Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ex Auburn players reveal pay-for-play details

BeachSkin

Personally, I'd prefer if the NCAA stopped pretending these adults weren't being paid, and instead of screwing the people putting their necks on the line, actually paid them for their work. Instead, now the NCAA pretends that no one "cheats," and then gives the schools billions of dollars earned on the backs of the "worker bee" athletes, who are then villanized for taking 500 bucks.

Let's get over it. Make it pro.

Oh I agree with that too. I was just saying that no one here thinks Auburn should be off the hook because other schools cheat too.

---------- Post added March-30th-2011 at 03:10 PM ----------

Uh, if what you're saying is that you think that Congress should get involved in something which (AFAIK) is not even suspected of violating any laws (OK, maybe tax evasion), but only of violating the rules of a college sporting event, then I assume you that there's at least one person who disagrees with you.

Nope, not saying that.

---------- Post added March-30th-2011 at 03:11 PM ----------

I say pay the kids, cap what they can make but pay them.

Yep. I am saying that.

I wish people would stop the players aren't paid rant.

Most major sport athletes are paid.

They get free room. Free school. Free books, free tutoring, and free food (plus a stipend).

In exchange - they work for those luxeries via practices and games.

Usually, they don't leave school 50k in debt like they rest of us - unless they are spending it on their rides and jewelry.

Athletic scholarships do NOT pay a stipend and many do not pay for all the books needed in the class. Further, you are "guided" into certain classes that often leave even the degree next to worthless (though if you know that the counselors you get do not necessarily represent your best interests, you may overcome that). Now, certain academic and "need" scholarships do. This was very recently an issue in my family (chose academic over athletic scholarship due pretty much to the reasons I listed) but I've also dealt with the issue myself and have many friends who also had the same issue arise.

Athletic scholarships do NOT pay a stipend and many do not pay for all the books needed in the class. Further, you are "guided" into certain classes that often leave even the degree next to worthless (though if you know that the counselors you get do not necessarily represent your best interests, you may overcome that). Now, certain academic and "need" scholarships do. This was very recently an issue in my family (chose academic over athletic scholarship due pretty much to the reasons I listed) but I've also dealt with the issue myself and have many friends who also had the same issue arise.

Speaking from personal experience, everything I said was correct at my school.

Tuition, books, room, food, etc was paid. Stipend was given.

I don't see how this is something the federal government should be involved in. Even if it really were up to them to step in to sort things out, how do you stop boosters from handing a kid an envelope full of cash?

Actually, there is more reason here than in the Bonds case. Many of these colleges are public universities or universities that take federal dollar so based on the reasoning in US v Grove City College and US v. Harvard, this is VERY much a federal issue.

Speaking from personal experience, everything I said was correct at my school.

Tuition, books, room, food, etc was paid. Stipend was given.

I know that stipend and not ALL books were paid for by Big 10 schools as of 2007 from personal experience and was told that NO D1 school pays for ALL books. I also know from personal experience that such things were not done (at least above board though it was done under the table all the time) in the old SWC and in the Big East back in the 80s and early 90s. I've also been told that D2 schools don't do it (but don't know first hand). At least not on athletic scholarships, you can in some schools get a "need-based" scholarship added or do it under the table.

I wish people would stop the players aren't paid rant.

Most major sport athletes are paid.

They get free room. Free school. Free books, free tutoring, and free food (plus a stipend).

In exchange - they work for those luxeries via practices and games.

Usually, they don't leave school 50k in debt like they rest of us - unless they are spending it on their rides and jewelry.

That's crap, because every other college student who is on a full ride scholarship is still allowed to go out and get a job and earn as much money as they please and no one says a word. So please don't act like college athletes are treated just like every other student because they aren't.

I Pray for the death penalty. The SEC has ruined the integrity of NCAA football.

Wait, what?

You realize that this sort of stuff is a very long going issue in both football and basketball?

You should look up what was going on at UCLA under John Wooden.

It's not like USC/UNC/Auburn is just starting this revolution in major men's college athletics.

