that elite break away speed that CP had from 2002-2004

I hadn't followed Va-Tech, and I'm not particularly a Hokie fan, but Williams looks like he'd fit in well. Nice cutback moves, and decent speed. While I'm not sure how well he protects the ball -- he looked okay in the few runs I saw. Durability is probably a question -- but that's always a factor hard to gauge. His younger age is a bonus, maybe allows Shanahan to work him in more slowly for Tourain.

So many choices, so many needs ... so few picks :(

For now. :)

Quote ["We're 2-3 years out from being where we need to be. Doesn't matter when you fill your holes as long as you fill them. It does matter who you fill them with though".]

Disagree.

If I'm out on the lake and my boat's taking on water, I'm not oiling decks and polishing chrome..... Shanahan has an obligation to field the most competitive squad he possibly can at any given time in any given year and therefore, I think he's duty bound (at least to attempt) to plug the bigger holes first.

PS: Sorry for thew old-school quote... reply with quote option does not seem to be working.

Everyone seems to have gotten on this kick that any Joe Blow can be in the back field and if the line is good enough, then the back will get it done. That may have been true in the 80s, but not anymore.

It's probably more true now than it was then. The only fault in this 'kick' that people are on is in their tendency to downplay the fact that the quality of back is still a significant factor in the overall equation.

40 in shorts ≠ football speed, which Williams has plenty of.

While you're right about 40 times not always matching up with speed in pads, in this case I'd say the 4.59 represents Williams very well. He's got great burst but his top speed isn't anything special. That's certainly not a problem in this system but it is a little disappointing if you're going to spend a high pick on the guy.

Archived