Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ex Auburn players reveal pay-for-play details

BeachSkin

If the NCAA turned a blind eye to Cam Newton, there is nothing to make me think they won't do the same here.

I'm still hopeful... the NCAA had nothing but rumors to go on, unfortunately, so no evidence could be found. Hopefully a further investigation, especially with former players cooperating, will turn up something more.

I'm still hopeful... the NCAA had nothing but rumors to go on, unfortunately, so no evidence could be found. Hopefully a further investigation, especially with former players cooperating, will turn up something more.

There was evidence. The FBI was involved. But someone decided not to push it.

I love the "well everybody is doing it so it's ok" menatility.

College sports are supposed to be somewhat honorable, if this stuff is going on it needs to be stopped. How is this not a priority for the idiots in Washington but Barry Bonds using steroids is? Seriously? Lets get our priorities straight.

College sports are supposed to be somewhat honorable, if this stuff is going on it needs to be stopped. How is this not a priority for the idiots in Washington but Barry Bonds using steroids is? Seriously? Lets get our priorities straight.

I suspect that everyone in this thread agrees with you. I certainly do.

You'll never eliminate cheating in college sports. With players not getting paid, the tempation is too real with all the millions going down.

Did you guys see that the Fiesta Bowl is being investigated and the BCS may drop them? Saw it on ESPN this morning.

Which the NCAA would drop the BCS :beatdeadhorse:

There was evidence. The FBI was involved. But someone decided not to push it.
If the NCAA turned a blind eye to Cam Newton, there is nothing to make me think they won't do the same here.

The Auburn/Cam Newton case isn't finished.

NCAA investigators were in Alabama investigating a few people believed to be connected to Auburn fund raising and Newton, just a few weeks ago.

The problem is, the NCAA moves suuuuuper slow on these things.

Unless of course, you come clean on your own and offer to help the NCAA punish your program. Then they come down on your quickly and hard. Which doesn't make sense, of course, but obviously it's not quite a perfect system.

Personally, I'd prefer if the NCAA stopped pretending these adults weren't being paid, and instead of screwing the people putting their necks on the line, actually paid them for their work. Instead, now the NCAA pretends that no one "cheats," and then gives the schools billions of dollars earned on the backs of the "worker bee" athletes, who are then villanized for taking 500 bucks.

Let's get over it. Make it pro.

I wish people would stop the players aren't paid rant.

Most major sport athletes are paid.

They get free room. Free school. Free books, free tutoring, and free food (plus a stipend).

In exchange - they work for those luxeries via practices and games.

Usually, they don't leave school 50k in debt like they rest of us - unless they are spending it on their rides and jewelry.

I don't see how this is something the federal government should be involved in. Even if it really were up to them to step in to sort things out, how do you stop boosters from handing a kid an envelope full of cash?

Being an Auburn student/fan, this stuff really hurts to hear. It kind of makes me want to stop watching college football.

But what really blows my mind is McClover talking about people just putting sacks of money in his hand saying, "We'd like you to come to school X!" There were about four schools mentioned. Now, McClover was good, but the other three guys coming forward are names I barely even remember. If names that I can barely remember are getting money thrown at them by multiple schools, how much money have all the starting players in Division 1 football made? I assure you Auburn and LSU aren't the only schools with boosters throwing money at athletes. I'm sure it's probably done in most division 1 schools, and it really should be stopped. I'm just glad it's money from the boosters' pockets, and not my tuition.

I'm considering throwing in the towel on college football. I'm so tired of all this crap.

Uh, if what you're saying is that you think that Congress should get involved in something which (AFAIK) is not even suspected of violating any laws (OK, maybe tax evasion), but only of violating the rules of a college sporting event, then I assume you that there's at least one person who disagrees with you.

Yeah, I'd love to see a serious investigation, with people under oath and prosecutorial powers and all of that stuff. When the claim was made that the FBI was treating it as a money laundering investigation I was really happy.

But Congress? Seriously?

I'm remembering Mark Russel once opening his routine by stating that the Majority Leader of the Senate thinks that Congress should become involved in the Elian Gonzales matter "to take the politics out of it".

This is the whole problem with the NCAA, 1) the system encourages abuse, 2) the system takes too long to do anything about the violations until it's too late, 3) the system punishes schools after the offenders are long since gone.

I say pay the kids, cap what they can make but pay them.

Archived