Did you guys see that the Fiesta Bowl is being investigated and the BCS may drop them? Saw it on ESPN this morning.

Saw an article (on my phone) that said that there's gonna be a push to kick Fiesta out of the BCS. (They're shocked, shocked I say, to hear that these things are going on.)

Said pressure is (supposedly) going to come from the Cotton Bowl, which isn't a part of the BCS because their stadium isn't big enough, and from Jerry Jones, who owns a really big stadium that just hosted a Super Bowl.

Edit: Link to article. (There's a lot of information there.)

Wait, what?

You realize that this sort of stuff is a very long going issue in both football and basketball?

You should look up what was going on at UCLA under John Wooden.

It's not like USC/UNC/Auburn is just starting this revolution in major men's college athletics.

You are right; however, going all the way back to Bear Bryant's Alabama teams it seems that the culture of corruption had its genesis in the SEC. Hell, SEC fans most definitely suscribe to the "if ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin" mantra. It's sickening.

The funniest thing about the NCAA is that every big game telecast honors some sort of scholar athlete, who typically is barely treading above a 3.0 in some major like "local government". Give me a ****ing break.

And then you have ones like Emeka Okafor:

His major at UConn was finance, and he graduated with honors after three years in May 2004 with a 3.8 GPA. One of his last courses at UConn was an honors-level finance course where students were allowed to make investment decisions for a small portion of UConn's endowment. Okafor was named the Academic All-American of the Year in 2004 for his work on and off the court.
Star player, star student, lottery pick.

Did anyone else watch Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel last night? As the article stated it covered this and much more.

It also covered other subjects as Ed O'Bannon (UCLA basketball) filing a class action lawsuit against the NCAA for using his likeness in video games.

It also covered other subjects as Ed O'Bannon (UCLA basketball) filing a class action lawsuit against the NCAA for using his likeness in video games.

Yeah, this is a really interesting part of this whole situation that the NCAA is making even more money off of these players while they do all the work in the hope of a sports future. What's even more interesting and I'm actually thinking this for the first time as I'm writing is that the NCAA is so proud of their commercials that show student athletes and how 95% of them will "go pro in something other than sports", sometimes this whole debate gets focused on the minority of athletes that will go pro while it ignores the myriad of athletes who will in the end never make a time off their athletic talents, meanwhile the schools and the NCAA reap huge profits from their labors.

Maybe if coaches just stuck to the principles that are there then there's no need to pay them. The education (make it a true priority), then room and board, maybe a little spending money and cover travel costs back home. It's not like they aren't getting nothing. They SHOULD be getting an education at a top institution with free room and board. That's not for nothing.

Maybe if coaches just stuck to the principles that are there then there's no need to pay them. The education (make it a true priority), then room and board, maybe a little spending money and cover travel costs back home. It's not like they aren't getting nothing. They SHOULD be getting an education at a top institution with free room and board. That's not for nothing.

The thinking is that the athletic programs are more like technology schools as opposed to traditional education, as such the priority is not so much the degree but getting the athlete ready to be a professional. Once upon a time back when TV was in black and white and basketball shorts were Daisey Dukes the priority was on attaining a degree, but times have changed, and with as much money as is being thrown at these kids both during college and the potential money after college we're not going to change that any time soon.

What's more is that the student athletes are responsible for the colleges earning more money than the benefits that the colleges ever give the students through tuition, room and board etc. If anything the students are doing a favor for the colleges, and the athletes and the boosters, and the administrations all know it.

BTW what other student programs do the colleges and NCAA make millions off their hard work as undergraduates? I honestly can't recall the last time I tuned in to watch a geometry test.

Put simply, this.....was not paid for by the Social Science Department.

kfc-yum-center-grand-opening-11-16-10-025.png

That's crap, because every other college student who is on a full ride scholarship is still allowed to go out and get a job and earn as much money as they please and no one says a word. So please don't act like college athletes are treated just like every other student because they aren't.

So are NCAA athletes not allowed to get jobs while participating in sports?

Archived